Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for A-2 sizing advice

usdiver

New in Town
Hi All, As some of you know I purchased an Eastman Roughwear 27752 last year and though it fit great as I had it custom done, I've sold it while looking for an original A-2 from WWII. The Bronco I got was bigger than my roughwear, but not having the funds to get one while keeping the other, I've suffered a mishap but you live and learn. So moving forward, the Bronco I have is 25 inches from pit to pit, about 26 inches from the collar to the bottom of the knit and although I can get by with the length, the body fit I'm not happy with so therefore, rather than send it off, have it altered and destroy any historical value, plus adding a risk of the fit not looking right, I'm now looking for another original or a repro.
Question is, what length can I get by with, ie: with a pair of khaki chinos which are higher waisted, would a length coming to the bottom of the belt (web belt) while standing up be sufficient? I understand and know the A-2's historically were meant to be short, and trim, therefore keeping excess clothing movement to a minimum for cramped cockpit space. Or have I been misinformed? Obviously I want what's acceptable in the civilian world, but also what's supposed to be in the historical and real world, if that makes sense. The Bronco I have is an excellent jacket, and one to keep but on my it does look quite sloppy in my eyes.... any feedback? or am I being too critical? Thanks.

Picture283.jpg

Picture284.jpg

IMHO, it might look sloppy to you wearing the shirt and jeans. What if you put on a khaki shirt, or t-shirt and some khaki pants? If you have them...
From here, it looks pretty good!

usdiver

New in Town
A-2 sizing

Hi 61, Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it...and yes I do have the khakis, shirt, t-shirt... The jacket is quite nice but if you can see the side view how the back sticks out at the bottom, (due to the over size), and the front looks a bit pudgy in the sides. But then I'm my own worst critict, as most of us are. Thanks again.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hi usdiver;

Your Bronco's length is right where it's supposed to be in my opinion.
ButteMT61 is right......put on the khakis. The overall fit will be easier to see versus the jeans.

Remember, the fit of an A-2 (G-1, B-3, B-6, etc...)is subjective. One man is happy with a fit and another guy comes along and just body slams the fit.

As long as the wearer is satisfied with how the jacket fits, that's all that is necessary. And you my friend should be satisfied. I think your jacket fits you well.

Best regards, coffee

P.S. Where in Hertfordshire are you?

Looks one size too large to me(even though many were worn that way in WW2)....even the shoulders. Find one that you have no doubt fits you the way you want it to. There are many originals out there..however go by measurements. Some contracts run bigger than stated size..or smaller..even within the same contract.
HD

Last edited:
Looks one size too large to me(even though many were worn that way in WW2)....even the shoulders. Find one that you have no doubt fits you the way you want it to. There are many originals out there..however go by measurements. Some contracts run bigger than stated size..or smaller..even within the same contract.
HD

I don't agree, but that's OK. You need some space to allow for colder weather and a sweater/sweatshirt etc. Also, I just don't dig a really tight fitting jacket unless you're built like my 18 year old son - that is, like a stick or WWII mannequin ;)

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have seen you Ebay listing and wish you luck with the sale. Going by the measurements and in comparison with other Broncos I have owned yours is at least a 46 and most liekly a 48. Although there was no typical wartime fit your Bronco is little big on you, especially the length of the arms, across the shoulders and pit to pit. The Bronco design was quite an athlete fit anyway. If I feel an original does not fit as I would like it gets recycled on Ebay. I suspect an original in a size 44 would fit you well.

usdiver

New in Town
re: a-2 sizing

hi guys, sorry it's taken me a bit to reply but working nights.... Coffee, I'm in sunny Hoddesdon bout 40 min from London.. near Hertford.
Aswatland, I agree with your statement, hence my sale of the jacket.... Everyone here is correct, and I really appreciate the advice, comments and support on this, but when it's all said and done it is a matter of preferrence. My friends say it's fine and "ok"... but I'm feeling it's not. When I put on the khakis, it gets even worse and there is no trim fit look what so ever... I've been unable to get pics for you guys but I'll try tomorrow.
On another note, Aswatland, what is your opinion on a 42 Bronco, with 22 inch pit to pit? The shoulders are 19 and bang on, length is good... and given the fact I'm between 43 and 44 inch chest with a t shirt, which is all i ever wear with the a-2.... I'm thinking this would be good??? I was told all Broncos are true to size but this indicates the 42 may fit like a 44? What s everyone's opinion on that one. Keep in mind I'm working on losing weight and trying to get back to that fit machine I used to be when I was in the Navy, but not quite like a stick... ;)

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have owned several Broncos and have a 38-40 chest and only a 44 is a decent fit. A size 42 Bronco will be somewhat tight on you I suspect.

CBI

One Too Many
Yes, original Broncos run small and slim in my experience. Unless one is super trim, skinny, etc. a different - fuller contract might be an option.

usdiver

New in Town
Thanks guys, I know of a star with a back length of 26 inch but the chest is 23.5 which should be ok... maybe if I get lucky and get one to get me by till i can find a 44 Bronco? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany