Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LizzieMaine on TV

Foofoogal

Banned
Some very nice FL sent me the link. Fabulous Lizzie. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap You were so on the ball with preparation.

We need a Lizzie Fan Club or you already have one here anyway. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I love this show as well.

Blackjack

One Too Many
Very cool, and IMPRESSIVE Lizzy!!! Also really nice touch to film in the studio! How did you happen to come across the vinyl copy of that show, it look as if it was just pressed... again really interesting

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I got that disc on eBay about nine years ago -- it's one of four Lucky Strike programs I got in an album. From what I was able to determine, they were recorded off the NBC line by the Lord, Thomas and Logan advertising agency -- which represented Lucky Strike -- for reference purposes.

The discs are Victor Home Recording discs, an early home-recording system which used a pre-grooved plastic blank and a very heavy recording head which would actually emboss the sound vibrations into the already-existing groove. The thing that made this system practical for home use was that the pre-grooved discs made an expensive feedscrew system unnecessary -- but even so, it was too expensive a system to sell in high volume during the Depression. The discs turn up today, but they require a special wide stylus for playback -- if you don't have such a stylus, you'll hear weak sound or no sound at all.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
The discs are Victor Home Recording discs [...] too expensive a system to sell in high volume during the Depression.
You're being charitable - the common wisdom says they hardly sold at all.

Anecdotally, they seem to have been most common in the NY-NJ area, the high-tech corridor of the radio era.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Fletch said:
You're being charitable - the common wisdom says they hardly sold at all.

Anecdotally, they seem to have been most common in the NY-NJ area, the high-tech corridor of the radio era.

There seems to have been a very industrious Victor dealer in my area of Coastal Maine -- the 1929-31 Victor Micro-Synchronous line is rather common in this area. I found an RE57 in my home town, and have run across several other models in the series since. But interestingly I have *never*, in thirty-five years of looking, found a Victor Home Recording disc around here. I think people who bought these units fooled around with the recording system for a little while but didnt want to bother with buying the blanks and just left it alone once they got bored.

Some people took it seriously, though -- I've transferred several collections of VHR broadcast fragments found by people in random parts of the country, as well as a very interesting collection of airchecks made by the president of the Rudy Vallee Fan Club in 1932-32. (None of these were Vallee broadcasts, oddly enough -- she had an obsession with announcer John S. Young, and recorded every broadcast of his that she could catch.)

Blackjack

One Too Many
Lizzie, I would LOVE to have a cup of coffee and a piece of pie with you someday and sit and listen to you talk about the OTR shows...FASCINATING!!!!!!! ( to bad Im in Chicago :( )

Big J

Call Me a Cab
'Hoover is the man'.

Unless Lizzie is talking, in which case she is 'the man', and looks better in a dress than Hoover too!

That was really interesting! Thank you for sharing!
Special Agent 5, umm....

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Gad, I can't believe that was five years ago and it's still rerunning. And I don't get residuals.

Why not do another one and make it longer. The last one was too short.
You have so much to offer.

oh..& get an agent or whatever to sign you up for residuals.

btw: how’s the Plodge coming along ?

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
If they want me again, they've got my phone number. I've been on there twice, and if any other radio stuff comes up for them they may be in touch.

The Plodge is still making a weird clanking noise. I now know what it isn't, so I expect to spend Sunday underneath it until I figure out what it is.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
If they want me again, they've got my phone number. I've been on there twice, and if any other radio stuff comes up for them they may be in touch.

The Plodge is still making a weird clanking noise. I now know what it isn't, so I expect to spend Sunday underneath it until I figure out what it is.

Is the clanking noise when driving or only when braking ?

* When braking, a brake caliper or hardware in this section is damaged, missing or was improperly mounted.

* When driving, the exhaust/tailpipe clamps underneath could be loose.

Last edited:
I can't believe I haven't seen this before!

I not only enjoyed the program, but it was neat actually seeing you, rather than reading your posts all these years!

Fantastic. Lizzie, IMHO, you did an outstanding job. I remember the episode, but wasn't on FL when it first aired so never made the connection at the time. I'll say it for the hundredth time - you have an incredible scope of historical knowledge and incredible communication skills (not just written, as I just saw) that - if you wanted - could lead to a career in some fashion. And we'd all be better off as the more you can share your knowledge - the less of a risk of it being lost.

While I know we sit on the other side of a lot of issues, and I'll be in the first round of those collected and shot in the LM dictatorship, I am still a huge fan of yours and would love to see your talent and knowledge - if you wanted it - utilized for more than just your incredible posts on FL.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic. Lizzie, IMHO, you did an outstanding job. I remember the episode, but wasn't on FL when it first aired so never made the connection at the time. I'll say it for the hundredth time - you have an incredible scope of historical knowledge and incredible communication skills (not just written, as I just saw) that - if you wanted - could lead to a career in some fashion. And we'd all be better off as the more you can share your knowledge - the less of a risk of it being lost.

While I know we sit on the other side of a lot of issues, and I'll be in the first round of those collected and shot in the LM dictatorship, I am still a huge fan of yours and would love to see your talent and knowledge - if you wanted it - utilized for more than just your incredible posts on FL.

I second this. I've always said that Lizzie should write a book!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails