Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Linen suit experiment

RobStC

A-List Customer
KILO NOVEMBER said:
If you start counting where the digit connects to the hand, every finger BUT the thumb has two additional joints. Thumbs only have one, that's what makes them special. I can imagine the first knuckle (where the thumb attaches to the hand) and the second knuckle (the only other joint on the thumb), but I am mystified as to the location of the third one.

Could you clarify?

Presumably a reference to the joint between the metacarpal bone on the thumb side of the hand (which often moves as the 'thumb' is articulated) and the carpals at the wrist. So not technically a phalanx of the thumb at all :( , but certainly part of the functional articulation of the thumb side of the hand.....:p

A bit like the clavicle not usually being included as part of the arm (conventionally seen as starting at the gleno-humeral joint), but the clavicle clearly forming part of the articulation system for movement of the upper limb in certain directions of movement.

Clear as mud??

RobStC

(And don't let's start discussing in any detail whether the hyoid is actually a bone or just a lump of gristle that acts like a bone:D , otherwise we'll be here all day!!!)

I'll be posting my own thread about the trousers I had made, but I thought I'd chuck a couple of pics up here for comparison. (It must be admitted that my tailor had an original pair of 30s trousers to work from so was at something of an advantage over the OPs tailor.) Crappy iMac camera pics, and I'd just picked them up and didn't have any suspenders, so they're not hanging right.

At the price I paid (£30 for the work, £30 for the fabric), a solid dose of "get what you pay for" is inevitable, but he did exceptionally well. The vast majority of the details I pointed out to him are faithfully rendered. My thread will have detailed comparison pictures of these and the originals. They are made up in approximately 9 Oz linen. I have enough fabric to get a jacket made up too, as and when I find someone with proven ability to reproduce faithfully at a price-point I can afford.

BespokeLinenTroos1.jpg

BespokeLinenTroos2.jpg

BespokeLinenTroos3.jpg

bk

cookie

I'll Lock Up
RobStC said:
Presumably a reference to the joint between the metacarpal bone on the thumb side of the hand (which often moves as the 'thumb' is articulated) and the carpals at the wrist. So not technically a phalanx of the thumb at all :( , but certainly part of the functional articulation of the thumb side of the hand.....:p

A bit like the clavicle not usually being included as part of the arm (conventionally seen as starting at the gleno-humeral joint), but the clavicle clearly forming part of the articulation system for movement of the upper limb in certain directions of movement.

Clear as mud??

RobStC

(And don't let's start discussing in any detail whether the hyoid is actually a bone or just a lump of gristle that acts like a bone:D , otherwise we'll be here all day!!!)

Do you bulk bill?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo