Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Luftwaffe" jacket from Pegasus...anyone owned or seen in person?

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
http://www.pegasusjackets.com/luftwaffe-jacket-description.php

I'm thinking about getting something to use as a cold weather jacket, that's slightly roomier than a standard cafe racer, so I can layer up under it during the winter. I'm looking at this one, or an Aero Highwayman. I emailed the maker of the Pegasus above and he said this is a slim cut jacket, but from the pics it looks like I could layer under it. Nifty looking jacket. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Can't comment on that jacket specifically, but if the maker indicates it's not intended for layering I would be disinclined to try sizing up in order to layer for fear ofcit just looking too big. I do own a Highwayman and can recommend that as one which accomodates layering.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Can't comment on that jacket specifically, but if the maker indicates it's not intended for layering I would be disinclined to try sizing up in order to layer for fear ofcit just looking too big. I do own a Highwayman and can recommend that as one which accomodates layering.

I layer either a Filson 24 oz. Mackinaw wool vest or a Filson moleskin vest under my Highwayman. Based on my experience, Edward is correct in saying that the Highwayman accommodates layering.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I came across this company recently, they make several versions of the Lufftwaffe jacket. Has anyone any experience with "Noble House" flight jackets of Germany?.

http://www.noble-house.eu/catalog/index.php/cPath/21

It seems they make both steer and Horse.

There is a quick video embedded in the website, in German, but a sales pitch is universal.

Last edited:

Wconly

Familiar Face
I came across this company recently, they make several versions of the Lufftwaffe jacket. Has anyone any experience with "Noble House" flight jackets of Germany?.

There is a quick video embedded in the website, in German, but a sales pitch is universal.

Funny this has come up...just this past week, I discovered this one too and find it to be most interesting -- love the styling of this jacket. Would like to know more about it! Anyone? W>

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab

The first jacket on that page is pretty much a clone of Eastmans Luftwaffe jacket, and I think they only say they 'Base' their design on a german jacket. I do like the boots though.

Metatron

One Too Many
I think the pegasus Luftwaffe jacket is the most inspired of repros as far as the design is concerned:
The zipped sleeves, cuff tabs and pocket tabs are modelled after the officially issued kanaljacke, the rest is inspired by the privately purchased jackets.
I like the fact that it thought went into designing something new inspired by the originals, as opposed to just making a generic replica.

I had some back and forth with Pegusus about their Luftwaffe a month ago...I was looking into some modifications. The owner was very quick to return my emails and extremely helpful. I think their jackets are original and very cool! There is a post about their cafe racer in vintage black.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?65756-Pegasus-Durable-Clothing-Horsehide-Cafe-Racer-Review

...Looks great! Haven't seen one in person though...

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I had some back and forth with Pegusus about their Luftwaffe a month ago...I was looking into some modifications. The owner was very quick to return my emails and extremely helpful. I think their jackets are original and very cool! There is a post about their cafe racer in vintage black.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...-Durable-Clothing-Horsehide-Cafe-Racer-Review

...Looks great! Haven't seen one in person though...

Was there a particular reason that you didn't go ahead? I like the look of the so called Luftwaffe one. But it is twice the price of the Noble House version. It does look like a proper jacket though, and I get the impression the NH ones are a bit rough and ready compared to a top maker. Which this looks like. NH are a lot cheaper of course.

I notice that they big up their hides, and say that unlike other makers they don't use very thick hides which they say are more properly used for shoes! They say their FQHH is 3 oz and 1.2 mm thick for wearability. I'm not sure if FQHH should be that thin in 3oz? Aero's is thicker than that. Anyone else have an opinion on this, or any knowledge of Pegasus?

I just saw the glowing jacket review linked to above, and it does make me think I might give them a go.

Last edited:

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
There is a lengthy thread regarding the perceived thickness and weight of various manufacturers horsehide a few pages back... I recall cloudylemonade (aero) stated their horse was 3oz and their steer was 4oz.. Anyone else want to chime in (again)

I wanted some mods...which unfortunately turned the jacket into a custom order and put the price equal to a Goodwear. In the end, since I'm in the US- I decided to go with Mr. Chapman....I do think the Pegasus is a fantastic looking jacket though.

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
Looks like a very nice jacket, have been watching it for awhile...no direct personal experience with this one?

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
These are lined in either cotton velveteen or herringbone wool. Which is better? Not sure how velveteen holds up over time. Which is slicker/less grippy?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

The pocket tabs bugs me. Seems like they'd just get in the way. If you ask, they will use a generic label.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner