Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lindberg jacket, what type ?

Charlie

Familiar Face
Charles-Lindberg.jpg

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John, I don't think the print is reversed. Here's a better one with Orville Wright, Major John F. Curry, and Colonel Charles Lindbergh, who came to pay Orville a personal call at Wright Field, Dayton, Ohio, June 22, 1927.

Charles-Lindberg-Orville-Wright.jpg

Charlie

Familiar Face
You must be right, I found that it's very similar to some pre war french jackets I own, especially the soulders type of construction. Maybe he asks to just had the side adjusters to a french design civilans jacket ?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Amazing pic and jacket. Its lines are so clean - I'm not surprised it's a French design.

The cut, of course, is the raglan sleeve style, where the shoulder and sleeve are one piece.

BTW, I knew Air Corps officers were wearing the self-belted blouse and long trousers before the rest of the Army, but I had no idea they were doing so this early.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
I don't remember if it was the French aviators, or some other group gave Lindbergh the leather jacket, since he carried no other clothing except what he wore on the New York to Paris flight. Lindbergh even trimmed the margins on his maps to save weight on the flight.

Longshanks

New in Town
John Lever said:
Female closure or is the print reversed ?

Print isn't reversed--the Sam Browne belt and medal ribbons are all on the correct sides, and Aswatland's photo of him in front of the nose of his 'plane is also buttoned the same way. Interesting!

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I have a pre-war French coat that is just like a longer version of this but without the side adjusters*. I would go with the French attribution.

Incidentally, the coat I have will button either way, as would many DB coats of the period. Perhaps he just buttoned it up the other way.

* For sale, by the way.

winston

New in Town
The best president America never had.

That jacket actually looks like it would offer little in the way of thermal insulation.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
winston said:
The best president America never had.
Dunno about that. He was altogether too interested in that little "experiment" going on in 1930s Germany, and he wasn't shy about saying so. He also gave a 1941 speech about the supposed British/Jewish conspiracy that got him booed in Des Moines. It is very hard to get booed in Des Moines.

That jacket actually looks like it would offer little in the way of thermal insulation.
Leather is not so much insulation as an effective barrier against wind and water - 2 things that will make you cold pretty quickly. With sensible layering underneath it can keep out the cold quite well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk