Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lucy and Desi's Mid Century mansion in Palm Springs

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Those pics were taken before they even moved in. There was no driveway, yard really to speak of and no lived in look. I also liked the bedroom of twin beds (no man and woman slept in the same bed in the 50's) and an ashtray.

Mike

panamag8or

Practically Family
Welp, gotta go change my shirt... this one's got drool all over it.
Wish there were more kitchen pics, with those awesome Youngstown cabinets.

frussell

One Too Many
Great stuff. I looked in the gallery, and found the El Mirador Hotel, where my grandfather was the public relations guy for years, and which later turned into Desert Hospital, where I was born, and my son was born 18 months ago. I remember seeing lots of party photos from the Ball/Arnaz residence, they were family friends back in the day. Seems like Huell Howser did at least one segment on this house, with a lot of detailed explanations. Thanks for posting this. Frank

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
Great photos. You notice the TV isn't the focus of the room?

In that last photo, is she checking him for lice?

I just stumbled across this really neat set of pictures of Lucy and Desi's 4,500 sq ft home in Palm Springs, from around 1954. Ultra ultra retro. Wish they were in color.

http://www.paulrwilliamsproject.org/gallery/1950s-houses/
Julius Shulman photos. “Visual Acoustics,” the documentary film about him, is worth your while.

Shulman died in 2009, at age 98. His work is a chronicle of the growth of Southern California and modernist architecture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ