Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds. Has something changed?

29 toter

New in Town
I have been saving up for a Lost Worlds Pea Coat. Recently I sent them an email asking what the added cost would be for some modifications to the coat design. The email I received back stated that they would not even take my order. That it would be too costly to add a bi swing back to a pea coat and that this was the case because of the asymetric front. I just don't understand what the layer over layer front has to do with the shoulder area. I own another Lost Worlds coat that was very custom, features chosen from two different coat styles were put together to make this coat. So I am curious as to the non interest in taking on custom work of this kind now? Is the owner passing the business on to someone less interested? Does anyone know how to best contact the owner and not an underling?

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I only have one LW coat, but all of the communication I had (2 e-mails and 2 phone calls) were handled by the owner, Stuart. Not sure he has any underlings that handle comunication.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You probably dealt with Stuart (the owner).

As we recommend when dealing with 'any' company, you would be best addressing the situation directly with 'him.' He's the owner/decision maker who has the final say, so 'really' he's the chap to ask if you're after some resolution and answers :)

My Advice: Phone directly. You can't beat speaking to him 'in person.'

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Stuart has developed a reputation for being somewhat.... eccentric.... it is true, though based on my limited experience I can't fault his product.

Stuart has developed a reputation for being somewhat.... eccentric.... it is true, though based on my limited experience I can't fault his product.

Yeah, it's kinda entertaining on the one hand, kinda off-putting on the other when you're looking to spend $1k or more on a jacket...but in the end, it's his shop, his rules. Just get a jacket one size larger and you'll get the same effect :eeek:

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
I have been saving up for a Lost Worlds Pea Coat. Recently I sent them an email asking what the added cost would be for some modifications to the coat design. The email I received back stated that they would not even take my order.

NO JACKET FOR YOU - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ3AOmZ2fps&feature=related

Sorry - couldn't resist the comparison. Stuart has a reputation for being eccentric but all my discussions with him have been very pleasant and straightforward. He wasn't willing to tailor a jacket to the drop I wanted though so I ended getting a Langlitz. I bought one of his custom jackets on sale for my fiance and the product it top-notch. I ended up selling it though because she hated how stiff the horse hide is. The quality of the jacket was so good that I will eventually get a Lost Worlds if I don't get distracted by Aero's FQHH and Langlitz's goat too much. A black Highwayman is next on my list...

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
I have dealt with Lost Worlds via phone and email. I agree very straight forward. I have had several of his A-2's over the years and reget selling/trading them. They have the best HH, IMO. I wish the pattern was different, not fond of point collar tips.
JZ

Edward

Bartender
Yeah, it's kinda entertaining on the one hand, kinda off-putting on the other when you're looking to spend $1k or more on a jacket...but in the end, it's his shop, his rules. Just get a jacket one size larger and you'll get the same effect :eeek:

I have to admit I would prefer to deal with a company who are much more accommodating, like Aero, though I'm sure it is much easier for them being a bigger operation and having Amanda dedicated to dealing with customer queries, whereas Stuart is a one-man operation. I do find his rants hilarious, though - especially the bizarre fixation with being "manly", and his distaste for "jacket queens" fixated with accuracy of repros (which seems to be, in the main, the most of his target market!). lol

I have to admit I would prefer to deal with a company who are much more accommodating, like Aero, though I'm sure it is much easier for them being a bigger operation and having Amanda dedicated to dealing with customer queries, whereas Stuart is a one-man operation. I do find his rants hilarious, though - especially the bizarre fixation with being "manly", and his distaste for "jacket queens" fixated with accuracy of repros (which seems to be, in the main, the most of his target market!). lol

From a customer perspective, yes. BUT, if I were making the jackets, seeing both models in place, I understand why LW does it that way. I think one reason Mark (AERO USA) gets "short" at times is due to the "I want to make 100 changes to a particular jacket" thing, which could indeed get on one's nerves. The Scots must be a tolerant people :)

polocoat

One of the Regulars
Before I read your post, I said to myself sounds like the soup Nazi of Seinfeld fame. Coloradorider, you got it right!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic