Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a particular Fedora

Blackmantis

New in Town
Hi guys, first time posting here, so I hope I've got this in the right area etc.

I'm after a particular Fedora hat (actually two different kinds) which I can't seem to find here. I live in Australia and our stores generally only seem to sell the modern "Fashion trilby" with the extra small rim, etc or Akubras.

I'm after a nice quality traditional 1940s "Gangsters" Fedora, with a teardrop top, with a nice covered trim, band etc, in brown as a collection item.

Something a bit like this but in coffee brown:

E1541-2.jpg

Here's some screenshots I've taken from a game showing another variant I'd be happy with.

hat2b.png

hatlb.jpg

The other kind of Fedora (Or Trilby? I'm still a bit confused about what the difference is. I always assumed a Fedora was the typical gangster style hat with a teardop top, and trilbies were the old British style ones with the pinch and crest at the top).

I'm after would be something like what Bob Hoskins is wearing in these pictures (It's hard to find decent pictures):

eddievaliant.jpg

tweetybirdinrogerrabbit.jpg

I could get one customized from TheFedoraStore but it's about $250. I'm just curious if there is any variants available that aren't as expensive (then agian, I'm not after a $20 china made hat either).

Thanks guys.

Bill Greene

One of the Regulars
Try giving Park Melvin a shout. He can do a hat like that for less than what you quote in your initial post. He made me a coffee brown hat (no brim edge though), and I know he can do the teardrop bash to perfection. Just a thought. He's at Falcon Park Hattery. Google it.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Fed IV is nice enough hat and value but a lot straighter and taller than the above hat. Depends on desired look.

Talbot

One Too Many
Where are you located? It pays to try them on I reckon.

If in Melbourne, try City Hatters cnr Flinders & Swanston.

If not, call and ask them about someone near you.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Search on ebay for a 1940s vintage hat. Just make sure the condition is nice. You can find some very nice one's the majority of the time.
I found this one there:

DSC02797.jpg

carldelo

One Too Many
We have a hat called the Ashland by Stetson. The crown has a teardrop shape with a 2 1/4 inch brim. I think it comes close and price is decent for a fur felt hat.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

I have this hat from Bencraft in dark brown (Cordoba, I think it's called) and it's a great lid - I receive many compliments on it. FWIW, it was picked out by my wife, so has the spousal seal of approval.

thebroker

One of the Regulars
I have the Stetson Lodi in both Mink (brown) and Steel (gray). The design seems to be similar to what you are looking for. I bought them from thefedorastore.com. They are priced at $105 or so, and are a good value, in my opinion, especially for a first hat.

Chinaski

One Too Many
Blackmantis, I second (or third or fourth or whatever) keeping an eye peeled on Ebay. Here's a nice coffee brown lid made by Champ I picked up quite inexpensively. You could maybe start with an Akubra Stylemaster to have a hat now while you keep looking on Ebay.

DSC_0007.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner