Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds Downtown not too bad at all

STW

Familiar Face
Javelina said:
That limited edition Downtown is great looking coat. I've been lurking on this site for a while but this is my first post. I decided to get user name because I'm facing a decision.

I have a Highwayman that's too small and I'm planning to sell it. In it's place, I was thinking of getting a Cheyenne or possibly a Stockman. This Downtown design is different and unique so now it's also in the running.

Questions:
There appears to be a difference in the horsehide from Aero and Lost Worlds. The Aero HH seems more waxy and shiny, more prone to fading in places. The drape of the LW seems more natural, the Aero seems stiffer. This is all from photos as I haven't seen a LW in person. Can anyone comment on the differences between the HH from the 2 makers?

Also, this russet horse hide seems darker than Aero's brown. I prefer darker. Is this just the photos in Paris or is the LW really darker?

The construction of my Aero can't be faulted - how about Lost World's product?

There is a great convenience of having LW here in the US (and in my case, in town). It will take 3 weeks for a Downtown to arrive vs. probably 3 months for an Aero. Plus, returns at LW are more convenient. I realize people don't like the owner's political views but I'm just interested in quality jackets.

Thanks.
Like OTH, I've had both Aero and LW jackets and the quality is top in both. I can't fault LW constuction in any way. My LW is their black FQHH and is very stiff and heavy when new. It has broken in well with lots of grain and variation but without the localized wear-caused loss of color in spots that happens with Aero FQHH and contributes to their character. I really like the way Aero FQHH breaks in and wondered how LW would compare, and I've been very pleased with the LW even without the color variation. My LW is black so I wouldn't expect the same color variation you might see with brown leather. Nice to see OTH's brown LW leather and hope that he posts photos as time goes on and wear patterns show up--will be interesting to compare brown to brown in worn FQHH LW and Aero jackets.

My understanding is that both Aero and LW source chrome tanned FQHH from Horweens using the venerable tanning processes that result in the weather resistant FQHH you see from LW and Aero. It's easy to observe that there is a difference in the surface finish between Aero and LW FQHH, but apparently the underlying chrome tanning is similar.

Sounds like you have done the LW search on the FL so you have an idea of what's been written here. While there are lots of differences between Aero and LW (such as smaller vs. larger zippers), a key difference is how they handle custom work. Both companies do custom work, but custom details are pretty standard in any Aero jacket order--you tell them the details you want and give them your measurements and they make you a custom jacket. At Lost Worlds, they have off the rack jackets in the standard sizes that you can buy, or they do extensive custom work. But there is a more complicated process you go through at LW to get your custom jacket. You can read about it on their site, and I haven't ordered custom from LW. But it involves, iirc, buying and shipping yourself a standard sized jacket as proof of size, then you ship it back and ship yourself the custom jacket when it's time.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
What a beautiful coat oneterrifichog :eusa_clap

I have an Aero Cheyenne in my sights for my next purchase so it's always nice to see similar offerings.

Looks like you had a wonderful holiday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner