Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M65 Jacket

karhu21

One of the Regulars
Decided to get an M65 Jacket with a lining. Any opinions on who makes the best version eg. Schott, Alpha?

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Hello,
I have a Alpha Industries in Tan (made in USA), a very strong and practical jacket, the sizing is generous. With the liner it's warm for cold weather (minus 5° Celcius with a sweater). Those from Vietnam War era are fine (in OD). I don't know SCHOTT but PROPPER made some very good M65. The best way is to check the Bay...
Cheers,
F68

wdw

One Too Many
I had an Alpha, which I liked and wore a lot because of it's toughness and all the pockets. The downside was it soaked up rain like a sponge and the pocket lining wore through because of coins. They're probably all like that though.

I also had a Ralph Lauren clone which was as delicate as a flower, but did look nice, although definitely not worth the money.

andyfalzon

Vendor
You can get a NOS Alpha (Made in USA) on ebay for a fair price.
If you want the good stuff the label should have one line across, (that's the issued version) not three lines (that is the civilian version that is not mil-spec).
The shell of M-65 is specially treated so it is water repellent.

My current M65 was made by Propper in accordance with the Mil-Spec. Durable, very water resistant, generous sizing (though, admittedly, I have to go up a size or the sleeves are too short), warm enough (for me, anyway) in 50°F weather without the liner. I'd recommend sticking with a Mil-Spec version even if you have to pay a little more, as the non-Mil-Spec versions are lesser quality.

Last edited:

MillersCrossing

Familiar Face
I have an Alpha M65 in the sage green. It is very well made and was very reasonably priced (around $100 if I remember correctly). I should perhaps have bought a size smaller as the sizing is generous but the plus side is I can wear a thick jumper underneath if I have to. But the weather around here doesn't often permit that, so its a bit looser than I like a jacket to be with just a t-shirt underneath.

Mine is a Large Regular and it has three lines on the label. I bought it from an online military surplus store.

dilbert123

New in Town
From what I understand the earliest versions of the M65 were all cotton and, while comfortable, will soak with water in the rain. The later jackets (no date on this) are a polyester blend that will shed water and can be used as a rain garment. I have a late Alpha, the sizes tend to be okay but the arms are long. My arms are a bit short and I prefer to buy dress shirts as I can get the specific length and the M65's sleeves are very long on me. It is very comfortable and you can add a liner that buttons in to make it warmer. I live in central Texas and temps here are seldom cold enough for the liner. You can find liners on eBay for less than $10 (brand new). I am a Navy veteran and the Navy didn't issue these jackets so I never wore the real thing but I am very happy with my Alpha. In my experience Alpha's (I was a pilot and have a few Alpha flight jackets) are very well made and hold up well. You can find these jackets new from numerous sources so shop around for the best deal.

Tito

A-List Customer
I have a M-65 Winfield year 1976. Is a fantastic jacket and completely water repellent. :eek:

otklxu.jpg

155oqpl.jpg

a5c9cp.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have an Alpha 1 year old. It's warm and strong. Water runs off it but it will soak if you stay out too long. They run large. I normally wear large or extra large upper garments. I wear a Medium in the M65 and it's still roomy.

alec0226

New in Town
I have a M-65 Winfield year 1976. Is a fantastic jacket and completely water repellent. :eek:

otklxu.jpg

155oqpl.jpg

a5c9cp.jpg

Looks great! Is it an issued one?
I got a Winfiled M65 made in1982, shell fabric is 50% cotton 50% nylon, but it feels softer than the issued version. I also have a few issued M65s made by Alpha and Cherokee in 1970's, I think it's a lot better than the M65 made by Alpha for civilian market nowadays.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo