Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MA-1 Flight jacket

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I just realized how similar the old golf jacket is to the MA-1. They don't have insulation or the pen pocket on the arm, but the knit collar and cuff can be similar. Maybe more similar to the L-2B without the epaulettes, because the golf pockets don't have flaps like the MA-1.

Peacoat

Bartender
I just realized how similar the old golf jacket is to the MA-1. They don't have insulation or the pen pocket on the arm, but the knit collar and cuff can be similar. Maybe more similar to the L-2B without the epaulettes, because the golf pockets don't have flaps like the MA-1.
Neither my MA-1, nor my L-2B have flaps or epaulettes. It depends on the specifications for the particular contract year. My L-2B is a 1965 or 1966 contract year, and my MA-1 is a 1967.

I have another L-2B I bought for a friend of mine in the latter part of 1969. It has both epaulettes and flaps. He gave it back to me when he outgrew it.

So, based on my small inventory, it appears the flaps and epaulettes started in 1968 or 1969.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Neither my MA-1, nor my L-2B have flaps or epaulettes. It depends on the specifications for the particular contract year. My L-2B is a 1965 or 1966 contract year, and my MA-1 is a 1967.

I have another L-2B I bought for a friend of mine in the latter part of 1969. It has both epaulettes and flaps. He gave it back to me when he outgrew it.

So, based on my small inventory, it appears the flaps and epaulettes started in 1968 or 1969.
The MA-1 jackets never had shoulder straps and the pocket flaps only came in on the last one or two contracts. The L2 series jackets (L2, L2A, and L2B) had shoulder straps and pocket flaps from the very start, and for most of the run until the last three(?) contracts.

Peacoat

Bartender
@Doctor Damage Well, I have an Army/Air Force L2B I wore for 4 years, from 1966 to 1970 that has no flaps or epaulettes. It was issued to me in flight school in 1966. What am I missing here?

It is somewhere in my closet; I will take another look at it to be sure.

Edit Note: I found my original L2-B. As I remembered, it has no flaps or epaulettes. I also found a 1967 Satellite L2-B I had forgotten about that has no flaps or epaulettes. So the epaulettes and flaps came along after 1967. They were a part of the Army/Air force flight jacket by 1969.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
The L2B jackets were made with contracts up to J, which was dated 1979. Here's what I've been able to gather from a couple books and photos and whatnot:
The contracts up to E had shoulder straps and pocket flaps (and that waistband tab).
The F, G, H contracts deleted the shoulder straps and pocket flaps (the G and H contracts also deleted the waistband tab).
The J and K contracts reintroduced pocket flaps.

Peacoat

Bartender
The L2B jackets were made with contracts up to J, which was dated 1979. Here's what I've been able to gather from a couple books and photos and whatnot:
The contracts up to E had shoulder straps and pocket flaps (and that waistband tab).
The F, G, H contracts deleted the shoulder straps and pocket flaps (the G and H contracts also deleted the waistband tab).
The J and K contracts reintroduced pocket flaps.
That is consistent with my L2-B. The one I can read the tag is the H series, and is a 1967 model. No flaps or epaulettes. I would say the flaps and epaulettes were reintroduced with the I model instead of the J model as the I model is the jacket I bought for my buddy at the end of 1969. It is an Alpha, and I bought it at the PX. So, it would be an official model authorized for wear by pilots.

Not sure what the waistband tab is.

So, you can add the I model with flaps and epaulettes to your data base. Good to see you are keeping up with this stuff.

Peacoat

Bartender
Are you sure there's an I spec? It seems like they might skip I since it could be misinterpreted as numeral 1 or lowercase L.
The tag was hard to read. Let me get it and look at it again.

Edit Note:

1967 Mil-J-7448H
1969 Mil-J-7448I
As best as I can make out. I used a jeweler's loupe to get a closer look. The last letter definitely isn't a K. Could it be a J? Possibly, but it looks like an I to me.

If your data base isn't showing anything for the I series, then we can call this a J so there won't be an anomaly. I intensely dislike anomalies.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
KWD56R.jpg

Fifty150

One Too Many
My Alpha Ground Crew , with civilian label, Made In USA, and sized down like slim fit. That is an anomaly. Every time I reach for something, like handlebars, the waist rides up my belly and the jacket may as well be a sports bra. I'm going to have to give it away. Same way I gave away all the Alpha Knox Armory label stuff.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
My Alpha Ground Crew , with civilian label, Made In USA, and sized down like slim fit. That is an anomaly. Every time I reach for something, like handlebars, the waist rides up my belly and the jacket may as well be a sports bra. I'm going to have to give it away. Same way I gave away all the Alpha Knox Armory label stuff.
What's the tag size?

Peacoat

Bartender
XL fits like medium.

I think my nephew in the 7th grade will fit into it.
Yes, these were sized small back in the 60s. Also short waisted as they were designed to be worn over a flight suit. Didn't help any when washed instead of being dry cleaned per the label instructions.

@Doctor Damage: Did you see my edit note in the post above about the letter series? I probably should have made it a separate post, but amended it instead. Then I realized you might not go back to that post.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
@Doctor Damage: Did you see my edit note in the post above about the letter series? I probably should have made it a separate post, but amended it instead. Then I realized you might not go back to that post.
thanks, I hadn't looked back... I don't have a database, I'm just cobbling together bits of data which I'm good at, I'll have to hunt the interweb to see if someone has put in the legwork on this

"I intensely dislike anomalies" haha

Peacoat

Bartender
thanks, I hadn't looked back... I don't have a database, I'm just cobbling together bits of data which I'm good at, I'll have to hunt the interweb to see if someone has put in the legwork on this

"I intensely dislike anomalies" haha

In my post above, #768, I said my L2-B 1969, Mil-J-7448? appeared to have the last letter as an I. Your comment was to the effect that you weren't aware of an I contract. This morning, in a different light, and with a more powerful jeweler's loupe, I looked at the contract number again. I also closely compared a known letter J to the last letter in the questioned contract number. I didn't do this previously.

I can now say that what I had thought to be the letter I, is actually the letter J. You have a good eye for noting this discrepancy.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
In my post above, #768, I said my L2-B 1969, Mil-J-7448? appeared to have the last letter as an I. Your comment was to the effect that you weren't aware of an I contract. This morning, in a different light, and with a more powerful jeweler's loupe, I looked at the contract number again. I also closely compared a known letter J to the last letter in the questioned contract number. I didn't do this previously.

I can now say that what I had thought to be the letter I, is actually the letter J. You have a good eye for noting this discrepancy.
well that finalizes that question, thanks for updating

SilverFox1

New in Town
After searching for vintage MA-1 info I found this forum, so figured I'd sign up in hopes someone might be able to help me with one I have.

I was issued this jacket new, still sealed in plastic, in 1979. I never opened it until sometime after I retired in 1995. I put it on a time or two but never wore it anywhere. Hung it in my closet where it has remained since.

Label shows it was manufactured by Greenbrier, July 22, 1976, and is "as new". Recently thought I should start wearing it but a medium is just a bit tight on me these days. Unsure if I want to part with it but would appreciate any insight as to what value it may have.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
After searching for vintage MA-1 info I found this forum, so figured I'd sign up in hopes someone might be able to help me with one I have.

I was issued this jacket new, still sealed in plastic, in 1979. I never opened it until sometime after I retired in 1995. I put it on a time or two but never wore it anywhere. Hung it in my closet where it has remained since.

Label shows it was manufactured by Greenbrier, July 22, 1976, and is "as new". Recently thought I should start wearing it but a medium is just a bit tight on me these days. Unsure if I want to part with it but would appreciate any insight as to what value it may have.
It would likely have substantial value, given it's unworn condition and if it's a genuine military jacket (the date makes sense). Japanese buyers would probably snap it up for $$$. Take a look at the windflap under the zipper: does it have long rows of vertical stitching? Also, if poss, could you post a photo of the tag?

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All I can say is from my observation on various listings on ebay and Yahoo Auction JP. Huge difference in value between an early say 50s-60s MA-1 and a 70s MA-1. A B-15 is usually double the price of a 50s MA-1 which is in turn double the price of a 70s MA-1. A very good condition like new 70s MA-1 may fetch higher price but I doubt it would be as much as a passable condition 50s MA-1.
For reference, this excellent condition B-15 sold for around USD1500
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b443524730
and this is listed at around the same price and will likely remain unsold due to the poorer condition
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/o262048693
This 50s ok condition MA-1 is listed for less than half of the B-15
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e40607210
A ok condition 1971 MA-1 BIN USD 160
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k460317836

On a related note, traders like this one below is quite ambitious but these are traders and they often aim to drive up/maintain prices even if that means they don't sell anything.
https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/seller/reedproducts1945

Besides not a good time to sell in this buyer's market.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Reminds me of the days when you could pick up a 70s Fender Stratocaster for buttons, because everyone knew that the CBS years in general, and the 70s in particular, were "bad" years. Then the price of pre-CBS, and immediate post-CBS buyout models skyrocketed beyond what anyone mortal could afford, and suddenly those 70s guitars looked more interesting. People noticed more and more of them being snapped up by the Japanese, and now those 70s guitars are worth ten times what they sold for in the mid 90s. It'll be the smae in due course with a lot of these nylon jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko