Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a hat that wears this nice

Mike Johnson

New in Town
D9E01464-2975-49DF-BF49-5755B7D4EF99.jpeg
Hi. My name is Mike and I’m a plumber. I love hats, especially Bowler hats but usually only wear when looking nice and not working.

I’m struggling to find a hat I can wear while working on dirty service calls. I’m always afraid to ruin a hat so I don’t do it. The other day I came across this photo and it occurred to me I just need a hat that can get dirty.

I love this hat! The size, shape and design is perfect. I’m not looking to have it distressed but rather a new hat that I can distress myself through the next decade of using only hard dirty work.

Can someone help me figure out finding a new replica of this design? I want it to be tough enough to last as least 20 years of rough wear in the field. I appreciate your input, thank you!

Mike

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Stylemaster would fit the bill. Tilley hats also would work if you want a hat you can throw in the washer from time to time. The hat reminds me of old Akubra Squatter hat farmers would wear for 20 years. Here is a photo of Paul Hogan in “Charlie and Boots” in a similar worn out style.
7F94174D-9693-42BB-BA5D-245D4C61A014.jpeg

1967Cougar390

Practically Family

Mike Johnson

New in Town
I’m really glad I asked this here, thank you so much for the replies! Gonna check these out right away. Good looking hat on Paul Hogan by the way!

Man....great minds think alike! As soon as I read the original post I thought about the Akubra Stylemaster. I’ll also throw in the Akubra Sydney. I love both and I feel either would be well suited for heavy work duty. David Morgan has both hats and the Sydney is on sale for $115.

https://www.davidmorgan.com/shop/product/1382/stylemaster-hat/

https://www.davidmorgan.com/shop/product/92/sydney-hat-open-crown/

Steven
Yes, I have the Sydney from David Morgan not the Stylemaster. That $115 is one helluva good price

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi
I would suggest the Akubra. I don't own one, but they aren't that expensive, and are supposed to be tough. Don't look at this as "getting a new hat dirty" look at it as "I have a new work hat." I have several outdoor hats that I don't worry about getting dirty. In fact, I wore a brand new, one-day old slouch hat in the rain all day at Shiloh Military Park.

Go for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB