Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Limited Edition Himel Bros avail. at Orvis?

SJC

Suspended
I rarely write on the lounge. You guys should be aware I occasionally swing by to see what people are saying. Oddly this thread is a bit troll like, and I don't like replying to troll comments but I'm quite sensitive on the matter. First off, regarding the ig post. A customer sent me a jacket to make him a jacket from. This is a reliable way to get an exact fit remotely. I prefer it to measurements for a lot of reasons but the number one reason is that you cant screw it up, whereas measurements can be taken incorrectly, confused etc...plus you can see the fit on the customer from a picture in the jacket and adjust accordingly. Its not a disservice but a way to get the fit just right as some people have different shoulder slopes, and other oddities and you can adjust for them more accurately from a well fitting jacket and a photograph. Now regarding "slagging" other jackets...oh I suppose I could do that, but the only point was to show the differences in stitching and buttonholes from an anonymous jacket, and there was no intention to include any brand and none was mentioned. When I posted the picture the tiniest corner of said brand was in the image which I didn't notice on my phone. The owner of said brand called me and I agreed to re-edit the picture so that the tiniest corner of the label was not there. He agreed that our jackets are at different price points and thusly we use different techniques which was the point of the post. That point is that me and my team {yes I have a team of 2 people} use old school techniques that are very time consuming and while the result is a cleaner finish it costs more in labour and time. That is why there is a different price point to my jackets. And as a final point, yes I work on my jackets, I do the finishing work at this point. Oh I also, design, make and tweak patterns, help cut, skive, go to trade shows answer around 50 emails a day, blog, travel, have meetings with other brands, manage banking and accounting, book keeping, answer phone calls and sometimes I get to sleep. Also I own several thousand vintage jackets and thousands of other vintage pieces because I started as a vintage dealer and blogger. I know a lot of shit about vintage leather jackets. About 3/4 of my jackets are original designs that I came up with to try and define really cool styles that could have happened but never did and about 1/4 of them are tweaked replicas of rare or iconic designs that I loved, or thought I could improve or came from Canada. Rather then saying shitty things about what I do ...which really is my passion and a labour of intense love, that comes with a great personal cost to me, you are welcome at anytime to actually email or ask me about it. I am trying to make the best damn original designs using the best damn techniques and teach these skills to other people. Yes, I think for the most part my jackets are better then most, I certainly could explain why if asked. Also, yes I make about 400 -500 a year, up from 270 last year, and its a strain. We are trying to keep up with orders which is very very hard because I can't find any skilled help to add to the team. Also Chapman is a genius, and he works by himself ...and in my opinion he is the best, better then me...but if I want to grow a real business model I can't do it on my own. Feel free to ask, and please know I have an intimate understanding of jacket making and business models, there are all sorts of markets and levels of jackets out there 30 dollars, 300 hundred and 30 000 dollars, technique and value are real things I am striving to bring the highest value I can at a sustainable price for my business. The end..please resume saying mean spirited things.

SJC

Suspended
Hi, I was quite impressed reading your paragraph. I love leather jackets a lot and only own a measly 15 compared to your thousands but I greatly appreciate the work you do. Do you have a website?
Steve

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I personally much prefer the Canuck.
Agreed. That's really the most important part of this thread haha :p

I would take a Canuck or a Brakeman over this.

Personally, I saw no problem with Dave's post, especially if he removed the label from the picture.

Honestly, I think a major reason why some of us were a little annoyed about it was that we, more than most other people know what Aero stitching looks like. I knew that was an Aero even without the label, which shows just how big of nerds we are on such a subject.

Obviously, I am a bit biased. I own one of Dave's jackets and it probably my favorite item of clothing I have along with my Clinch boots and a very special shirt from Michael Masterson. He is very no-nonsense, straightforward, if sometimes a little short.

Personally, I had a great time emailing and calling Dave. At the very least, he is honest and makes incredible jackets. The best I have experienced so far personally.

Last edited:

plainsman

Familiar Face
My view is that we should not overreact on this. Let's appreciate all these high end makers and enjoy wearing or looking at their creations. I like to see Himel jackets, though I do not own one (I am the proud owner of two Aero, one Vanson and one Goodwear - all the fault of this forum).

bretron

Call Me a Cab
This jacket runs only a few hundred more than the Aero 20s work coat I recently got, and TBH I kinda wish I'd held out for this :/ The cut and details appear striking. Then again, why stop at 6 (or is it 7?) leather jackets? Lol

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This jacket runs only a few hundred more than the Aero 20s work coat I recently got, and TBH I kinda wish I'd held out for this :/ The cut and details appear striking. Then again, why stop at 6 (or is it 7?) leather jackets? Lol

im-not-smoking-anymore-snoop-dogg.jpg

Benj

One of the Regulars
I love this thread, sorry for replying so late, haven't looked around here in a while.

I think it's kinda crazy anyone wouldn't like that picture, it's such a great example of why Himels cost a lot more than other makers (something he is criticized for A LOT). If i was Dave I'd get sick of hearing "why would I buy a Himel when I can get TWO Aero's which are the same quality??", and I'd jump at any opportunity I could to clearly show why mine are better (in my eyes) and where the cost is going. If you don't care that's totally understandable, but like he says compare apples to apples.

I want to see pictures like that of every single brand compared together so that you can see what is acceptable to you and make your judgement after. And looking at that picture makes me really NOT want an aero, and really WANT a himel, so it looks like it got the job done!

I love this thread, sorry for replying so late, haven't looked around here in a while.

I think it's kinda crazy anyone wouldn't like that picture, it's such a great example of why Himels cost a lot more than other makers (something he is criticized for A LOT). If i was Dave I'd get sick of hearing "why would I buy a Himel when I can get TWO Aero's which are the same quality??", and I'd jump at any opportunity I could to clearly show why mine are better (in my eyes) and where the cost is going. If you don't care that's totally understandable, but like he says compare apples to apples.

I want to see pictures like that of every single brand compared together so that you can see what is acceptable to you and make your judgement after. And looking at that picture makes me really NOT want an aero, and really WANT a himel, so it looks like it got the job done!
Yeah but the Himmel shiniki apples weigh much less than Aero's CXL apples, and are thinner and easier to manipulate. So, it's not really apples to apples at all. I suppose the Vicenza is more apples to apples with Himmels hide. I'd love to see what DH can do with 3.5 oz plus leather. Then, he'd have my full attention.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up

Yeah I did that in a thread once and got jumped on. Honestly, people like Aero too much here.

Benj

One of the Regulars
I'll buy the argument when I see Himel's start having problems. Since it looks like the thread Himel uses is thinner (and it's also all cotton, maybe that isn't as hard on leather as polycotton or poly?) maybe that wouldn't cause any problems you might theorize it would.

What is definitely true is that aesthetically there is a difference. I'd like to see Himel's shinki next to Aero's vicenza, although I still think the difference would be there.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Both makers have aesthetic beauties that are unique to each. Himel looks to have an exquisite refinement in construction probably on the top of the heap...Aero's jackets bring the viewer into overcast visions of the tranquil Scottish fog; a semi-cottage industry creation retaining the properties of nature and its divinity. The seamstress is not at all unlike the painter. Passion. Craft. Art baby. History. Homage to the living and the past in a single garment.

Last edited:
I agree...
Different markets really. I see Himel as going after the Japanese makers. I think a fair comparison would be a Himel side-by-side with Freewheelers and RMC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner