Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

long pointy collar forties shirt, where to get them?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I'm liking the "Tennis" collar that Brooks Brothers is putting on some of their shirts. They are bigger than the standard, though not pointy and straight as I'd like.

Marc mentioned that you could buy Banana Republic shirts that have no interfacing or collar stay slots... shirts that are just straight soft colloar and cotton and wet them down and stretch the collar.

Salv

One Too Many
cm darcy said:
This is a shameless bit of self publicity but I sell these shirts at www.vintageshirt.co.uk. They are available on line in white but we have jsut had new stock made in a variety of stripes.

Well, welcome to the Lounge. There are some nice accessories on your site, and I've been meaning to order some bits and pieces for a while. If you ever make a shirt with a collar like this one, I'm sure you'll be mobbed:
dsp_gh1.jpg

I just ordered two 3" point shirts from MyTailor last week. I think they're going to be a bit more modern than what I'm looking for, but when they come in, I'll have to compare them with my well-worn 50s narrrow points. I'm a fan of both the 2 1/4" and 3" narrow collars - the former for business, the latter for society. But I could never get on board with the spread collar at all. The only tie that you can wear with it is one of those modern fat ones like Trump wears. (Is it me, or are those ties hideous? Pretty tough to do, I should think - make a solid-colored tie look hideous like that)

BTW, I just got my first custom shirt from MT last week and they did a (nearly) great job. Again, I forgot to specify high armholes and wound up with a bit of extra material underneath. Not bad enough to send it back, but I did talk to them about my next order and they assured me the armholes will be higher. The two ply broadcloth they use is a very comfortable material. Came to $70 with shipping, which is half of what I paid for my BB shirts. Hopefully, it'll last longer.

Regards,

Senator Jack

daddy-o

One of the Regulars
Any chance of posting a pic or two of your shirts. Been looking around everywhere and it looks like mytailor may be the best and price affordable
alternative. checked out all the other suggestions but nothing looks really
authentic enough.....

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Anything more on locating the long pointy collar shirts?

Any further developments on this one gents..?

What good sources in the UK? I'm still on the lookout.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
PADDY said:
Any further developments on this one gents..?

What good sources in the UK? I'm still on the lookout.

I have found that a trip to the thrift store often reveals some interesting things. I notice that "sport shirts" made by various companies such as Banana Republic often use fabrics and collars that are quite long and vintage looking. Also, while I don't like them, button down shirts often have longer collars.

My idea which I have not gotten around to is buying two similar shirts and having a tailor replace the collar. That way, the cost of the hirt tailoring is avoided, and the cost of the collar may be like ten bucks.

Maybe if I find a tailor who can do it I could start a business selling shirts with new collars.

Jovan

Suspended
Indeed... Brooks Brothers makes their button downs 3 3/8" long. Not sure if it's always been that way, but if you were to not add the buttons, it'd be a perfect vintage collar. Long and softly lined.

Some companies make rather short button down collars now, though. They don't look quite right, in my opinion. "Club" style is the way to go if you want short points that stay in place, IMHO.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
reetpleat said:
My idea which I have not gotten around to is buying two similar shirts and having a tailor replace the collar. That way, the cost of the hirt tailoring is avoided, and the cost of the collar may be like ten bucks.

Not a bad idea at all...I gotta look into this!

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Vintage Shirt Co

I have bought from them in the past and been satisfied.

That was before I discovered that there is no shortage of genuine vintage shirts in used clothing shops all over the UK at a fraction of the price. I recently bought a 1940s Double Two in almost unworn condition still with its spare collar (see quote from their official website below) in a charity (goodwill) shop for 2.99GBP. That's how to shop!

'In 1946 when the war was over and the men returned to working in Britain's factories and farms, a big market developed in men's shirts which was the original speciality of Mr. Donner and Mr. Myers. They therefore switched the bulk of production to collar-attached shirts. But they quickly found that there was a resistance to purchasing these because British men had been used to wearing loose-collar shirts with stiff collars, so that the whole shirt did not need replacing when the collars wore out. They therefore decided to bring into play a patent, which Mr. Donner's family had developed prior to the war, for making and attaching a soft but smart collar to shirts in such a way it could be easily removed by pulling a tab sewn into the collar- attaching seam, and the free spare collar supplied with the shirt could easily be sewn in to the resulting groove. This overcame both the problem of worn out collars and the problem that men no longer wished to wear stiff collars once they had seen the softer more comfortable collars worn by American soldiers during the war.

Vintage Shirt Co. is still a good option if one insists on buying new, for some strange reason...

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic