Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LVC Menlo Cossack washed goatskin (XL, 2008)

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
The distressing of the 80s was, as you say, distressing. I remember there was a guy at school who came in one day wearing a shapeless leather jacket that even a bunch of teenagers found ridiculous. Whoever'd made it had decided that 'aged' meant 'dye pinky beige and then marble with grey and brown'. It was immediately dubbed 'the pig skin' by the guy's mates - aren't teenagers lovely? - and he suffered four months of ribbing about it and then stopped wearing it for good...

Yes, Sloan, it does sound rather heartfelt.

SJ

Sir Jacket

Practically Family

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Doc. Based on this thread, I Purchased a nwt Levi's Menlo in size XL. The label says its "Bovine leather" ?? I've heard of cowhide, and steerhide but that's a new one for me. Anyone know what the difference is? Anyway as you know the jacket fits very slim, and is tight around the upper arms on me. I hope with some wear it will stretch some. I will try to post of few wear pictures, but I bought it on the sneak, so I can't ask my wife to take them... Actually I hope she doesn't notice it in the closet till the fall and by then ill say I've had this thing for ages, I really like the look of this jacket, and if I can get the sleeves stretched out a bit ill have my leather jacket wardrobe finalized with one jacket each in black, brown and cordovan

Edward

Bartender
Was this from the run of Levis Aero made, or do they not do those any longer? how do you find the lack of a lining - is that a bonus in the Summer, or is it odd to wear? I really like the look.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Doc. Based on this thread, I Purchased a nwt Levi's Menlo in size XL. The label says its "Bovine leather" ?? I've heard of cowhide, and steerhide but that's a new one for me. Anyone know what the difference is? Anyway as you know the jacket fits very slim, and is tight around the upper arms on me. I hope with some wear it will stretch some. I will try to post of few wear pictures, but I bought it on the sneak, so I can't ask my wife to take them... Actually I hope she doesn't notice it in the closet till the fall and by then ill say I've had this thing for ages, I really like the look of this jacket, and if I can get the sleeves stretched out a bit ill have my leather jacket wardrobe finalized with one jacket each in black, brown and cordovan

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the jacket Boyo.
Bovine is an unusual way of describing it (it was tailored in Italy), and strictly a cow is a female 'bovine', whilst a steer is a neutered male. As mine was missing any obvious...er...clues then I couldn't tell without conducting a DNA analysis.
LVC sizing varies a lot - my L was effectively a 44 and did not have slender upper arms; on the other hand my 2008 version in goatskin is an XL and slender.
The steer (let's call it that!) is pretty flexible and I think that it'll tend to loosen up with wear, more so than the goat I guess.
Enjoy!

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Was this from the run of Levis Aero made, or do they not do those any longer? how do you find the lack of a lining - is that a bonus in the Summer, or is it odd to wear? I really like the look.

This one is still available Edward, but is lined (the raw interior is no longer made).
Personally, having owned/worn both I prefer the unlined jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy