Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MA-1 Flight jacket

Edward

Bartender
No but effectively yes.

By the time the B-15 got to B-15C, it was very close to an MA-1, except the collar.

The fur collar of the B-15 was deemed a fire risk, so jackets were recalled to have it removed and replaced with a knit collar (that’s the modification in question). Subsequent jackets were made with the knit collar from the start, under the MA-1 contract.

There are some differences like how the MA-1 marked a return to green (B-15 jackets had shifted to blue to show the Air Force’s new identity as a separate branch, however for obvious reasons, dark blue was not good camo!)

The return to the green was made by the B-15D after many pilots in the field in Korea preferred the older, B15-B over the C when they could get one, green being less obvious if downed in enemy-controlled territory... There were B-15D-Mod jackets as well, even more indistinguishable from MkI (pre-orange liner) MA1s.

As well as apparent fire risks, I've also heard it said that the knit collar design was much less likely to foul on various plane harnesses and such by that point. I'm not sure, though, how accurate that is, given there are a lot of legends spring up around this stuff.

I didn't originally care for the MA1, but I've grown to enjoy the design more in recent years, based on its practicality. Although an anachronism, a nomex MA1 would be quite something.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The return to the green was made by the B-15D after many pilots in the field in Korea preferred the older, B15-B over the C when they could get one, green being less obvious if downed in enemy-controlled territory... There were B-15D-Mod jackets as well, even more indistinguishable from MkI (pre-orange liner) MA1s.

Correct! I left that detail out because I thought it might be confusing but completely true. The green switch had already happened with revision D, but the MA-1 started at that shade and never changed (saved the later orange reversible side of that counts) outside civilian versions.

Edward

Bartender
Correct! I left that detail out because I thought it might be confusing but completely true. The green switch had already happened with revision D, but the MA-1 started at that shade and never changed (saved the later orange reversible side of that counts) outside civilian versions.

Indeed. I've read many claims online over the years of a USAF "blue MA1", but I believe the claimers confused a B15-C Mod for an MA1...

The variations on the MA1 are interesting as they were so subtle and limited - the arrival of the orange liner circa 1962 (if memory serves), the later arrival of the pocket flaps, and the switch from wool/cotton insulation to polyester. The only other variation that really comes to mind was the small number with vertical stitching on the windflap, a la SMcQ's jacket in The Hunter. Probably one reason it became so iconic, the relative lack of significant change.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Here's a photo of the navy B-15C with the fur collar repro. Marilyn wore the original to cheer the Korean war troops right?
albert turner marylin.jpg

And the green B-15C Mod repro without the fur collar. Was this jacket used in any films or worn by celebrities?
1681838994458.png

Someone just beat me to the green used one... Another day...

Edward

Bartender
Here's a photo of the navy B-15C with the fur collar repro. Marilyn wore the original to cheer the Korean war troops right?
View attachment 509182

And the green B-15C Mod repro without the fur collar. Was this jacket used in any films or worn by celebrities?
View attachment 509185

Someone just beat me to the green used one... Another day...

Yes, Marilyn did one of those USO tours of Korea, as memory serves. I've always wondered what happened to that B15C. If it was - as I suspect - borrowed for the occasion, either it came from QM Supplies, so some guy unknowingly got issued with the jacket Marilyn wore, or some guy did loan it, but never told the story for whatever reason. If it's whereabouts were ever confirmed I'm sure it would be worth big money!

The blue B15C is my favourite of all the USAF textile jackets.

The only MA1-looking jackets I can ever recall seeing on screen were worn by various neo-Nazi skinhead villain characters, and Steve McQueen in his final role, in The Hunter. If they ever do finally get around to making a tv show (surely a big budget streaming series would be better than a film) of Pattern Recognition, then there will be a second, more positive portrayal of one, albeit black....

Aloysius

The only MA1-looking jackets I can ever recall seeing on screen were worn by various neo-Nazi skinhead villain characters, and Steve McQueen in his final role, in The Hunter. If they ever do finally get around to making a tv show (surely a big budget streaming series would be better than a film) of Pattern Recognition, then there will be a second, more positive portrayal of one, albeit black....

There was recently an adaptation of another Gibson novel. I thought the lead was perfectly cast but they seemed to make it into the most generic sci fi so I couldn’t bring myself to watch.

Edward

Bartender
There was recently an adaptation of another Gibson novel. I thought the lead was perfectly cast but they seemed to make it into the most generic sci fi so I couldn’t bring myself to watch.

Oh, which one was that?

Candace is such a great character, she really deserves a series. Not least as the whole thing about branding and consumer culture has only become more relevant since it was written. (I'm currently reading Douglas Coupland's 2008 novel, JPod - similar effect).

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Yes, Marilyn did one of those USO tours of Korea, as memory serves. I've always wondered what happened to that B15C. If it was - as I suspect - borrowed for the occasion, either it came from QM Supplies, so some guy unknowingly got issued with the jacket Marilyn wore, or some guy did loan it, but never told the story for whatever reason. If it's whereabouts were ever confirmed I'm sure it would be worth big money!

The blue B15C is my favourite of all the USAF textile jackets.

JFK... just kidding. If I were a pilot there at the time I'd give my jacket to her. Haha.

Funny thing is I just watched the Jack Ryan TV series and every season the main villain wore a leather cafe racer type jacket. But I do remember the time when the nylon flight bomber was associated being a villainy too.

I scored a really good deal on an used B-15C repro, will post some pics when I get it. The navy one is indeed one of my fav too.

Peripheral right? Just started watching the pilot last night. Been binging through the Prime shows lately. They did Jack Ryan well. Harrison Ford was Jack Ryan but the office guy isn't bad either.

Edward

Bartender
It surprisingly looks the part. Minimal branding, nice wire pull zippers, seems to be a nylon with the right drape too.

Yes, that's what struck me about it too! Though if I bought one, I'd have to lose the label on the sleeve.... Still, it does look nice. It's interesting they went with the earlier slash pockets rather than the later flapped style. I wish the website showed the liner colour; I'd love to know if they went orange or green there.

They also did a nice souvenir jacket that looks identical to Bronson's reversible option - did wonder if they had them made in the same place (though SD added their logo to the sleeve just above the cuff!).

Aloysius

They also did a nice souvenir jacket that looks identical to Bronson's reversible option - did wonder if they had them made in the same place (though SD added their logo to the sleeve just above the cuff!).

Schott had some great souvenir jackets done up in proper MA-1 cloth in the factory sale. They were well under $50.

Edward

Bartender
Schott had some great souvenir jackets done up in proper MA-1 cloth in the factory sale. They were well under $50.

Jinkies, that's quite the reduction. I saw those when they were new. The Flying Tigers model looked particularly nice, though I wasn't sold on them being basically an MA1 rather than a more traditional, lighter souvenir jacket. For less than fifty bucks, though, I suspect I'd have jumped on one anyhow.

This is the Bronson I'm intrigued by.... If I was certain that the XXL would work for me, I'd jump on it. They're just a little too much of a faff for returns of it comes up too small. (I normally find I have to go up a size in everything from China, no matter what designation they give it - I'm basically a US XL / UK XXL / Chinese XXXL most of the time...)

https://bronsonshop.com/products/reversible-suka-yokosuka-embroidery-jacket?variant=31625643917356

Aloysius

Jinkies, that's quite the reduction. I saw those when they were new. The Flying Tigers model looked particularly nice, though I wasn't sold on them being basically an MA1 rather than a more traditional, lighter souvenir jacket. For less than fifty bucks, though, I suspect I'd have jumped on one anyhow.

This is the Bronson I'm intrigued by.... If I was certain that the XXL would work for me, I'd jump on it. They're just a little too much of a faff for returns of it comes up too small. (I normally find I have to go up a size in everything from China, no matter what designation they give it - I'm basically a US XL / UK XXL / Chinese XXXL most of the time...)

https://bronsonshop.com/products/reversible-suka-yokosuka-embroidery-jacket?variant=31625643917356

I will add you to the mental list of forum friends to check in with before this year's sale.

If I have a list of sizes and desired models (as well as cutoff prices), I can pretty much find something for anyone. The 2021 sale was a bit sparse (probably due to lockdown affecting factory capacity) but last autumn there was a wealth of jackets available at massive reductions, sometimes due to a minor scuff, sometimes simply because the model was discontinued or minorly changed, and sometimes for no reason at all besides factory space (they're a fairly small building, considering, which is part warehouse, part office, part factory).

Edward

Bartender
I will add you to the mental list of forum friends to check in with before this year's sale.

If I have a list of sizes and desired models (as well as cutoff prices), I can pretty much find something for anyone. The 2021 sale was a bit sparse (probably due to lockdown affecting factory capacity) but last autumn there was a wealth of jackets available at massive reductions, sometimes due to a minor scuff, sometimes simply because the model was discontinued or minorly changed, and sometimes for no reason at all besides factory space (they're a fairly small building, considering, which is part warehouse, part office, part factory).

Appreciated, thank-you! :)

cbez

One Too Many
Horsehide version from the William Gibson collection. Feels like a lot of material in the armpit for me.

One thing I noticed that's cool is how the back stitch or pattern makes a kind of hidden shoulder gusset fold.

Attachments

• 20231018_115047.jpg
    20231018_115047.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 45
  • 20231018_115118.jpg
    20231018_115118.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 47

I-Jusa-I

Familiar Face
Would anyone happen to have any tips on how to reduce nylon the insulation "shredding" on the inside of a ma-1 jacket?

I have the Bronson repro and wearing it with a black wool shirt underneath is kind of annoying with how many white strands it picks up from the insulation. Or is it just something that I have to deal with?

I think I saw someone mention using hairspray on the inside to seal it up?

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I posted something similar in a thread a couple months ago, but now I see it was in the wrong thread. It's been a long time since I bought an MA-1, so please bear with me. Do Rothco and Alpha Industries, or anyone really, still make authentic vs cheaper models? I looked at the Rothco website, and they make several different models, but it isn't clear whether one is an attempt at the old jackets or not. "Lightweight" clearly is not it, but the others are unclear. I remember when I bought mine, you could spend $100+ for the authentic one or $50 for the less authentic model. Similar to how you can buy a hockey jersey with a fight strap and all the reinforcements vs the stripped down, less expensive version. If you know any label codes to watch for, design details, or model names, I'd appreciate it.

links would be very, very much appreciated. that is, if they have any detailed information on their websites. I've found them to be woefully lacking.

*in all likeliness, I will be buying a used jacket off ebay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner