Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for Retro Linoleum, 1930s-40s can anyone help?

retromom147

One of the Regulars
My grandpa loved Spanish Tile and installed it in every house he lived in while in CA. When we were growing up in LA it was still very popular in average homes, businesses and in Palm Springs which had a definate retro flair. It can be costly but I've seen really beautiful pieces that my family installed and we aren't the Rockafeller's. :)
Good Luck!:)

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
I thought I would resurrect this thread since I too am looking for retro flooring for our kitchen.

I now live in my grandfathers house which he built by hand a little at a time, but completing it in the late 50's. It's a Cape Cod, but there is still a lot of 50s decorative things throughout.

A couple of months ago we tore up the 35 year old 70's gold carpet in the living room to discover the original 50's linoleum was still intact and looking quite nice!! We still have the original coral boomerang formica countertop in the bathroom, complete with metal edge banding. He built dormer storage spaces upstairs and I found two boxes of the same 50's linoleum he used in the living room and upstairs!!! Unfortunately, there's not enough to do anything with, but it still sits in their original boxes from the 50's!

So, now on to the kitchen. It's still sitting in it's 70's splendor (if you like the 70's). Brownsone like sheet vinyl on the floor, dark cabinets and wanescoting, gold walls with thin brick for the backsplash areas. It;s only redeeming quality is sentimental as it's the only way I remember my grandparents kitchen (and I'm 43!).

It's been hard trying to find period flooring, so we are probably going to go with the Armstrong marble-ish linoleum, charcoal boomerang countertops with edge-banding and I scored a beautiful 1950's Magic-chef oven off Craigslist for $400.00!

If anyone does find some great leads on linoleum/flooring, make sure to post them!

drjones

A-List Customer
linoleum sources

cowboy76 said:
I was looking through my wife's old 1944 McCall's magazine a minute ago and spotted an awsome ad for "Pabco" linomeum company. I took a look on the net and can't find anything with any deco or abstract-deco-like designs on it. Anyone know if someone makes this style of linoleum anymore, or just the plain colors with some flecks these days??

I can't stand the ugly faux tile look under my feet,...never did like it ever since we moved here!!!:confused:

Have you tried looking at places where they have things from estates or demolished houses? They have a place like that here and you can even get furnishings !

DRJONES

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Flooring idea

In the past I actually bought the 1x1 squares of different color sticky tiles, cut them into geometric shapes and fastened them to the floor in my own custom pattern. I then filled the cracks in between with black caulk. The silicone kind you shoot out of a tube. While it's still wet you wipe off any excess. When dry it looks like part of the tile.

Would be easy enough to copy a deco pattern.

Was a bit of work but looked cool when I was done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo