Looking for a hat that wears this nice

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Mike Johnson, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson New in Town

D9E01464-2975-49DF-BF49-5755B7D4EF99.jpeg Hi. My name is Mike and I’m a plumber. I love hats, especially Bowler hats but usually only wear when looking nice and not working.

I’m struggling to find a hat I can wear while working on dirty service calls. I’m always afraid to ruin a hat so I don’t do it. The other day I came across this photo and it occurred to me I just need a hat that can get dirty.

I love this hat! The size, shape and design is perfect. I’m not looking to have it distressed but rather a new hat that I can distress myself through the next decade of using only hard dirty work.

Can someone help me figure out finding a new replica of this design? I want it to be tough enough to last as least 20 years of rough wear in the field. I appreciate your input, thank you!

Mike

2. How about an Akubra Stylemaster.

3. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I agree, good hat, great price. I have one from 25 years ago. Did not wear it working but still a time tested hat. Plus if you are working in it you don't want a hat with too high a crown or too wide a brim.

Just Daniel and 1967Cougar390 like this.
  4. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

Stylemaster would fit the bill. Tilley hats also would work if you want a hat you can throw in the washer from time to time. The hat reminds me of old Akubra Squatter hat farmers would wear for 20 years. Here is a photo of Paul Hogan in “Charlie and Boots” in a similar worn out style.
    7F94174D-9693-42BB-BA5D-245D4C61A014.jpeg

5. 1967Cougar390

1967Cougar390 A-List Customer

Just Daniel and Boomerang like this.
  6. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson New in Town

I’m really glad I asked this here, thank you so much for the replies! Gonna check these out right away. Good looking hat on Paul Hogan by the way!

7. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Yes, I have the Sydney from David Morgan not the Stylemaster. That $115 is one helluva good price

8. itsallgood

itsallgood One of the Regulars

The Akubra Sydney has a lot of character.

1967Cougar390 likes this.
  9. Bird Lives

Bird Lives A-List Customer

I have a Sydney aswell...Great looking hat with alot of character. 20190119_193736.jpg

Another option, of course, is finding a good, old Borsalino...Great hats, and you can find really nice vintage Borsas at great prices.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    1967Cougar390 and johnnycanuck like this.
  10. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi
    I would suggest the Akubra. I don't own one, but they aren't that expensive, and are supposed to be tough. Don't look at this as "getting a new hat dirty" look at it as "I have a new work hat." I have several outdoor hats that I don't worry about getting dirty. In fact, I wore a brand new, one-day old slouch hat in the rain all day at Shiloh Military Park.

Go for it.

1967Cougar390 and johnnycanuck like this.