Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M422a restoration

handworn

New in Town
Just picked up an M422a in need of help. Champagne tastes, beer pocketbook. The mouton is stable, soft and decent looking except for the usual bald spot or two at the usual locations. The wine-colored lining is torn a good bit, but seems generally strong (i.e. not rotten or fragile) otherwise.

I know I can get these things replaced, but they're original to the jacket...they went through the war, and something in my soul resists replacing them unless I have to. (And I've seen much worse jackets on which I acknowledge they would have to be, like the cuffs on this piece.) I'd rather have a visibly repaired jacket that's more original than a perfect-looking jacket that's half modern components.

So...any ideas? Anyone know of people who'll try glueing correct mouton wool to the bald spots, or historically-minded tailors who would treat the piece with proper respect?

Since I'm going on and on about this, I may as well also ask-- recommendations for cuff reproductions? And does anyone sell repro labels?

Thanks a million!

Edward

Bartender
Both Aero in Scotland and Eastman in England do repairs, might be worth having a chat with either / both of them? In terms of repalcement cuffs, I know both companies will do that. Depending on how exacting you want to be, there is a very slight difference in the way Aero weave their cuffs as compared to the originals, intended to stop them stretching so easily. I don't think it's sufficiently different to be noticeable, but if you're really keen to keep to as original spec as possible, that might be an issue for you.

handworn

New in Town
Thanks. I've considered them, and I know they have repro labels, though it occurs to me that they might only do replacements of these things, not repairs. I'll ask. I am, as I say, hoping to keep the lining. But in case finances prevent my sending it to the U.K. for treatment, does anyone know a professional American tailor with flight jacket experience? Thanks again.

Edward said:
Both Aero in Scotland and Eastman in England do repairs, might be worth having a chat with either / both of them? In terms of repalcement cuffs, I know both companies will do that. Depending on how exacting you want to be, there is a very slight difference in the way Aero weave their cuffs as compared to the originals, intended to stop them stretching so easily. I don't think it's sufficiently different to be noticeable, but if you're really keen to keep to as original spec as possible, that might be an issue for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy