Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire trousers

Metatron

One Too Many
Begs the question but for 150$ can you not get trousers tailored in the UK, keeping your local economy going, keeping old dieing trades alive, and also working face-to-face with your tailor avoids these frustrations.
A valid point. Having followed threads here on the Fedora Lounge closely for a couple of years now, it seems many members have found a reliable and cost effective solution in Luxire. So I followed suit.
But it would be good to find a more local maker, UK or European in general even if it does cost a bit more.
Two Types, didn't you have good results with a local trouser maker?
While online tailors like Luxire have these competitive prices, once I factor in postage for the pair to be copied, the hassle when something goes wrong and now potentially the price to send them back to be fixed...

i think 'unwearable' is a bit harsh. i've seen quite a few wide leg vintage trousers caving in down the back thigh like that. put a belt on and pull them up a bit and it can disappear. or stand slighty differently and they might hang straighter.
Yes indeed, this wasn't Luxire's fault, the copy inherited this sagging from the original pair:

Obviously less noticeable in black, which is why I never paid attention to it. And as you say, they do straighten out when I change my posture. I will consider getting it fixed, but I will have to pay for the alterations as it is not Luxire's error.
Might just keep it as part of the 'charm' of an off the rack vintage pair of trousers.

I wouldn't dare order a jacket or trousers from them though. Too much investment to shrug off when/if some horrible mistake happens. And some of their jackets just look downright peculiar, though my eye isn't trained well enough to know why.
Well actually this light grey flannel is only $99 which is the same as many of their shirt fabrics...
And to avoid horrible mistakes they have the copying service. But... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mactire

New in Town
A valid point. Having followed threads here on the Fedora Lounge closely for a couple of years now, it seems many members have found a reliable and cost effective solution in Luxire. So I followed suit.
But it would be good to find a more local maker, UK or European in general even if it does cost a bit more.
Two Types, didn't you have good results with a local trouser maker?
While online tailors like Luxire have these competitive prices, once I factor in postage for the pair to be copied, the hassle when something goes wrong and now potentially the price to send them back to be fixed...

Where are you based in the UK? You'd be surprised at how reasonable bespoke trousers can be. They're obviously still expensive but not at an enormous level of magnitude, lets say 2 or 2.5 times the price of decent ready-to-wear assuming a base of £60. I get trousers made where I am in Ireland for about E120 ex-cloth. If you get trouser lengths from a cloth jobber on the bay or locally if you're anywhere near Bradford/Leeds/London/Huddersfield/Manchester, it can be quite competitive.

The trouble is like romance, a tailor can really break your heart, so you need patience and the fortitude to get over a bad result (it happens). This by no means to knock Luxire they're consistent, and good made-to-measure is far, far better than poor bespoke if you don't have the time or patience for it. Send me a PM if you want links to jobbers anyway or if you've any questions. I've tried a couple of English shirtmakers too.

Rian Ó Ruairc

New in Town
Mactire, where in Ireland are you, and which tailor are you using? I'm in Galway, and I'm looking for a tailor who can make a nice pair of vintage trousers at a fair price.

Metatron

One Too Many
Gentlemen,
Here is my belated update on my Luxire trousers.
I sent them back to get the pleats fixed, and I have to admit that at this point the expense has approached that of UK based trouser makers Spencers Trousers recommended by Two Types.
The brace buttons that were removed for the operation were not reattached to the waistband, but were left in one of the trouser pockets. Not particularly impressed by that either.
Unfortunately, there is also this rather unsightly bunching of excess of fabric between the inner pleat and the fly.

Anyway, I didn't fancy sending them back to India for a second time, so I took them to my alterations guy and he said that nothing can be done about it 'because it has pleats.'
Thoughts?

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Sorry to read this, Meta.

Quite a serious difference between the pleats relative to the fly! Did you ask for some price off?

Your alterations guy tries to avoid the work involved with altering it.
Of course it could be modified - but it would involve reconstructing part of the waist and front.
In the end it might be too pricey for you anyway.

If you don't want to send them to Luxire another time:
Try to move the waistband extension and fly buttons to your right side to lessen the difference.

This of course will make the waist tighter, but maybe there is enough in the rear seam to let out.

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I am sorry for you, Metatron. I would be really bummed if I were to pay 300 quid for one of their better fabrics and this was the result. Any RTW trousers would have a better pattern, I daresay. Unless you have an item in the correct size that can be copied as it is I wouldn't bother with them anymore.

Metatron

One Too Many
Thanks for the replies chaps.
Fastuni, I hadn't realised it was a complex alteration, so sending them back again might be the most cost effective option after all...

Rudie, it's not quite as bad as that, as I started with the $99 flannel.
Btw I did send a pair to be copied originally!
I agree with you in principle, to not bother anymore.... But I feel I have to at least get a serviceable pair of trousers out of this, or I will just have this £100 pile of flannel lying in my closet!

For the next time I think I'll go with Spencers Trousers UK, Vecona or Jukejive from Germany

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
They had a pair to copy the pattern from? Oh my ... I wonder what profession their pattern maker has?

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
They must have seen that error before it was done and had to decide to finish it and hope you wouldn't notice. I would think that they should remake em' if needed.

Metatron

One Too Many
I want to come clean about my Luxire order.

The only mistake on their part was reversing the direction of the pleats in reproducing the trousers I sent them.
The rest was simply a combination of their copying a pair of trousers with a full seat, and their being too tight in the waist for me.
At the time I was still in denial thinking I was a 34, when I was closer to a 36.
The light grey shade of the repro visually exasperated all this, compared with the original trousers which were black and hid their flaws.
They kindly made adjustments to the trousers for free, even though it was my fault.
The corrected flannels have served me well.

I now know a little bit more about how trouser measurements relate to fit, and having made some adjustments to the original pattern, I have since received a second pair of trousers from Luxire which are spot on.
I can thus easily recommend them for reproductions of vintage trousers.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff