Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

liquid eyeliner?

ruby_cadillac

New in Town
LolitaHaze said:
Neat! Thanks!!

Awful lighting in my house!

8a04zkm.jpg

Top photo is the Guerlain, bottom photo is my liquid liner :)

olive bleu

One Too Many
i'm posting this question here because i am currently using liquid liner, but really it can apply to any type..i have pretty poor sight in my one eye, and really can see to put liner only on one eyelid, and the other i am just guessing really..does anyone else have vision problems that hinder a neat application of eyeliner? any tips that have worked? I have always used pencil, but just tryed liquidliner for the first time adn frankly it isn't going well:(

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Liquid liner takes tons of practice....

I remember before I wore contacts...that I could -never- see if it looked even from further away until I put glasses on ....while I have splendid up close vision....stuff can look a mess from a foot away and I would have not a single clue.....hehe

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
i wear liquid eyeliner EVERYDAY. a tiny bottle can last me about 2 months, i use Maybeline or N.Y.C. They all work very nicely.BUT, the cheaper the bottle ,the shorter it will last!:rolleyes:

Josephine

One Too Many
I desperately want to become good at putting on liquid liner. I know you have to just practice practice practice... I have a British brand that starts with an "R" and the brush is just so thin, I can't get a decent line. :(

Edit: Ha! It's Rimmel.

olive bleu

One Too Many
I am beginning to get the impression that my first bottle will have to be a practice run-to wear around the house ...my kids already tell me i look EMO whenever i wear ANY eyeliner, so they will love this. ha ha.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I use a matte, medium/dark brown eyebrow powder with water as my liquid liner. I have deep set eyes with heavy lids and black liner just looks too harsh for me.

Unfortunately, since it's not an actual eyeliner that I'm wearing, it has the tendency to rub up onto my lower brow that hits my upper lid (I have heavy brows). Am I better off buying a cake liner? Any good brown liquid liner recommendations?

Inky

One Too Many
The best tip I ever read for applying liquid liner was from a MAC makeup artist. Here it is! Basically most of us one to apply it in one long line from the inner edge to the outer edge, or maybe into to lines from inner to center, then center to outer. This tip said to apply liquid liner in short strokes and going DOWN toward your lash line, then start the next stroke next to the first one and keep going out to the outer edge, then make your little tail, if you do that.

Here's a site with some pretty good information (though the girl seriously needs a manicure and the background music is a little annoying to me):

http://www.makeupbyrenren.com/2008/05/tutorial-how-to-apply-liquid-eyeliner.html

Here's another:

http://www.ehow.com/video_4407100_applying-eyeliner-1950s-pinup-look.html

Pigeon Toe - have you seen Urban Decay's Eyeshadow Transforming Potion? It's meant for using your eyeshadows as liquid liner and I've read it works pretty well. I haven't used it but I love UD Eyeshadow Primer for keeping my shadow on all day (and sometimes even through a nap!)

Lillemor

One Too Many
I am over the moon! I bought L'oreal Super Liner Carbon black Gloss. I like the tousch (sp?) kind of tip but I couldn't remember which one I used during the 90s. It was a thicker felt tip than the one I have now and I actually preferred that but this isn't too bad.

It just occured to me that I actually took my glasses off this time while applying the liquid liner for the first time. In the past I kept them on and somehow just held the liner nearly vertically. In the past I couldn't get the liner (liquid or pencil) all the way in to my innner corner but with this one I can.:)

However, I can't stop from making a dramatic and long swirl at the outer corner I also made as a teenager. I guess old habits die hard. Now that I'm older, I just think it looks a bit silly and OTT. I dabbed a Q-tip with some WP eye make-up remover and took the end of the swirl off for a more natural ending line that just slightly turns upward.

I can't work with the soft brush pencil liquid liners (MAC and Biotherm, fx.) unless I make a dramatically thick line from beginning to end. Then it just looks like liquid eyeshadow on my lids.

Oh, and I just remembered that I start at the inner corner on the right eye but from the outer corner on the left eye. That just seems to work for me. In the end, you're going to have to experiment until you find out what works best for you both regarding formula/tip and application method.

Inky. Thanks. I'll check those links out just in case it can make my life a little easier.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I bought some "Prestige cosmestics" liquid liner in purple and navy blue (to bring out my brown eyes was the idea). It's just come cheapo CVS brand but they're working great. I pretty much wear liquid liner every day, especially since I got bangs.

PS

A-List Customer
I have a love hate with all eyeliner, but liquid in particular. We are more friendly now that I started using this product.
I sometimes use an fine painting brush and water with a shadow to make my line. Or a gel/cream liner like MAC Blacktrack., but this pen is the easiest.
I always start in the middle. Then to the tail, which i have a hard time getting to match then the inside of the eye

tm_fine_el.jpg

Shiseido The Makeup Fine Eyeliner

Its neat beacuase you buy the whole shebang at once for twenty something then you just replace the cartridge of "ink" for 11. So once you are comfortable using it you never have to give it up because it will be the same one forever.

PS

A-List Customer
yes, every time you want to use it you push the button on top and give it a few shakes. it doesn't dry out because the ink is in a separate cartridge in the pen.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Ooh! That Shiseido liner looks like one even I could get the hang of! I used to use plenty of pink (Biotherm), turquoise and purple(MAC) eyeliner (sometimes all together in succession) to bring out my small, dark, eyes from behind my glasses and they worked well for that purpose. I just couldn't learn to control the brushes for a fine, even line and the liners seemed to sting in my eyes. Purple, sadly isn't that visible on me. Strangely, pink liquid liner works better to bring out my eyes but I didn't like the Biotherm formula. It was like a glue or rubber.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Darhling said:
I have wanted to try the Shieseido one for so long, but my current eyeliner seems to last forever lol

3 NOSY QUESTIONS:

What are you using? What sort of tip does it have? How do you apply it?

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Lillemor said:
3 NOSY QUESTIONS:

What are you using? What sort of tip does it have? How do you apply it?

MAC liquid eyeliner, the one where the container is almost coneshaped.

The tip is a hard and slim felttip.

I close my eyes and use an eraser-motion! no, with my free hand I pull out the outer corner of my eye, close the eye and start at the outer end, going into the middle. I then draw from the inner corner towards the middle. I am so bad at doing the little wing in the corner since my eyes are very differently shaped, so don¨t ask me about that! I build up the middle and outer end if it needs to.

Jojo

New in Town
for a couple of years i used the maybelline express liner. untill the moment that everytime i was wearing it on my eyes the lines cracked in the inner corners of my eyes.
Now I use the Revlon Colorstay liquid eyeliner. And it is really color stay. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy