Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking For Hat Suggestions for Orlando Vacation

hogateb

New in Town
Good morning everyone. Hope a great weekend was had by all.

I have a family vacation coming up to the Orlando Florida area in late June (yes, it will be hot and steamy) and I am looking for some suggestions on a good hat. Originally thinking that I would pack a couple of Panamas, but not sure that these would be so good to have riding roller coasters, water rides etc. at all of the theme parks that my kids are wanting to visit. Also taking a day out to do some deep sea fishing.

I am leaning towards a Tilley TH4, but I am thinking that the Mocha color will be a bit too dark. Does anyone have any feedback on this particular hat or others that you would recommend to help keep the sun off of my head/face and that are tough and easy to care for?

Thanks for the feedback!

DRB

One Too Many
If you decide to go with a straw hat for your vacation, I would recommend that you purchase it in Orlando. Personally, I have had a great deal of difficulty finding a hat that fits perfectly on my head as they all seem to be a bit crooked. So unless you are purchasing a hat from art, I would recommend buying a hat in a hat store.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I just got myself the "Joe Fedora", which might be perfect for you. It's that poly-whatevermajigger straw that won't be damaged by water. It also has a chin strap that can be clipped up and out of the way if you don't want to use it. Finally, it can handle light rolling, if you need to tuck the hat in a bag or the like for a short while.

http://www.noggintops.com/page.cfm?p=247

hogateb

New in Town
DRB said:
If you decide to go with a straw hat for your vacation, I would recommend that you purchase it in Orlando. Personally, I have had a great deal of difficulty finding a hat that fits perfectly on my head as they all seem to be a bit crooked. So unless you are purchasing a hat from art, I would recommend buying a hat in a hat store.

Thanks DRB. I currently have 4 Panamas, but they are not really well suited for the environment I will be in during my vacation. Which is why I am looking for other options out there. Great feedback to purchase the hat in Orlando. I actually looked there back in March and did not find what I was after. That is a completely different topic though.

I am hesitant to go with a straw hat just because I don't want to ruin a good hat when I can get one that is better suited for this type of trip.

hogateb

New in Town
Not-Bogart13 said:
I just got myself the "Joe Fedora", which might be perfect for you. It's that poly-whatevermajigger straw that won't be damaged by water. It also has a chin strap that can be clipped up and out of the way if you don't want to use it. Finally, it can handle light rolling, if you need to tuck the hat in a bag or the like for a short while.

http://www.noggintops.com/page.cfm?p=247

That is a good looking lid, with the straw look, and the price is not too bad either. A definite possibility.

Edmonds

New in Town
Vacation Hat

You might consider the "Guthrie" from Baileys. It's a treated straw that can handle the water and is pliable enough to handle the travel. It looks sharp and is not too expensive.

Feraud

Bartender
I have a family vacation coming up to the Orlando Florida area in late June (yes, it will be hot and steamy) and I am looking for some suggestions on a good hat. Originally thinking that I would pack a couple of Panamas, but not sure that these would be so good to have riding roller coasters, water rides etc. at all of the theme parks that my kids are wanting to visit. Also taking a day out to do some deep sea fishing.

I suggest a cheap light colored linen cap. Linen is lightweight which will be bearable in the hot steamy weather. I wouldn't spend good money on something which will get soaked on water rides and you may lose due to wind on roller coasters or deep sea fishing.
Heck if they're cheap enough pack two and you can spend more time focused on the family than the hat on your head!

Enjoy the trip.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Your post is still relevant, Feraud. The other guy's though seems to be posted for the sole purpose of promoting an unrelated business. No other posts to his/her name. Just saying...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum