Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds sizing - classified information?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Interesting thread, both LW and U.S. Authentic are "downstate" from me. U.S. say's I can't visit, too small a shop and somethng about "insurance". Mebbe I'll make it to LW one day and "see the elephant" so to speak.

Worf

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
I recently bought a Horsehide Peacoat from them. I gave Stuart my measurements and weight and he suggested the size of peacoat for my build. I went with what he suggested and I have to say it is the best fitting jacket I have ever purchased. I have nothing but great things to say about the quality, fitment, and Stuart's professional attitude.

I'm in the same case as nabottle. I gave my measurements, height and weight. Stuart suggested a size and it's a perfect fit.

Since the peacoat is a "lot of leather" I didn't want a coat that weight a ton (I already have that with my Aero) I ask Stuart about it and he suggested Goat without saying anything about it ill about the fact I wanted a lighter leather, he even stated that goat would be better because it was a far supple leather than horsehide.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have often wondered if "detailed measurements" really help when a simple chest measurement causes so many problems. My chest size is exactly 38 and I wear size 38 suits. I just bought and received today a size 34 LW A-2 and it fits pretty well (with just enough room as a well-fitted A-2 should be). I own a size 36 ANJ-4 by Aero and it is a bit loose. I also wear a size 36 Lewis leather Europa which is a tailored fit for me as any biker jacket should be but when I tried on a size 36 Lightning today, it was too tight. It is therefore very common for ppl to return and exchange even with custom orders and that's the way this industry operates. I guess that creates the kind of take it or leave it, or rather keep it or return it attitude.

Last edited:

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
I've purchased 5 different LW jackets over the years; Stuart was always a consummate professional on the phone and in his prompt, concise replies to my e-mails. I gave him my height and weight and afew other simple measurements and he recommended a certain sized jacket. The jacket always fit exactly as I anticipated and the quality of the leather was simply the best! Just my 2 cents based on my own personal experiences with LW.

I agree completely. I have never had an issue with Lost Worlds, Inc. Good Communication by phone and by email. Quick Service and spot on tailoring. I have bought off their "Sale Site" twice and there "Limited Site" once and I bought off the "Full Price Site" twice. Always called first to cover any questions I had ahead of time. When I had questions about fit on 2 occasions I gave a credit card number he sent down a jacket for a test with the option that if it did not I would send back and he would exchange. I took him up on it and the fit based on info I gave him was dead on!

No Problem no Weird crap just damn fine jackets. I would add that I have several Lost World jackets from the Bay as well, all of them excellent. All toll over the last 15 years I have owned 10 jackets. I currently own 4 and they are all perfect.

Wilbur

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I have often wondered if "detailed measurements" really help when a simple chest measurement causes so many problems. My chest size is exactly 38 and I wear size 38 suits. I just bought and received today a size 34 LW A-2 and it fits pretty well (with just enough room as a well-fitted A-2 should be). I own a size 36 ANJ-4 by Aero and it is a bit loose. I also wear a size 36 Lewis leather Europa which is a tailored fit for me as any biker jacket should be but when I tried on a size 36 Lightning today, it was too tight. It is therefore very common for ppl to return and exchange even with custom orders and that's the way this industry operates. I guess that creates the kind of take it or leave it, or rather keep it or return it attitude.

The issue is that measurements you mention are just chest sizes. A detailed measurement would enable you to gauge if the jacket is going to fit regardless of what size is on the jacket. I'm still new to leather jackets, but have bought dozens of sportcoats, suits, and outerwear. I find that a pit to pit of 21.5 - 22.5 is what works for me, regardless of the tagged size. There are some variances (like a plain back vs an action back), but pit to pit measurements are very handy. have an Aero LHB in size 38 and a 1930's HB in size 40 - same pit to pit on both jackets.

No issue with LW or Stuart. He was very helpful to me and I couldn't find a single stitch out of place on his jacket.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
how does he get the sleeves right w/only someones height and weight to go by?

If you look at my post you will also see I said measurements.
I gave the sleeves length I like on my coats that's all.
I also gave my chest, waist and hip measurements.

And Stuart said 40S like I said I gave the sleeves length and length of the coat I would like. And you can see in a another thread, perfect fit.

It's not the first time I order a jacket from different companies like Aero, LW, Pegasus, TNO.... I'm always a little apprehensive when ordering since I'm a petit woman and the jackets I order are mostly design for men.
But trust the company they usually know their products and are used to advice people on their size, especially companies doing business on the web

For me it never went wrong in the past.

Last edited:

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I guess you could say I've got a dog in this fight. Today was delivered a LW Goatskin Seal Brown A2 w/Rust Knits. Everything was done on the phone and via email with Stuart and I'm very satisfied. Here's two pix. That said, after reading posts in FL, I made it a point not to pull his tail.

Photoon2012-12-14at1658.jpg

new.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic looking hide, and fantastic fit. I keep seeing people wearing A-2s that look, to my eyes, like they're a size short, but you've nailed it there - sleeves and length. No arguing with the quality of LW's jackets, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Thanks. I KNOW it's the right size because Stuart sent out a 38 Russet Horsehide (pictured) and it was too small. I sent the pic to LW showing where it pinched. P.S. This "daytime" pic shows truer colors. That's the color of rust knits and LW Russet Horsehide looks like a milk chocolate Hershey Bar.

Whereitpinches.jpg

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
I don't know how Stuart does it. All I gave him was my height and weight, that was it!

A couple of weeks later I received my leather Pea Coat. It was perfect. I guess he has been doing this for so many years that his experience in his product and production process is very good.

Dave

Blackadder

Arm's length is generally proportional to height. That's like your average off-the-shelf jacket, it will fit but probably not "tailored" fit.

Last edited:

Blackadder

The issue is that measurements you mention are just chest sizes. A detailed measurement would enable you to gauge if the jacket is going to fit regardless of what size is on the jacket. I'm still new to leather jackets, but have bought dozens of sportcoats, suits, and outerwear. I find that a pit to pit of 21.5 - 22.5 is what works for me, regardless of the tagged size. There are some variances (like a plain back vs an action back), but pit to pit measurements are very handy. have an Aero LHB in size 38 and a 1930's HB in size 40 - same pit to pit on both jackets.

No issue with LW or Stuart. He was very helpful to me and I couldn't find a single stitch out of place on his jacket.
Lol, I get what you're saying but I guess I have not made myself clear in the end. I am trying to point out that if you can't trust the tag the COMPANY put on the jacket, how can you trust the "detailed measurements" e.g. pit-to-pit the same COMPANY gives you. So either you trust them enough to give you the right jacket in which case, you just give them your "detailed measurements" in stead of asking them what the measurements are on the jacket.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I don't know how Stuart does it. All I gave him was my height and weight, that was it!

A couple of weeks later I received my leather Pea Coat. It was perfect. I guess he has been doing this for so many years that his experience in his product and production process is very good.

Dave

Thanks. I KNOW it's the right size because Stuart sent out a 38 Russet Horsehide (pictured) and it was too small. I sent the pic to LW showing where it pinched. P.S. This "daytime" pic shows truer colors. That's the color of rust knits and LW Russet Horsehide looks like a milk chocolate Hershey Bar.

Whereitpinches.jpg

Arm's length is generally proportional to height. That's like your average off-the-shelf jacket, it will fit but not "tailored" fit.

I think that a major factor in Vespizzare's phenomenal fit is that he was sent a "loaner" jacket for sizing and was then able to nail down an optimal fit.

ultrark2004

Familiar Face
my lw 46s j23 4.oz hh
chest 23"
shoulder 20"
sleeve 24 1/2"
waist 20"
back 24"

lw 44r j23
chest 22"
shoulder 19"
sleeve 24 1/2"
waist 19"
back 24 "

stuart sent me a trojan to try
this is the denim trojan on his web
46r
chest 24"
shoulder 21"
waist 21"
sleeve 25 1/2
back 23"

His work is simply unbelievable
every stitch, the pockets etc. the horsehide even though heavy breaks in fast & is incredibly soft.
ive got 1 aero fqhh. they are apples & oranges
but at $1200 for a lw vs 640 pounds which is $1035 plus shipping
his prices for the long or shorts are 15 to 20% over the posted price
my experience in dealing with him was just like yours

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR