Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking Forward to 2011? Vintage Aspirations for next year?

Foofoogal

Banned
I have been trying to completely overhaul my antiques/vintage business this year and hope to actually get it accomplished this year.
Hope to also come to terms with our whole new life in Arkansas. (10% is familiar, 90% is definitely not.)
Do wish all you FLers have a fine 2011. Lizzie, I especially hope you are able to buy your home back.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
-I am goin to make my graphic design/ illustration diploma next year. It has to be no less than great because it has to represend me and my love for drawing and will be important for my portfolio. My drawing style is inspired by early 20th century artist such as grosz and picasso so this maybe go "vintage" too.
-weight loss...not so much. muscels are heavier than fat. haha
-Personal...well I don't write it because it is too personal but I am certainly on a good way :)
-I want to own a 30s suit. Have to save some money first and then go hunting. Saving money is hard. I should stop buying small affordable pieces (like ties and non-vintage sports jackets) to get what I really want

Oh and I am goin to visit a fedora lounge fellow in finland. This will be great.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
So many things - this year has been a pig.

I'd love my husband to find a job closer to home - having him working away during the week is depressing and bad for our marriage.
I'd like a new job.
I'd like to lose 20kg, but I would settle for 10.
I want to work on my vintage hair styling - which may involve a proper hair cut.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Next year I will expand my one man ad-agency into a real one with five to six young talented creatives working together with me.
I will read even more books on The Battle of Britain and go to even more Air Shows at Duxford.
I will find the original Irvin in my size - I hope!
It will be a fantastic year - for all of us! - I know!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
For me it will be setting up a bigger vegetable garden and adding fruit trees and then learning to can. For whatever reason canning scares me :eeek:

Canning also scares me, but I want to learn this year as well. I've decided that the pressure cooker scares me, so I will only do water bath. I'm doubling the size of our garden too. We planted apple trees two years ago, I wish we had done it sooner. When we move again, fruit trees are going in the ground the first spring we are there- they are worth every penny and in a few years save so much money.

I want to sew more and work through my stash of fabric. I've collected it over the years (odds and ends, clearance, etc.), and I've come to realize that it is no good to me sitting in boxes. I'd rather make something from it, use it, and wear it out rather than letting it rot in the box. It is better that I make a quick skirt from it than save it for some pie-in-the-sky purpose that I will never get done.

I've decided that the pressure cooker scares me.

Using the pressure cooker takes time to learn how to use it and what not to do. If you don't make mistakes everything tends to be fine, be in a hurry or inattentive and that is where the problems come in to play. My mom used a pressure cooker for a long time and we did not have a lot of problems, We had the type where the weight sits on a nozzle and as the pressure increased the steam could lift the weight off and the excess pressure would bleed off. Once when my older brother was really little my mom tried to make pea soup in the pressure cooker. At some point the pressure got high blew the weight off and a stream of pea soup hit the ceiling, Luckily no one got scalded but it was an big cleanup job.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
To get back under two bills, then to have some fine suits altered to me.
To give my hats professional care they have long gone without.
To finally get the hang of the old thread-eating, needle-snapping monster and begin doing my own repairs.
To complete my master's (with the help of these guys).
To begin promoting myself once more as a vintage jazz player and singer.

martinsantos

Practically Family
Certainly 2011 will be a better year for all. 2010 was not bad, but... could be better.

About vintages, looking for an old lens by Leitz, "Summarex" 8,5cm (1943/1950), and a leitz enlarger (1930/1979). At the same time, looking if my beloved hobby can pay itself - and so the lens and enlarger.

Good 2011 for everybody!

Martin

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Unlike a lot of folks, 2010 was a good year for me - with the exception that it passed by too fast. I am expecting that 2011 will be just as good, if not better, and will slow down a bit (I'm going to try). I do have a couple "projects" that I plan to complete during 2011.

First, over the winter I'm going to build a new chicken house and, in the spring, get a new start on a flock of Rhode Island Red chicks. It's been about 10 years since I've raised chickens, and I'm looking forward to the endeavor. There's nothing like having your own fresh eggs, and having chickens around the place is a great way to help keep the grandchildren occupied this summer.

Second, I need to start working on painting outside of the old house. I painted it by my self (with a brush) in 1974, and when I finally finished swore that I'd never do anything like that again. That paint job lasted till 1998, when we had it painted. Now, it's due (probably over due) for a new paint job. Since I've retired, I should have the time. I'll probably regret doing it myself again, but once finished I'll have the satisfaction of having done something that should last me another 20 or so years.

Those are the two "major projects" that I plan on completing in 2011. I have several other things that I'd like to do,one being to take the family out in the old '48 Plymouth more. We need to get in the habit of going on more picnics this year. We need to slow down and look real good at life.

Last edited:

Mr Badger

Practically Family
This year's turned out to be hard work all round - our house's boiler (the furnace to US FLers) conking out during Christmas lunch being the most recent teeth-gnasher! Being heating-less in -9C weather is no fun...

Anyhoo, this year, I plan to:
Finally get a new band (The Roustabouts) together.
Finish painting the house (inside & out).
Visit friends in/near Berlin.
Take part in some small local classic car events with our Morris Minor.
Shave regularly.
Do the Portland to SF thang with my good lady wife.
Go to the Goodwood Revival.
And not let work get me down so much.

kyda

One of the Regulars
Like most people I could lose a bit of weight, would like to wear vintage/vintage inspired when I go out and to get back into the work force. Believe it or not but being a stay a home mum does not qualify as work experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran