Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lysol ... where?!

Rosie

One Too Many
Paisley said:
I've heard of women who thought they couldn't get pregnant while nursing.:eusa_doh:

Thinking of crazy things people think, (hope this doesn't offend anyone), I have a friend who thought women urinated from their clitoris. :eek: She is over 30 years old. :eek:

Anyway, I'm home today and asked my mom about this Lysol thing and she anwers "Oh yeah! Women did that and all kinds of stuff" She said her mom taught her to "clean herself" with baking soda and vinegar. She says she never did it because it looked weird and would always flush her solution down the drain or down the toilet.

Annalai

New in Town
About breastfeeding this is actually true to some degree.

Breastfeeding provides reliable protection against pregnancy during the first six months when there is no menstrual bleeding, even among women who give occasional supplements. However, when a baby is breastfed without supplements or solids and the mother has no menstrual bleeding, breastfeeding offers 98% protection against pregnancy during the first six months.

At six months, the family of the exclusively breastfed baby will save formula costs of between $450 and $1080.

http://www.pregnancy.org/article.php?sid=407

Annalai

doghouse

One of the Regulars
Annalai said:
About breastfeeding this is actually true to some degree.

Breastfeeding provides reliable protection against pregnancy during the first six months when there is no menstrual bleeding, even among women who give occasional supplements. However, when a baby is breastfed without supplements or solids and the mother has no menstrual bleeding, breastfeeding offers 98% protection against pregnancy during the first six months.

At six months, the family of the exclusively breastfed baby will save formula costs of between $450 and $1080.

http://www.pregnancy.org/article.php?sid=407

Annalai

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Very true, I am currently breastfeeding my fourth, and so far so good :)

Tourbillion

Practically Family
For those who feel they must try Lysol, I understand a 2% solution was used. Although my great-grandmother supposedly used a sea sponge for contraception.

I for one would love to see that little booklet that they sent out, especially since ignorance about basic human anatomy was totally rampant, even in the golden era.

My Dad was ignorant of female anatomy until my Mom set him straight, even though he already had 4 children by his first wife (3 of them girls). And he was college educated with a masters in science! Well at least his degree wasn't anatomy or medicine or I'd really be scared.

BTW, modern contraceptive gels and foams aren't that much better than Lysol.

Elaina

One Too Many
My mother is a RN specialized in oncology, now retired. To that extent, when my anti-sex, anti-feminine hygiene, anti-birth control health teacher hit those subjects, I taught them.

I probably know way too much about my health to be comfortable, and I'm the stupid one that goes to the doc and says "Hey how come?" "What are you doing?"

My gyno and I had a rather uncomfortable discussion about this topic recently (for him, ha). Although he did NOT suggest Lysol. My grandmother tried the Coke route too, think she gave up on it after 5 kids...and if I REALLY need birth control, I use my good old stand by Aspirin.:p

Elaina

doghouse

One of the Regulars
I'm somewhat the same way, especially when it comes to pregnancy and childbirth. I've had to change OB's every pregnancy because I'll argue over whether somethings necessary and just generally give them attitude.

On the topic of feminine cleansing, I asked my grandmother what she used and she said vinegar. :eek:

Elaina

One Too Many
LOL, I'm really glad I'm argumentative (and I had a good OBGYN). Had I of not asked all kinds of questions, my son would have been far worse off then he was. He was a preemie, and if drugs would have been introduced...what a mess THAT could have been.

I asked my little old lady friend about this topic and got smacked with her cane. I pointed to these articles and said "Wow your husband must have been really upset at you." and ran.

Elaina

doghouse

One of the Regulars
Elaina said:
LOL, I'm really glad I'm argumentative (and I had a good OBGYN). Had I of not asked all kinds of questions, my son would have been far worse off then he was. He was a preemie, and if drugs would have been introduced...what a mess THAT could have been.

I asked my little old lady friend about this topic and got smacked with her cane. I pointed to these articles and said "Wow your husband must have been really upset at you." and ran.

Elaina

Hahaha!!

My water broke with my youngest son and there's no telling what would have happened if I hadn't argued with them about it. They didn't believe me and tried to send me home! I knew there was meconium in it and insisted.

He also ended up being 9 pounds, four ounces.. TMI but my husband had to hold things open so he wouldn't get stuck..the nurses were total idiots and before I crowned insisted he was going to be too small. HAHAHA!

One thing I do like about modern times.. I like the fact that I can talk about any femine issue with my husband without making him uncomfortable..I don't really have many female friends so it's nice to have him for that :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
Another contraceptive product my grandmother supposedly swore by was Coca-Cola -- although presumably without ice.

Yeah I had heard of that one. I bet it was the carbonation. I hope it wasnt the sugar :p

LD

wibblebird

New in Town
Elaina said:
LOL! I can't. I mention period (in a grammatical conext) and he leaves.

Elaina

Ha! My husband just sort of freezes like a deer caught in headlights and prays that I'll change the subject. He was horrified at the thought that 50-60 years ago I would have given my nethers a rinse with Lysol.

I just love the knuckle-biting horror on the woman's face in the first ad.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
wibblebird said:
Ha! My husband just sort of freezes like a deer caught in headlights and prays that I'll change the subject. He was horrified at the thought that 50-60 years ago I would have given my nethers a rinse with Lysol.

I just love the knuckle-biting horror on the woman's face in the first ad.

That could also be an after photo, I would attribute that to her already having used the lysol on the nethers, and being in pain...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran