Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M-65 Jacket Dating

SpiceLMF

New in Town
Hey All,

Long time lurker, first time posting. I was hoping to get some insight on the dating/source of the M-65 jacket. I bought it from a thrift store in Brooklyn for not much. This was when I hadn't done much research into the real/the repro etc - I saw the font in the tag and figured it was of some vintage.

I've searched all over the internet to date this jacket but am coming up empty handed. I believe this one is not military issue - no standard serial number and it lists "dry clean only" I've looked up M. Rubin & Sons with not much luck.

1YOw1qY.jpg

Inside Jacket Label
ocJQB99.jpg

Front Zip
8SGFURn.jpg

Zip Pull Tab
XlIy0OW.jpg

Hood Compartment Zip
FGkG4Vj.jpg

Lining Label
oofiwph.jpg

Only piece that I was able to find definitive information on was the hood! it's a M-1943 women's hood which I'm pretty confident doesn't belong to the jacket. It's also attached pretty janky with a ribbed jersey panel. I have a feeling the original was lost and replaced with this.
rHVh4Xs.jpg

D1CQgPe.jpg

TWYieLw.jpg

Any idea how to date this or where it's from? ?

danogun

New in Town
First time I have posted, love this site! This jacket is not a true M-65 because the M-65 had a built-in hood with a zipper closure. The hood is from an M-43 jacket that was issued during the Korean war and early Vietnam war. This jacket looks like a repro to me. I’m sure someone else on this sight has better knowledge of this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Looks like typical commercial M65.
And as far as I know in early Vietnam war there were no longer M43, but used M51 (it's a slightly different jacket with diferent hood)))

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I agree, it’s an older civilian model M-65 as is the liner. I also agree that the hood is a 1940s M-1943 field jacket model...it’s not a hood from a woman’s military jacket.

Civilian M-65’s have been in the market for decades. Saying that, it looks like a good pickup. I’m sure it will do the trick.

- Ian

SpiceLMF

New in Town
Thanks for all the help everyone. I was pretty positive it wasn't military - if anyone knows rough years I'm super interested to know. I didn't realize civilian version were being made for so long! Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot