Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking to buy an A-2 jacket, opinions...

nick123

I'll Lock Up
If you decide to try G&B, size down at least 1-2 sizes from your chest measurement or what you usually wear. The thing is, they're constructed in such a way that even if the jacket fits, there will be excess leather which makes the jacket look big. This hasn't ever stopped me from purchasing them because they're simply great jackets for the money. If you save up some dough, go with one of the Historical models rather than the regular Civil/Navy/Air Force A-2s and G-1s. The cuts of those are probably more refined.
I think a US Authentic would probably have a better cut, and look more sleek, but I haven't tried one of those yet.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Another possibility: I used to own a Cooper A-2 size 44 long that maybe I should have kept that was pretty much true to size. Some have handwarmers, but most are standard A-2's without handwarmers, including the one that I owned, that was a fantastic entry level A-2 in goatskin, wool knits, and a cotton/polyester (50-50) lining. Cooper went out of business a few years ago but made nice entry level jackets. You can find them on ebay. A nice one in size 38 is listed and even shows measurements done the correct way with a diagram.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beautiful-V...460?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4ed49724

I'm not telling you to move on this one, although you can measure the A-2 that you currently own and compare to possibly extrapolate what might work for you.

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
Actually I just checked the measurements, the body is too long for me. It's about the same length as my Alpha A-2.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Actually I just checked the measurements, the body is too long for me. It's about the same length as my Alpha A-2.

So you can now determine the body length that you want. I did note the 26" seemed way too long for a size 38R. Wonder if he might have measured from the top of the collar rather than the base? People are notorious for measuring incorrectly. Anyhow, you get the gist of how this process works. After all is said and done, you will have to decide, roll the dice and hope the thing fits. :D

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Sloan is a well known chap from Scotland on TFL who is, I think, perhaps roughly your size. Maybe he will see this and chime in. He owns one A-2 and is planning another. Like I am, he is also an Aero "Fan Boy" (private joke). ;)

Jwag

One of the Regulars
this is a 34. It might be okay for someone who is a 36. I have one and the length is almost perfect. Around 24 inches in the back. Still about 1 inch longer than I desire, but you can't beat the price. It's trim, but I can still layer. Just keep in mind, no refunds on his sale merchandise. You could send him an email and give your height, weight, and chest size and ask him what he thinks. Don't ask him for measurements...
http://www.lostworldsinc.com/Lost_Worlds_Sale_Items.htm

Last edited:

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
So how long should an A-2 jacket be for a proper fit? It should be only to the waist where the belt is, right?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I find switching up to a 38 is best for getting a usable size. I had a seal Aero A-2 in 36, but I just wasn't getting the wear out of it because it couldn't take anything more than a t-shirt under it, so I flipped it. My current russet A-2 is a 38 and hit the sweet spot in terms of fit (covers the buckle), though it was based on the later designs, so it's not quite as fitted as the earlier ones. Actually, I think most of the generic repros tend to take their lead from the later, looser contracts, but I generally follow Ken's advice that, to get the best look, an A-2 should be as close a fit as you can comfortably take. I currently have an Aero 1756 A-2 on order, which is one of the slimmer contracts, and I'm sizing up from a 38 to make sure it fits.
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=92
If you're looking for best value at your price point, I would have a good hunt on eBay, as there's plenty of choice online for a good used repro . I think you'd get more satisfaction with one those than with the more blousy styles that the cheaper repros tend to go for.

AdeeC

Practically Family
IMO sizing has a lot to do with the look you want. Do you want it trim fitting and tight, more regular measurement perfect or baggy and loose? If you look at old photos of A2 during the war you will see all sorts of fits. Look at this clip for the long looser baggy look. The correct look is very subjective.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSIsoj1QPAc My A2's range from size 38 to 42 and can wear all of them.

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
this is a 34. It might be okay for someone who is a 36. I have one and the length is almost perfect. Around 24 inches in the back. Still about 1 inch longer than I desire, but you can't beat the price. It's trim, but I can still layer. Just keep in mind, no refunds on his sale merchandise. You could send him an email and give your height, weight, and chest size and ask him what he thinks. Don't ask him for measurements...
http://www.lostworldsinc.com/Lost_Worlds_Sale_Items.htm
I traded this same Lost Worlds jacket to another fellow lounger who wears 36-38 and own a black Lost Worlds A-2 size 38, it was a perfect fit for him. This is clearly marked with the wrong label. It is even longer than my BK A-2 size 36 and may even be a bit wider, and 2 sizes bigger than my size 34 Aero A-2. According to the guy I sold it to Lost Worlds A-2 sizes are all over the place. He traded his size 38 russet A-2 for the Black one with another guy because even though both are marked size 38, the black one is smaller than the russet. Then he tried on mine and it was perfect so he asked if I want to sell it since it was clearly too big for me. I will see if I can find some photos.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I would suggest buying two jackets in different sizes, then keep the one that fits best. I did this with my G&B A-2, bought a 42 and a 44. Kept the 42.

Jwag

One of the Regulars
I traded this same Lost Worlds jacket to another fellow lounger who wears 36-38 and own a black Lost Worlds A-2 size 38, it was a perfect fit for him. This is clearly marked with the wrong label. It is even longer than my BK A-2 size 36 and may even be a bit wider, and 2 sizes bigger than my size 34 Aero A-2. According to the guy I sold it to Lost Worlds A-2 sizes are all over the place. He traded his size 38 russet A-2 for the Black one with another guy because even though both are marked size 38, the black one is smaller than the russet. Then he tried on mine and it was perfect so he asked if I want to sell it since it was clearly too big for me. I will see if I can find some photos.

Although stated as "all current materials/workmanship", I believe much of the LW sale items are apprentice items, and date back to the 90's. This would confirm the sizing issues and hides with different finishes than his current lineup.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
If you go with G&B, I would tend to go with a size 36 as G&B runs big. You could email or call G&B to try to determine whether you might need a short vs medium fit.

If you try to buy an Aero A-2 from Aero's sales page or ebay, the smallest to consider would be a size 38 and might even need a 40. Again, it's all about measurements, not labels. My size 44 Aero Bronco is close to a perfect snug fit but would not work at all if it were any smaller.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am just about 5ft6, have 38' chest but narrow shoulder, so kind of a round torso.
Size 34 Lost Worlds

Size 36 Bill Kelso

Also for reference- me in my size 38 short Austin Reed suit

Last edited:

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
IMO sizing has a lot to do with the look you want.
Good point, this is the look I am going for. Not too tight, but not baggy. I think the biggest thing I notice is the jacket length, the body seems too long on most of these reproductions, especially if wearing high 1940s dress pants.

WWII A-2.jpg

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
They responded with the dimensions of their size 36R jacket. It's exactly the size of my current A-2 in all dimensions except for the chest, which is 2 inches shorter than mine.

Since it is so similar I decided to clamp the back of my Alpha A-2 with clothes pin to make it the same dimension as the US Authentic, this way I could see how it would fit me. That made a big difference in my opinion, it now has the classic fit I imagine when thinking of an A-2. (less bagginess in the chest allowed the waist to sit higher without ballooning). If their A-2 fits like this I will be happy! I also like the lighter brown of the 1940s style A-2 a little more than this dark seal brown (looks black in the pic).
A-2.jpg
And alas if it doesn't fit like this there is always the option of return.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Can you clarify? You say the chest is shorter? Do you mean trimmer or narrower? What have you pinned, the length or the width?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I know how to measure a jacket - I was trying to follow your choice of words. So you're saying you pinned the jacket so that it is 3 inches less wide in the chest? The reason I ask is that I'm curious how much narrower in the chest this brand might be to other makers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS