Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loungers' Pets

griffer

Practically Family
KittyT said:
...As for hairless cats, that myth has been dispelled. Cats also shed dry skin, just as humans do, and they do leave that all over the house....

I can only speak experientially, from a very small sample- my wife, but as I said they definitely are NOT hypo-allergenic.

KittyT said:
...Also, hairless cats tends to be oilier and they have no fur to guard against that. I have heard of hairless cats leaving oil stains on clothing items. They tend to actually have to be bathed.

As for the OILY thing, let me clarify this myth as an actual owner of two of these guys and a as a clothes horse. It's not NEARLY as big a deal as what is made to sound like. The whole 'oily' thing makes it sound like these are greasy, dirty animals, they aren't. They are cats, they still self bathe.

Yes, they can get oily, but it is only the same natural oil any cat produces, just without the hair to distribute it. Think about how your face gets if you have to skip a day of bathing. :eek:

That said, ours are bathed weekly and wiped down mid-week with little wipey thingies. They have never ruined clothes, but they have made some marks on favorite 'spots' on our bed. They wash right out. Not unlike my wife's hair color, or my drool spots. Glass houses and all that...:eek:

I will take all this 'bother' over having cat hairs on ALL my clothes, force my wife's OCD into overdrive and make her sneeze.

(What is never mentioned, though, is that our little boy Harold has no modesty without a fur coat; his little bits are just right out there for everyone to see. And he will happily sit and rest them right on any part of you. He's fixed, so it's less disturbing than the breeding studs I have seen. Really messes with my wife's Catholic sensibilities when I remark or joke about it, though. Let's just say 'tea-bag' has a special meaning inour house.)

KittyT said:
...For people with allergies, regular grooming/bathing can go a long way to alleviate the problem, having a female cat can help, and so can an air purifier and vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter.

Come to think of it, the bathing probably has more to do with my wife's reduced allergies than anything else.

Bottom line, they are high maintenance animals. But they are the most unique pets we have ever had with the greatest personalities- better than dogs, hairy cats, parakeets, wooly mammoths, lizards, or penguins.

I swear and I am totally not biased by my gushing love for our little 'land-bats'.

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
Glade Plugins...

This might be old news to some of you but it wasn't for me so I would really like to share. At a recent visit to my vet she warned me that glade plugins are like poison to animals, I have only refilled mine once but I took them out as soon as I got home. I've heard swiffers were bad for animals, does anyone know of any other home products I shouldn't be using?

ValerieAmelia said:
This might be old news to some of you but it wasn't for me so I would really like to share. At a recent visit to my vet she warned me that glade plugins are like poison to animals, I have only refilled mine once but I took them out as soon as I got home. I've heard swiffers were bad for animals, does anyone know of any other home products I shouldn't be using?

I've also heard of the Plug in things catching fire in some instances.
As a bird breeder, those things are a no-no from the start. Birds are particularly suseptible to those things gassing off.
Never heard of the swiffer problems but Keeping them away from your pets is likely a good idea as they should not be ingested.

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
My mom had 3 cats and our dog die last year...3 of them had cancer, one was unexplained. They were all really sudden and two of the animals were not even that old, I thought maybe it was the swiffer or something else in the house she started using. It was really hard on us and I've been soo cautious of what I've been using to clean.

Eliza

One of the Regulars
My cat Opie :)

1000283avatarpl7eb2.jpg

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
MrNewportCustom said:
Here I am, sitting at the computer enjoying the Fedora Lounge, when Little Miss Noname - whom we've finally named Peanut - starts romping around on the desk: working the mouse inder my hand, typing, etc. Until about fifteen minutes ago when, while I'm reclining in my chair, she walks up my right arm, across my chest to my left shoulder, sits down and falls asleep. :D

Lee

May I also add that when I read this, I got an image in my mind's eye of Peanut walking across you like Pussyfoot walking across Marc Anthony.

marc_anthony.jpg

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
My cat Babbs died last night

1965361251_2722e4f5a2.jpg

I found her having a seizure on the bedroom floor. I had to watch her suffer. It's hard to watch something you love so much suffer before it dies. By the time I got her into the vets, she was in a coma. So I let her go.

Pets are Family

When you have a pet that is an essential part of your life they become family or as the line says your "fur children." The loss of someone or some pet that is so close is keenly felt. We can all sympathize, I am sure.

Woland

One of the Regulars
Actually; its a she.

A proper vintage dog, which has a defined & refined sense of actual and emotional value.
She will leave all shoes alone, except for items of dubious (plastic) produce.
These she will destroy at sight!

She is also quite fond of champagne-corks!
A dog with taste, no less...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic