Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LL Bean now selling a black Flying Tigers A2 jacket

Tell Kathy I Love Her

Familiar Face
Hi. For the first time in their history, to the best of my knowledge, LL Bean is selling a black A2 Flying Tigers jacket. As many may know, I have been looking for a black A2 jacket and have been enquiring here about them. The great thing about LL Bean is they have a great return policy. However, their fit on this jacket is described as "relaxed," which is a euphemism for cut with a great big belly. I may order one just to see how it fits.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have nothing against LLB - most of my wardrobe comes from them! But I'm sorry, this is lame.

It's not even close to having the one-piece back and two-piece sleeves of a proper A-2. And wow, it's available in a wide range of sizes: five - all of them cut too big.

G&B's Civil model is in the same price range... and it's a much better choice, domestically made and available in a wide range of numbered sizes, including Short and Tall variants. Heck, even that $195 US Wings jacket would be a better choice.

It IS interesting that they're offering it in black, though. Maybe this means they're finally shifting back to offering more items in black - like black jeans, which they haven't made for several years now.

Yep, my USW A2 is way nicer, and it ran me $195. Of course it's not an Aero/G&B/GW!
And, really, "Flying Tigers"? Hardly.

Last edited:

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
I have nothing against LLB - most of my wardrobe comes from them! But I'm sorry, this is lame.

It's not even close to having the one-piece back and two-piece sleeves of a proper A-2. And wow, it's available in a wide range of sizes: five - all of them cut too big.

G&B's Civil model is in the same price range... and it's a much better choice, domestically made and available in a wide range of numbered sizes, including Short and Tall variants. Heck, even that $195 US Wings jacket would be a better choice.

It IS interesting that they're offering it in black, though. Maybe this means they're finally shifting back to offering more items in black - like black jeans, which they haven't made for several years now.

I agree with this assessment. I have a Gibson & Barnes Civil A2. I bet you could get a custom made A2, with no side pockets from G & B. In the old days, (maybe 15 years ago), LL Beans A2s were in chest sizes, e.g. 38, 40, 42 etc, and were not as long in the body as they are now. Their "weathered look" goat is also lame looking IMO. You can pick up older LL Bean jackets on Ebay, and the sizing is better and is more accurate. The smaller old A2 also had a one piece back. I bought the recent LL Bean A2 4 years ago, they come in S, M, L etc, and they are too long for anyone under 7'4" tall. Even going down in size from M to S, the length doesn't change much (maybe 1/4-1/2 inch), I talked with the personal at LL Bean and this is their sizing now. The leather on their jackets is nice, but the cut is not. For a good black A2 style, go with G&B.

http://www.gibson-barnes.com/Civil+A-2/id/18/cat_id/18/prod_id/54/

Last edited:

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
Gotta agree with everyone else. 3-piece back and imported are all I need to know. Not worth it. I'd try G&B.

Tell Kathy I Love Her

Familiar Face
I want to thank everyone for their responses and information. I have studied G and B's site and they seem like a great, caring company and their Civil A2 looks far superior to the LL Bean.

Tell Kathy I Love Her

Familiar Face
It seems that Gibson and Barnes also has a great guarantee. If I'm not mistaken: if your jacket does not fit, return it and we will alter it or make you one that does. That's very good. This seems like a great company. They seem to make a better A2 than LL Bean.

The LL Bean jacket is now something that is produced in Pakistan, and selling on the reputation of a jacket that used to be better made.

Sadly the likes of LL Bean and Orvis are charging the same old prices for third-world products. None of my money goes there. I can find a US company and spend more, but that's fine. BTW, not just US - I like any place like UK, Scotland, etc. that makes good quality products. Just don't like crap made by overworked/underpaid kids if I can help it.

Tell Kathy I Love Her

Familiar Face
I agree that the G and B is better than the LL Bean, however, I am still not sure about the fif of their modern cut jackets. The US Authentic has a military, trim cut, but if I get it in black it is considered custom and therefore non-returnable if it does not fit. One might suggest I order a returnable version of a US Authentic to check the fit, but that's a lot of going back and forth to return one jacket to get another. A slight hassle. A slight dilemma, a slight quandry, slightly pleasant.

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
I agree that the G and B is better than the LL Bean, however, I am still not sure about the fif of their modern cut jackets. The US Authentic has a military, trim cut, but if I get it in black it is considered custom and therefore non-returnable if it does not fit. One might suggest I order a returnable version of a US Authentic to check the fit, but that's a lot of going back and forth to return one jacket to get another. A slight hassle. A slight dilemma, a slight quandry, slightly pleasant.

If you want to try G&B, I would size down one and order a returnable from G&B. Then I would make a decision as to order a custom non-returnable jacket from them. The $25 or so you'll spend on the shipping both ways is a small price to pay in order to get exactly what you want. Consider it the cost of doing business and avoiding future headaches.

Jaguar66

A-List Customer

I ordered a G&B Civilian A2 in black, in size 40, which I though would fit, since I already had a brown one from G&B the same size I had bought on Ebay. It was too big, so I returned it, got a 38 and the fit was right on. It was a slight hassle, but I got what I wanted. If it had been too long or short, then I would have sent it back for credit on a custom one.

Tell Kathy I Love Her

Familiar Face
Thank you for the information, Jaguar66. Can you share with me a little bit about the cut of your G and B Civil A2? I know it's a "modern cut," but just how loose and relaxed is the fit? Is it very loose, just little loose, etc. ?

Tombrooks621

New in Town
Meh I would say try it on in the store for fit and only get it if you really like it. No use in regretting purchases then having to deal with the hassle of sending it back.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Meh I would say try it on in the store for fit and only get it if you really like it. No use in regretting purchases then having to deal with the hassle of sending it back.

I think you are referring to the L.L. Bean jacket? I am fairly certain that they don't carry their leather jackets in stores - at least they don't at my local store.

L.L. Bean still makes high quality stuff, but many of the items, including this blazer I received last year, are woefully oversized.

It also bothers me where many of these items are made. According to their latest print catalog, their tweed hats are made in China, not Ireland. Seriously!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24