Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ll bean flying tiger jacket

kojax

Practically Family
i was looking at ll bean leather jacket. the one with the fur collar and wool linging.....anybody know how these jackets are.....just looking for a every day jacket.....they look pretty good in the book and on line.....thanks

Bebop

Practically Family
They are not bad. If you like authenticity I would look elsewhere but for everyday use it is a good jacket. I had one that I sold a couple of years ago and was sorry to do so. It was a little larger than I thought it would be so I would consider that when ordering. Bean has a great return policy so no real worry there.

Mike K.

One Too Many
I'll second what Bebop said.
L. L. Bean provides exceptional products that last forever, and at a reasonable cost. They also have a great return policy if you are not happy with the jacket. Also, as Bebop indicated, a lot of Bean outerwear is oversized. While I go with my normal size for Bean shirts, sweaters, pants, etc., I usually go down one size when ordering any jacket or coat.

Juanito

One of the Regulars
My first "A-2" was the L.L. Bean Flying Tiger Jacket, and it has been well over 20 years since I bought that jacket. Mine was the Thinsulate lined version.

I ended up selling it after learning more about true A-2 design charateristics, but for an everyday wearing jacket, it would recommend it highly. Very durable, waterproof, relatively warm (compared to an unlined jacket), and the hand warmer pockets were not too ugly.

I also bought one of the one you are referring to--the "Navy" jacket with wool lining the fur collar. It was another great product, but I rarely got to wear it since it never gets cold here in Western Oregon.

TarHeel1911

New in Town
The Flying Tiger jacket was my first A-2 style jacket (a gift from the lovely Mrs. TarHeel over 20 years ago). Gym workouts and other weight gain caused me to grow out of this jacket, which still looks great. I just gave it to my teenage nephew.

I concur with all of the positive comments, but offer the following caveats:

I don't believe these jackets are made in the US, as they were when I got mine. Check with LL Bean to verify this, if this is a concern.

They have gone to S,M, L, etc. sizing in lieu of the more precise (IMO);) numerical sizing; my jacket was a 40L.

Not sure about the knits; they may have gone to acrylic instead of wool.

Still a nice jacket overall; the hide, lining, and knits all held up really well.

Havana

One of the Regulars
I called LL Bean last spring and asked about these. I was told that they do not have one piece backs, if that matters to you. Other than that, I'm sure theyr'e fine.

Gary Crumrine

One of the Regulars
I've had three LL Bean A-2's. One thinsulate lined (wonderfully warm) and one not. They have had 15+ years of wear and are still just fine. The third has outgrown me, as I bought it when I was rather porky and needed the size. I ordered it after I'd quit smoking and before buying the Atkins book. It was worn only a year or two. With this as background, and with the understanding that authenticity is not a consideration, I would have no hesitation in recommending the jackets.

If you want something that looks like 1942 in a box, you'll want John Chapman's http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/index.html

ldmax

Familiar Face
LL Bean quality.

LL Bean has the best after purchase support in the business, but their quality has declined markedly in recent years. Shipping items back and forth repeatedly gets old fast. My bad experiences have been with their nylon jackets, however. Broken zippers and frayed cuffs.

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
I had one and after a year it was still so stiff that the collar rubbed my chin when it was zipped up, and I never liked the sort of greenish-gray color, so I sent it back. They gave me a full refund a year after purchase. That's one reason I love Bean and have bought thousands of dollars of stuff from them over decades. Just didn't like that particular item.

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
TarHeel1911 said:
I don't believe these jackets are made in the US, as they were when I got mine. Check with LL Bean to verify this, if this is a concern.

The one I had was made in Turkey. Which at least beats China. Heck, Bean luggage is now made in Vietnam.

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
Older Bean jackets made in the U.S. are much better made than the new foreign made versions. If you can wait a while, troll Ebay and pick one up for half the price of new. Why pay retail?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran