Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'Liberty Cut' hairstyles from the 1940s

swinggal

One Too Many
I have added this video not just because it shows the shorter styles of the war years, but also because it clearly shows (briefly) how the hair is actually cut.

The hairdresser tapers the hair by running the scissors up and down the section of hair rather than cutting it straight off. Very interesting to see. Can't say I have ever seen this done in modern hairdressing, not even with the comb-scissors. Maybe it's the solution as to why curls and waves seemed to set more easily back in the day.

[video]http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=38060[/video]

swinggal

One Too Many
And the same in this clip. Look how he cuts her hair and how beautifully it is still set afterwards. It must really lighten the weight of the hair but allow it to curl well. Very does give insight into how cutting techniques made difference.

[video]http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=46722[/video]

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I use thinning shears myself to trim my hair, and it really does make a difference. When the hair is lighter, especially at the ends, the curl comes out better.

I'm fascinated by his technique - He appears to be wielding the razor recklessly, but the cuts come out beautifully!

RubyP

New in Town
I was admiring this video just yesterday! I did a little research and discovered that this hairstyle, called "the vingle," is just a fancy re-titling of "the shingle" haircut.

swinggal

One Too Many
He's using ordinary cutting scissors too. Well there you go Kamikat. Maybe you could try it sometime on yourself....hehe. I have 4 other videos where they use this technique too so must have been very common.

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
I think this is a cute cut, and while I'm feeling pretty confident about my pin curl and roller set ability, I am still learning how to work my hair and have questions about this cut. I currently have a very grown out middie, which I like with a wet set and without. Is anyone sporting the Liberty cut? How do you style it? How does it look un-styled (which for me, is wash, comb out and go)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou