Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a "Bogie" hat on a budget..

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
I will no doubt be burnt in effigy for even suggesting this (then again, given heating costs, I welcome the warmth), but if you're looking for a hat that looks like a vintage Bogie for little money, go for a Golden Gate lite-felt crushable at about $40. (Pause for the villagers to get their torches and pitchforks.) It's cheap processed wool felt with a machine block and a parody of a Cavanaugh edge, but it's got the right shape -- stovepipe crown and slim brim -- and it looks pretty decent with a trenchcoat. It won't last forever -- or much longer than a couple years, probably -- but if what you're looking for is the Bogie silhouette, this is an option. If the "Masked Marvel" look is more your taste, get a Dorfman-Pacific "Zoot" for, again, about $40, which beats the Stetson Mallory all to hell (speaking of Mallory getting beat all to hell, what's that I hear outside...an angry mob of Optimo customers?). I like expensive hats as much as anyone, but I've always held the belief that $25-dollar-a-day gumshoes and post-war average joes got their clothes at the army surplus store instead of 5th Avenue men's shops.

Hey, something was thrown over the tree branch outside my window...uh oh, it's a rope...gotta go...

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
The Golden Gate Sleuth has a very low crown that I personally don't care for. At the Village Hat Shop site (VHS is a great place, by the way), the style to which I was referring is listed as Golden Gate "Chicago." Or, if you live in the L.A. area, go to World Hats on Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena, and they them there for even less.

Duce Apocalypse

New in Town
Well, if you look at my Avatar, I got my new lid, I drove to the Village Hat Shop in Long Beach, it was worth the trip, I got a nice satin lined, fur/felt "bogie" lid for $84! The hat looks great, cant really believe it was less then a C-note... I got really lucky with my measurements, as the 7 3/8 fits as good as if it were a custom.

Thanks for recommending the VHS...

Duce out...

Duce Apocalypse

New in Town
Originally posted by K.D. Lightner
Duce, that is one hot hat! And you look great in it.

I think I better go back there and look at some of their own makes.

karol

I swear man, the profile of their "Bogart" is a perfect classic fedora. the Hat is made for VHS by a company in Canada, I think its Biltmore. The lid has a satin liner, and a leather sweat band.

For less then a C note, I dont think it can be beat...

Duce out

BogieMcFly

New in Town
So, you CAN remove that feather from the Cagney and the Bogart, correct? Otherwise... eh.

(Also, as a side note - heheh... is there a way I can change my screen name, or is it too late now? Somebody can just PM me for this.)

In Christ,
Shane

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by BogartMcFly
So, you CAN remove that feather from the Cagney and the Bogart, correct? Otherwise... eh...

Yeah, I think you might have to lose the feather. But that's just me. AND EVERYONE WHO PREVIOUSLY VOTED ON ONE OF MY FEATHERS!!!
:) :) :)

Really, I think it would look better without it, but you should do what you feel comfortable with. Nice match with the shirt, btw.

David

BogieMcFly

New in Town
Originally posted by Canadave
Nice match with the shirt, btw.

David

I'm not sure I understand that part... but I do agree that to get the proper Bogart look, I'd have to take out the feather.

Also, I do see a lot of pictures of Bogart with a brown fedora (as in my avatar) - so why is it that we tend to use gray ones? Just for the black and white look?

In Christ,
Shane

Duce Apocalypse

New in Town
Originally posted by Canadave
Nice match with the shirt, btw.

David

Danke schön! :)

Actually if you want a purist "Bogie" look then yes, the feather has to go. But I also like being a little "different" plus I find that the feather matches my shirt, and I also have a red tie I can wear with a black shirt to reverse the effect.

I was looking for a "bogie" hat, but I was not actually looking to duplicate his look 100%, just the hat to a degree :) that hat comes in 3 colors I believe, gray, black and tan. So there's one to fit anyone's taste or suit I guess.

Happy hatting...

Duce out

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
nope, I isn't happy unless I have a brown to choose from, so ha! And I like the brown bogie hat look too, which is why its on my to get list. :)

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Glad to know that Duce is not removing his feather. First of all, it looks good with the red and gives a little contrast with the hat.

Also, I have a different feeling, now, about feathers ever since I researched them on the net and realize some of the significance of having feathers in hats.

It was a reward given to a great hunter, in many cultures, including European. It was given in honor to a warrior or a soldier. In the military, it was used to distinguish regiments.
It came to signify not only good hunting, but good luck or protection by the gods from evil and evil doers. And it made the wearer special.

From all of this and more, came the saying, "a feather in his cap."

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails