Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a B-3 Sheepskin Jacket

Clothes Horse

New in Town
I have had several in the past Schott...............Avirex and an Eastman, And while these were nice warm and well made jackets the attention to original B-3 details were pretty far afoot. I'd certainly like an original but the biggest drawback is this is going to be a jacket I would want to have for regular use which to me does not go well with wearing something that old and often times in fragile condition. I want something as close to an original as possible...............experts what would that be? I have looked at a bunch online and watched video comparisons but thought I would ask forum members here as I know having been here in the past that some of you own reproductions as well as original jackets so.............I'm asking advice. Many Thanks!

Clothes Horse

New in Town
Your eastman would have been a good bet. Other options are Aero and Lost worlds.
Sure I have looked at those as well as "The Real McCoy's", trouble with many of those jackets is that are they are all being sold out of JAPAN and for the most part in small sizes 38,42,40.a Large or X-Tra Large is hard to find........least they have been for me.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have had several in the past Schott...............Avirex and an Eastman, And while these were nice warm and well made jackets the attention to original B-3 details were pretty far afoot.
How was the Eastman different from an original jacket? Just curious because I know that Eastman goes to great lengths to stay true to the original flight jackets as much as possible.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
The problem with B3 is you need to decide do you want authentic or do you want something that's more practical. Obviously the originals have functionality, it wouldn't make sense for military use otherwise. But it's a very specific function, i.e. operating in the cold high altitude climate in close quarters and being used almost as an over coat. It's my understanding many pilots would actually swap out their B3 for mechanics D1 because the jacket is much more comfortable and practical.

I have an Aero B3 which I'm no expert, but looks to be at least 90%+ accurate. I love that jacket, but like the pilots, it has very specific purpose for me otherwise I too would swap out for a D1 for more evergreen use. It's basically my 30 to 60 minute jacket. Taking dogs out for quick walk, sitting by the fire pit in chilly weather, throwing over my PJs in the morning when I'm half asleep so I don't have to layer head to toe and then de-layer before going back to bed. I don't think I could wear the B3 all day long, driving in a car, god forbid crammed on a subway, or doing any sort of physical exertion, etc.

I recently bought the Toys McCoy B3, but it's really a D1 with B3 pocket configuration. Now this thing is absolutely an every day jacket. I can wear for anything assuming the weather is a little on the chilly side. I'd have no problem wearing it on a subway, etc. etc.

But I like having both. The Aero B3 serves a very narrow purpose for me. The Toys B3/D1 is more of the "look" of what I want but in a more practical, multi functional purpose.

You started off by saying you want an authentic one, but you want for regular use. To me those two things won't compute unless you're going to be in a similar situation as what they were designed for i.e. mostly sitting in a very cold environment, not really moving around much. If you're just after the look, in the most authentic way possible, I highly recommend ToyMcCoys or the RMC. Or I believe you can ask Aero to use thinner sheepskin especially in the arms.

MrProper

And while these were nice warm and well made jackets the attention to original B-3 details were pretty far afoot.

That would be my question too: what details are you missing compared to an original? What is better about the original than a reproduction of Aero, Eastman, 5*, etc. (apart from the feeling of owning an original)?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Haven’t handled an Eastman but they’re highly regarded- I suggest you give John Chapman a call. By far my favorite jacket and I live in California!

CB14B913-6324-4F30-8955-A4727C7AA40A.jpeg

50353DB8-8583-477A-AA0C-AF91036409C9.jpeg

7C3650E6-213F-4EB4-AFE2-7A8A64A2FF16.jpeg

Clothes Horse

New in Town
For me this new B-3 would be an everyday jacket in the winter. I walk in the winter most every day even if it's just a short walk around and down the BIKE/Walking path by our home. I'm also fortunate to live next to park and only several blocks away an expansive nature center where there are miles of trails, I can spend hours down there all year long and I have long been retired so I have the time to do that. I love winter walks............even in blizzard type weather, I love the cold weather so a big heavy B-3 works for me just fine, it's a jacket I would grab and use more often than not in cold weather. Right now I no longer have one, I use my "Annapurna" Parka with a goose down vest as a under garment.............it works, but I want a really great B-3 back for use again So your probably wondering what did I do with those other B-3 jackets i had? I auctioned them off one by one and gave the money to a homeless shelter.

MrProper

For me this new B-3 would be an everyday jacket in the winter. I walk in the winter most every day even if it's just a short walk around and down the BIKE/Walking path by our home. I'm also fortunate to live next to park and only several blocks away an expansive nature center where there are miles of trails, I can spend hours down there all year long and I have long been retired so I have the time to do that. I love winter walks............even in blizzard type weather, I love the cold weather so a big heavy B-3 works for me just fine, it's a jacket I would grab and use more often than not in cold weather. Right now I no longer have one, I use my "Annapurna" Parka with a goose down vest as a under garment.............it works, but I want a really great B-3 back for use again So your probably wondering what did I do with those other B-3 jackets i had? I auctioned them off one by one and gave the money to a homeless shelter.

Perfect use case.
Just out of interest... what bothers you about the repros (Eastman, Aero,...) compared to the original? Because purely from the use case, any supplier would certainly fulfill the functionality.

Clothes Horse

New in Town
I guess this late in life I would really like to have an original B-3 and have it be one I could wear. But given the age of these original jackets that's seems impractical so I'm not only trying to find a "GOOD" one. I'm really trying to find an original spec ...... with correct zipper.............everything. The Eastman was a fine jacket but not an exact spec jacket............to be fair I had a very early one of the Eastman's, also a very early Avirex. They were fine jackets but different from what I really wanted but those were what was available at that time.............to me at least.

Last edited:

El Marro

I would have another look at what Eastman is offering these days. I’m not any kind of B-3 expert but from what I have read they make a very good reproduction. I do own an Eastman Roughwear B-6 and it is a wonderful jacket.

Clothes Horse

New in Town
I would have another look at what Eastman is offering these days. I’m not any kind of B-3 expert but from what I have read they make a very good reproduction. I do own an Eastman Roughwear B-6 and it is a wonderful jacket.
I will do that and see where they are at now..............people certainly do make improvements as time goes on. I actually did look at an Eastman B-3 last year from a seller on Ebay who sells many of these Eastman jackets including some rarities but what he was offering was only available in the small and medium sizes, there were no large or extra-large sizes available. So there was nothing for me to buy even if a jacket style was available as to something I would be interested in.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
The Eastman 'Perry sportswear' Mixed batch B-3 Has a Talon Bell zip on it.

I don't think you're going to find anything more legit than Eastman, unless you have a flying delorean and set the flux capacitor for 1944.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto