Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lindy Hop

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
In the late 1990's when I was bitten by the retro/vintage bug I was more concerned with finding a seat at the bar than dancing:) . Over the years I've picked up the basic steps for the foxtrot and east coast swing. Lately I've been itching to get on the dance floor and the lindy is most certainly on the list of dances I wish to learn.

The Lark

One of the Regulars
One thing that's been really bugging me lately is doing a basic swing out from open position whilst using the off hand. I know I have to circle round to catch her back but I just can't seem to land it right.

My favourite move right now is the 'Day At The Races' twist. It's easy to do, but looks really swish if you flaunt it right.

Our teachers are going over how to switch between different dances now, so I can move from Lindy to side-by-side Charleston, then to running Charleston or squared off Twenties Charleston.

We're also learning how to throw in little extras with the basic swing out, like scissor kicks.

^_^

Claireg

One of the Regulars
Maybe Im a bit late to this thread, but i went to my first class last night and am still on a high!
It appears we have this fab swing scene here in Wellington which i knew nothing about till I happened upon them in a bar.
AAHHHH - other people who dress funny and listen to swing!
So after a night out where men asked us to dance all night ( not your average kiwi bloke thing - hence the suprise!) i decided i NEEDED to learn fast so I dont tread on all their poor toes.
Luckily they have just started a new term and Im IN!!

Initial impresions.. Its beyond awesome! But as a 21st century chick I realised its been indoctrined into me to want to control things - and its going to be so good for me to undo all that and let the man take the lead.
Wow its a bit of a revelation to really like it when a man says " Im going to take control here"!
Makes me swoon!

Any tips for practising when you dont have a partner???

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I learned east coast swing years ago and used to go out all the time. Now I never have time. I tried to lindy back then but never really got it down. Love the balboa but have not tried it. I like the carolina heel shag but don't know any leads to dance it with anymore. I know the basics of Jive but again lack leader to dance with. In fact we used to lack leaders in all swing that I learned how to lead east coast my self so my friends and I could still dance when no one else showed up.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Claireg said:
Maybe Im a bit late to this thread, but i went to my first class last night and am still on a high!
It appears we have this fab swing scene here in Wellington which i knew nothing about till I happened upon them in a bar.
AAHHHH - other people who dress funny and listen to swing!
So after a night out where men asked us to dance all night ( not your average kiwi bloke thing - hence the suprise!) i decided i NEEDED to learn fast so I dont tread on all their poor toes.
Luckily they have just started a new term and Im IN!!

Initial impresions.. Its beyond awesome! But as a 21st century chick I realised its been indoctrined into me to want to control things - and its going to be so good for me to undo all that and let the man take the lead.
Wow its a bit of a revelation to really like it when a man says " Im going to take control here"!
Makes me swoon!

Any tips for practising when you dont have a partner???

Just keep practicing your basic steps so you commit to muscle memory. I would put on some music too so you can do it to the rhythm personally I find that flows more naturally for me.

Chas

One Too Many
Learn compression and connection, then you're good to go.

~step~step~triple-step~ step~step~triple-step~

stay on the balls of your feet.

keep your ankles close together.

Take a lesson series with a reputable instructor; privates if you can afford them. Drop-in classes are only really good for learning new moves, which you won't need a lot of in any case; I know about 12 moves, tops; but I only use about 6 on an average dance night. Dance socially and try not to take yourself too seriously, which many swing dancers do.

Leads: learn to do switches. They're easy peasy and make your partner look cool. The simplest moves done with feeling and musicality are the BEST. Example: Peter Loggins and Jean Veloz (90ish years young)

Peter & Jean

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I want to learn to dance Swing and Lindy Hop so badly, I may have found folk that will teach me how here, that and I am trying to create a dancing venue for everyone to enjoy, I've booked our local big band, so here's hoping.

Give me a break a leg!

Blackjack

One Too Many
I'm wondering how the swing dance scene is doing in the Chicago area? Some friends and I have put together a Louis Jordan "tribute" of sorts and would like to partner up with some of the local dance instructors. I've been very fortunate to be working with a great group of musicians here, and the concept is bags of fun I hope theres enough of a market here for jump!
(ps- if anyone is around the Chicago area we'll be playing for the grand opening of the new Hilton Hotel near Ohare on the 28th, stop by!!!)

HepKitty

One Too Many
I've been dancing swing for about a year, there is a wonderful couple in Idaho Falls that puts on classes every now and then. swing, charleston, lindy, and now they've asked for interest in balboa... there is also a swing workshop hosted by ISU in Pocatello on the 18th if anyone is close by, a couple is coming from Salt Lake City to teach... Marla, PM me if you're interested, I may be able to hook you up with some info. I've heard the Boise scene is more west coast but over here we're more east coast, I just don't have any contacts in Boise but I can have friends check for me. I know of some dancing in Moscow, Rexburg, and SLC and can find out about Spokane if need be

I love dancing, especially getting tossed around :D

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I've really never been into it. I only enjoy watching it on old movies like A Day at the Races and Hellzapoppin...Anything else is just too watered down and not as visually appealing to me as the original, but then again, I have not actively sought out videos showcasing those that can do it well, not familiar with the whole scene.

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
Going into year 8 (CAN'T BELIEVE IT) and I still contest that there is nothing like the
-roller-coaster
-addictive
-better than ___________(fill-in-the-blank)

high and absolute JOY of lindy hop.

I personally use it as play time and connection-with-the-past time. I feel most "myself" when I am dancing.

swinggal

One Too Many
Mr Vim said:
I want to learn to dance Swing and Lindy Hop so badly, I may have found folk that will teach me how here, that and I am trying to create a dancing venue for everyone to enjoy, I've booked our local big band, so here's hoping.

Give me a break a leg!

Break a leg! I've been Lindy Hopping for nearly 12 years and Balboa'ing for 9. Love them both and they are like breathing to me now. Dancing purely for fun and the love of it and with musicality is great when the dance itself is in muscle memory.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I've been dancing since 1996. I took lessons to get the basics down and then I said "bugs" to the lessons, real jitterbugs are those who learned on the floor. ;)

I was very blessed in being around many great dancers down here in So Cal, I knew Eric and Silvia who used to teach at the Derby and knowing a few vintage clothing dealers got me into the group of the Hollywood Jitterbugs. I picked up the smooth Hollywood style (Dean Collins style) and I have watched countless dance clips and got the moves and attitude of original jitterbugs down.

Haven't been out dancing as much as I once did but, that's part of growing up I guess... not enough time or places to dance like we used to back in the 90s. And the scene has really taken a turn for the worst in the department of dressing up nice like we all used to do.:(

Oh well, I'm still true blue!

Chas

One Too Many
That's my attitude, too, Forgotten Man. It's a street dance. Learn the basic and steal moves.

Dump the lessons as soon as it's clear that you know what you're doing.

Marla

A-List Customer
HepKitty said:
I've been dancing swing for about a year, there is a wonderful couple in Idaho Falls that puts on classes every now and then. swing, charleston, lindy, and now they've asked for interest in balboa... there is also a swing workshop hosted by ISU in Pocatello on the 18th if anyone is close by, a couple is coming from Salt Lake City to teach... Marla, PM me if you're interested, I may be able to hook you up with some info. I've heard the Boise scene is more west coast but over here we're more east coast, I just don't have any contacts in Boise but I can have friends check for me. I know of some dancing in Moscow, Rexburg, and SLC and can find out about Spokane if need be

I love dancing, especially getting tossed around :D

Sorry, HepKitty, just saw this! I've been taking Lindy Hop lessons in Boise and I hope to take Charleston too. No one here dances the lindy or even East Coast, so evidently I'm just taking the lessons for my own enjoyment.:rolleyes: One day they'll come in handy!

HepKitty

One Too Many
Marla said:
Sorry, HepKitty, just saw this! I've been taking Lindy Hop lessons in Boise and I hope to take Charleston too. No one here dances the lindy or even East Coast, so evidently I'm just taking the lessons for my own enjoyment.:rolleyes: One day they'll come in handy!

lol my friends Rick & Meredith teach Charleston and Lindy. actually the first class I took from them was a Charleston class, and it's a ton of fun :) they will be at the jazz festival in SV so I will make sure that you get to meet them ok?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Land-O-LakesGal said:
I learned east coast swing years ago and used to go out all the time. Now I never have time.

This is me. I used to take lessons and go out - east coast, lindy, balboa, collegiate shag, charleston. I was pretty decent, but certainly not spectacular. Nowadays I just can't find the time, and so the only swing dancing I do is a little east coast or charleston at some of the local hangar dances.

I taught another (very different) style of dance for several years before I started taking swing. It made learning the swing steps easy for me, because the footwork was quite simple compared to what I'd been doing. I was also already accustomed to staying on the balls of my feet and keeping my feet crossed, those types of things. The only thing I had trouble with was using my arms when necessary.

My advice to anyone interested in swing dancing is to have fun! I see so many dancers (in all genres) who take themselves far too seriously. The best swing dancers are those who look like they're having a good time on the floor.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Maybe I'm just blessed with outstanding teachers (Tiff & Kenny, Joe & Nelle), but after eight years, I still learn things in their intermediate classes.

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
My partner and I are moving soon and with a bit of arm twisting I seem to have been able to convince them to take Lindy Hop classes with me!

I'm sure it'll be interesting as I have previous medal from ball dancing competitions (these included Jive) while L pretty much has two left feet, BUT has amazing leading capabilities!

I can't wait! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran