Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ll bean flight jacket size ?

MGfan

New in Town
I am looking at an older one that is missing its size tag. The owner sent me an armpit to armpit measurement of 22”. Since that is an measurement made on the outside can the jacket be considered a size 44. Most of my jackets I measured come up 23”-24” and are labeled large. I measured my chest with a tshirt and shirt on came up with right at 44. My real problem maybe stomach muscle, I’m a little portly. Not real bad wear size 38 pants.
The jacket looks in pictures to be in very nice shape. If I purchase it how hard would it be to resell it if it doesn’t fit? It’s the one with one piece back and arms.

Modified_last_call

Familiar Face
I have on of the these LL Bean jackets.
It's labeled as large, so 42-44. The pit to pit on this one made in Turkey is 24".
I would imagine that if the jacket is 22", this one would be closer to medium.

MGfan

New in Town
I also have one of the Turkey made ones with the wool pile liner. It a large and also measures 24”. I’ve got a Cooper A2 that is sized 48R but measures 23” pit to pit. They both fit, the bean seems a little large at the top though. Not that noticeable until I sit down in the car though.

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
I have one with the green script LL Bean label, “made in the USA“, and tagged 44. It also has the one piece back. The pit to pit is 23 1/2”. They seem to put a big fit easement Into their jackets. The leather on it is really nice. It is the main reason that I hold onto the jacket, despite it being a little roomy for me. Hope that helps you size the one you want to buy.

MGfan

New in Town
It sounds like size 44 or 46 is what I need. I found a 42 at a resale shop last weekend and it was a little to small. Especially in the length. I really like these older jackets, they look and feel great.
I might take a gamble and purchase it. For what he’s asking for it I should be able to break even if it doesn’t fit.

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
I also find these jackets vary in their type of fit. Old school WWII flight jackets that these are modeled after were a pretty trim fit. More modern renditions are roomier. I like having a variety of fits in my collection so I can go from slim fit with just a t shirt up to layering over a sweater.

MGfan

New in Town
69BE6269-88DA-426D-A825-556FF16D816C.png

I’ve got this G1 coming to me on Monday and have a saddlery A2. I like the looks of my A2 but don’t care much for the way the arms are positioned. I know the Bean ones are better in this regard. The guy is asking $75 for the one he has. Which from what I can tell isn’t a bad price.

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
That is a nice G-1! I think I paid about the same for my LL Bean jacket.

Getting to know all the fit quirks of various jackets and makers is one of the joys, but also the sorrows of this hobby :) Sadly, it often ends in buying custom jackets ;) I am wearing one of mine today. They seem expensive at first, but you realize they are a bargain compared to all the jackets you end up selling or donating later because of one fit issue or another.

Test a lot of vintage jackets, though. I have found them to be the best teachers of what I do (and don’t) like in a jacket.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I've lost count of jackets that I've bought that didn't fit. I have a 42" chest and wear 38 pants. I think I can say with 99.9% certainty that jacket would be way too tight for the OP at every point, even more accentuated by the Thinsulate lining. Good price but not at all worth the time and effort expended on its acquisition. Just my two cents.

MGfan

New in Town
Fanch, I’ve decided to pass on it. Almost pulled the trigger but changed my mind. Seems like a great price for the jacket, but not if it doesn’t fit and have to deal with reselling it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points