Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire and Moleskin Trousers

Whislerm

New in Town
Hello everyone.

I've been ordering a number of vintage style pants from Luxire which have been simply amazing. I can't recommend them enough, high waist, wide legs, drop loops, two inch cuffs, whatever you want, they're great.

Anyways, since Fall/Winter is coming I've been thinking about trying some Moleskin like these http://custom.luxire.com/collections/pants-sorted-by-price/products/dugdale-brown-moleskin

Now I'm not a cotton/khaki kind of trouser guy at all, just wool for me, maybe linen in the summer. So my question for anyone is how does Moleskin wear throughout the day? These say 20oz weight, which is quite hefty, do they wrinkle just like other cottons or maybe more like wool, keeping a nice crease etc?

I've never owned Moleskin trousers so any input on how they wear would be great.

Thanks so much,
Michael

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I wear moleskin trousers throughout the winter and find they are the perfect winter trouser. They don't hold a crease well and do wrinkle, but that is part of their charm. Moleskin is a hard wearing, outdoor fabric. So it isn't ideal for formal wear but looks great in the right environment. Absolutely perfect for an autumn/winter jacket and trousers combination. For me, it's the perfect fabric to mix with a tweed jacket.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Heavyweight moleskin wrinkles in a very specific way, very much like heavy corduroy only the wrinkles tend to show more. Like TT said they're great for tweed jackets, also for knitwear ranging from rollnecks to cardigans.
Both moleskin and corduroy in heavy weights rank among the most hard wearing fabrics.
It's been my experience that heavy moleskin trousers hold their crease even less than corduroy. Think of it as the tailored alternative to denim. I'll take a 1940s style pleated trouser in those fabrics over denim any day.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Moleskin has always been a popular trouser fabric here for farmers and rustic country folk. I'm not a huge fan as moleskin pants look worn and shabby very quickly and unlike corduroy, they don't generally look better after a wash. But as someone who hates the look of khakis, moleskin is certainly a step up. Overall I'd rather wear moleskin fabric as a jacket than as a pair of pants

Pinesiw

A-List Customer
Im thinking about getting a pair of moleskin trousers, but im wondering how would moleskin compare to corduroy in warmth?
Also is moleskin better protection against wind?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I can't comment on corduroy since I never wear it, but I find moleskin very good in the winter. I've worn moleskin trousers on a cold winter's evening in Canada and found them nice and warm. I've not worn them in really strong wind but they've stood up to anything I've faced.

Personally, for protection against wind and cold, I favour a heavy Bedford Cord - but it's not easy to find trousers in a good weight of woolen (rather than cotton) Bedford Cord.

Pinesiw

A-List Customer
Thanks gents, I think I will go with moleskin, whats a good recommendation for old lookin bedford cord trousers two types?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112