Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London in the 1920s

Lorena B

Practically Family
What a beautiful little video, thank you for posting it, i loved to see my home city back in those years

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Lokar, that was a real treat. I had no idea color film existed in the 1920's.

My wife is going to do a flip when she sees that English Springer Spaniel puppy in the last frames! :eusa_clap

Edward

Bartender
jaymag_87 said:
They're driving on the wrong side of the road.

:D

Nah, it's you lot (and most of Europe) that do that. I mean, come on, if the Australians can get it right......

(I kid, I kid!!!!!) ;)

Amazing find.... it's incredible how much it being in colour really brings it to life (you really can begin to see why colour footage of WW2 was suppressed for so long). Petticoat Lane is one of my stamping grounds today. It's one my maternal grandmother, who spent some time in London back in the immediate post war years (her brother lived there for a few years when the construction company whose admin office in which he worked moved to London wholesale, as did a lot of Irish firms, to take advantage of the postwar reconstruction work) always talks about. Really, apart from the mid sixties towerblock in the background, it hasn't changed much since the twenties by the look of it. It was officially renamed Middlesex Street in, I believe, the sixties, an attempt to move away from the associations of the original name. The old name has hower persisted, and the market is still known as Petticoat Lane Market (even the tourist signs brand it as such). Perhaps appropriately.... if you're out there of an evening on one of the Ripper walks, for instance, you do occasionally wander past one of the ladies working in the lower echelons of the service industry, who still ply their trade in that area of the East End. It's a lot less visible than once it might have been, but it's still there.

pipvh

Practically Family
Thanks for posting this. It's beautiful and moving - particularly the women and children at the Cenotaph. Edward's right - it doesn't seem to have changed all that much at street level. Even the faces look the same. Perhaps it's something that all big, ancient cities have: the past hidden only just beneath the surface, still there if you know where and how to look for it.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Really amazing little film - thanks.

'20s color film is rare, and one like this (not a movie, but real life) is especially a gem to find.

Lokar

A-List Customer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy