Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

List of Custom, made-to-order, Fur Felt Fedora hatmakers and hatters

I have not looked at his webpages only hat pics on IG. That is very weird descriptions of felt and straws.
He’s new to me. $775 for a beaver fedora is off putting, but he’s stopped taking orders for the year so he must have a lot of business.

He doesn’t seem to have a good grasp on some of the basics. E.g.:

Furfelt is a type of felt that is made from smooth animal hair that is pressed and consist of fibre that is difficult to seperate, which forms a textile surface​

A genuine Panama hat is hand woven from Cuenca Cane. This plant is found naturally growing at high elevations in the Andes Mountains of Ecuador. Panama’s are a completely different from a straw hat. They are much more durable and can be serviced for cleaning.​

I’ve never heard toquilla straw referred to as “Cuenca cane.” Likewise, fur felt is described as animal hair that is pressed rather than felted. I get that you don’t have to know the terminology or history or processes in order to make a great hat, but it does raise a red flag for me. When I read his lightly distressed hat was his most popular further makes me question if I’d be happy with one of his hats. It sounds like his customers like his hats, but I don’t know if The Fedora Lounge members are his target audience.
It is striking the price differences between the western & fedora custom hatters. I have a fellow hatter close by and he is solely in the western market. His price is $1275 (using Winchester beaver) and he is fully booked making 4 hats a week. Another hatter making the western(ish) stylings except with the distressing is just under that price and is just as busy. It is amazing that Northwest & Gannon have kept their pricing as low as they have.
He’s new to me. $775 for a beaver fedora is off putting, but he’s stopped taking orders for the year so he must have a lot of business.

He doesn’t seem to have a good grasp on some of the basics. E.g.:

Furfelt is a type of felt that is made from smooth animal hair that is pressed and consist of fibre that is difficult to seperate, which forms a textile surface​

A genuine Panama hat is hand woven from Cuenca Cane. This plant is found naturally growing at high elevations in the Andes Mountains of Ecuador. Panama’s are a completely different from a straw hat. They are much more durable and can be serviced for cleaning.​

I’ve never heard toquilla straw referred to as “Cuenca cane.” Likewise, fur felt is described as animal hair that is pressed rather than felted. I get that you don’t have to know the terminology or history or processes in order to make a great hat, but it does raise a red flag for me. When I read his lightly distressed hat was his most popular further makes me question if I’d be happy with one of his hats. It sounds like his customers like his hats, but I don’t know if The Fedora Lounge members are his target audience.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I am not aware of any cowboy hat maker in Texas who charges under $1000 for a pure beaver western.

I have not looked at his webpages only hat pics on IG. That is very weird descriptions of felt and straws.

It is striking the price differences between the western & fedora custom hatters. I have a fellow hatter close by and he is solely in the western market. His price is $1275 (using Winchester beaver) and he is fully booked making 4 hats a week. Another hatter making the western(ish) stylings except with the distressing is just under that price and is just as busy. It is amazing that Northwest & Gannon have kept their pricing as low as they have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner