Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Dogs, Englishmen, and Texans

Baggers

Practically Family
Noel Coward almost had it right. ;)

I decided to go out and do a bit of light yard work this afternoon and thought I'd give the KDs and my repro Wolesley a workout. Before I started I snapped the shot below. Time: about 1:30 CDT. Temperature: 104¬? F. Humidity: a relatively dry 30%. :eek:

I stripped off the shirt and worked on my tan for 30 minutes while I raked up and bagged the detritus from the bird and squirrel feeders, then called it quits. I may crazy, but I'm not stupid. This ensemble actually works rather well in these conditions, but I didn't want to soil the shirt with my sweat just yet. I've had several aertex shirts over the years, and I find they are much more comfortable in hot weather than what is usually avaiable in stores these days. Too bad my source only has them in khaki and jungle green (and in decidedly "un-hip" styles according to current fashion trends), but then that's just about all I wear anyway.

While the uniform might be more appropriate for Kufra in 1941, the backdrop and humidity seem more Far Eastern to me. I wonder if the conditions were similar in Burma as the British were retreating into India from the Japanese in 1942?

MadDogs01.jpg

Ah yes, I'm also wearing my "spectacles, tinted, no. 3".

One of these days I'm going to have a veranda upon which to put the wicker furniture, and then I'm going to enjoy sitting back and listening to the cicadas while sipping a cool gin & tonic from a glass dripping with condensation, while the ceiling fan stirs the air around me. But only on days when the temperature doesn't crack 90¬?! As I wrote earlier, I may be crazy but I'm not stupid! :p

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
Sefton said:
Wonderful! Now go relax and pop in the video of "The Lost Patrol" for some English desert adventure!;)

I don't have that one, but I do have "Nine Men," "Ice Cold in Alex," and a dupe of "Sea of Sand." Those ought to do the trick.

Cheers!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Bravo! That's the way to break in some gear! My wife told me to stop wearing my aertex shirt around! lol So uncool that she just couldn't stand it anymore. I think it's very cool, but what do I know, eh?

BTW, where did you get your belt? Was that a common part of the walking out dress? I only have my standard P-37 belt.

I still have to get some shots in my altered shorts for you. Yours still have a better fit than mine, though!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
That is the most perfect ensemble for going to the corner store for a popsicle I have ever seen. Jolly good!

Baggers

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
Bravo! That's the way to break in some gear! My wife told me to stop wearing my aertex shirt around! lol So uncool that she just couldn't stand it anymore. I think it's very cool, but what do I know, eh?

Uncool? Uncool? that shirt is the very essense of cool! Both figuratively and literally! Methinks she's just jealous and doesn't want you looking cooler than her! lol

After 15 years of marriage (anniversary next week, must not forget!) my wife has pretty much gotten used to me wearing whatever I want, although I try not to test her too much when we go out in public together. For example, I probably would have left the topee at home. ;) But then, after being in theatrical productions for about 25 years (sometimes together), she's seen me wearing a lot sillier stuff on stage, so her threshold is fairly high. All she really asks is that I try not to look nicer than her. As a good husband, I try not to provide any competition.

The only time she gave me any grief was when we were heading back to East Texas to have Thanskgiving dinner with her family and she told me that they might beat me up if I wore my basque beret.

Mojave Jack said:
BTW, where did you get your belt? Was that a common part of the walking out dress? I only have my standard P-37 belt.

I got that from Lawrance Ordnance in Australia when I bought my WW1 ankle boots. I think it's part of the 1903 leather cavalry equipment set. It was never part of walking out dress, but I've seen several pictures of troopers wearing it out in the desert to hold their pants up.

Mojave Jack said:
I still have to get some shots in my altered shorts for you. Yours still have a better fit than mine, though!

Either you're built real funny, or you have to stop listening to your wife! lol But then you should see what those shorts look like when I turn sideways!

Cheers!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
That's a great ensemble Baggers!

I have an original 1903 pattern belt, with a '41 date- bought it new in a junk shop. I really want one of the early, leather, snake-clasp belts.

Do those specs have the leather side blinkers..?

I don't have a back garden here in the City, so taking pics of me in my gear is a bit difficult- but I would if I did.

Well done-

B
T

Baggers

Practically Family
Thanks BT. When I think of all the cool stuff possibly lying about in second hand shops all over Europe I get a little nauseous. Why couldn't I be as interested in U.S. kit? :rolleyes:

Yes, those specs do have the leather sideshields. I have a book about Rhodesians in the L.R.D.G. that has several pictures in which soldiers are seen wearing them.

And my back garden looks more like a desert itself right now what with the drought we're experiencing here. Landscape watering has been limited to one day a week right now and may be banned altogether if we don't get significant rainfall soon. Frankly, it doesn't bother me that much as I was in the middle of a major landscaping redesign when the restrictions went into effect, and all it means to me is that I get to postpone further large outlays of money until the water rationing gets lifted and I can resume work. :)

Otterhound, the helmet actually does its job fairly well. The only issue is the sweatband. It's leather, but it doesn't absorb sweat and I have to deal with it running down my forehead and dripping on my glasses occasionally. If it weren't for that, it would be perfect.

Cheers!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Baggers said:
Yes, those specs do have the leather sideshields. I have a book about Rhodesians in the L.R.D.G. that has several pictures in which soldiers are seen wearing them.

How do you like them with the side-shields? Do they fog up on you? What are the specs on those specs? I don't think I've ever seen them before. Are they hard to find?

Baggers said:
And my back garden looks more like a desert itself right now what with the drought we're experiencing here.

Mine looks like a desert, too! Well, I guess it always does! lol

Baggers said:
Otterhound, the helmet actually does its job fairly well. The only issue is the sweatband. It's leather, but it doesn't absorb sweat and I have to deal with it running down my forehead and dripping on my glasses occasionally. If it weren't for that, it would be perfect.

What kind of suspension does your topee have in it? I wear my fiberglass helmet every now and then, but it has no suspension at all. Even with the leather headband I added, the sweat lubricates it so it keeps sliding lower and lower and lower... I've been trying to figure out how to put the suspension from my kevlar helmet in there to keep it up, or perhaps just fabricate one.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Baggers,

That kit is outstanding, even all of your leather matches from the band on your pith to your belt to your watchband.

The sleeves on that shirt roll up very nicely and very neatly.

Oh, and I take it you are clean shaven these days?

I was going to tease you when I saw the photo and ask if I could borrow the Ferrari, but that comment is beneath so perfect an outfit. Outstanding, my good man. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Baggers said:
Thanks BT. When I think of all the cool stuff possibly lying about in second hand shops all over Europe I get a little nauseous. Why couldn't I be as interested in U.S. kit? :rolleyes:

I used to be into the WW2 US gear but after living in London and now in
N. Europe, I'm all for the European and British stuff.
I have a NOS pair of those specs, they are pretty cool.

I'm still hunting for more Khaki gear and some more '30s style boots.

I'm soon going to commision the manufacture of some hybrid 'vintage' civilian/military khaki(and olive among others) and tweed(not together) clothing- of my own design.
Maybe some leather jackets too.

All this is something that has been in the planning/research/sourcing stages for years but put off endlessly by moving to foreign lands, lack of funds and the arrival of bundles of joy. It's interesting to see the offerings from Orvis/Roosevelt, J. Peterman and the like but that stuff just doesn't cut the mustard. I'm taking the best of the '30s military- British and European and the civilian sporting attire of the era and hopefully ending up with some stylish, functional and quality adventuring clothing with a strong taste of Golden Era- in style and construction.

Over the last 2 years of FLounging, I've been all mouth and no trousers over this project- dropping the odd hint here and there but soon, (hopefully a matter of months)the fruity... er... fruition of my labours and loins will be available for general admiration, perhaps drooling and consumption.
Maybe even for sale, if there's interest. It'll be the best available in the niche/genre- which won't really be that hard.
But please excuse me if it takes my whole life- I am but a poor boy with sky-high ideas...

The Peterman jackets are something that I like but I have vast improvements to make over their styling.

It annoys me somewhat that these big companies market their wares with Golden Era references but fall very short of delivering the authentic style.
The repro/reenactor market does a good job of filling the gaps (for you, me and Jack) but something more civilian in style is the real gap for me.
It's nice to wear the Khakis and whatnot but not always nice to be dressed as a soldier... I feel.

B
T

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
BT, I look forward to the availability of your line! I like having some of the particular uniforms for impressions and lectures and so forth. The rest of the time, however, I just like the military or British Colonial inspired look. It can easily go over the top at times. I like the practical, comfortable, and sharp look of the look, but sometimes khaki on khaki on khaki can get a bit tiresome.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Precisely-

But there will be a lot of Khaki however-
But not as we know it Jim/Jack.

Not really a line, as such- more a sampling of my favourite things, 'improved' to suit my æsthetic, a real vintage æsthetic and hopefully matching that of similar thinkers. When I have something to show, then there may be the possibility of getting a production run underway. And if so, it will be very limited, exclusive sounds better... We'll see how it goes- maybe then, after testing the proverbial waters, onward and upward- why not.

A dream fulfilled-

I have archives of images, oodles of sketchbooks and an abundance of swatches.

I do listen with all ears, to fellow Loungers; you Jack, Baggers, Hemmingway, Scott and a few others, so my wild ideas are somewhat fashioned around the thoughts, dreams and wishes of others, rather than just my own.

A measure of what I have seen and heard here- passive market research perhaps.

I would classify the fine bunch of Gents here as afficianados, knowers of the right stuff and what it is.
So you can pat yourselves on the back if all goes well.

Let's wait and see...

B
T

Speedster

Practically Family
Well, get it on the market BT

for the rest of us to buy. Would love to see civilian clothes from the golden era (especially khaki and tweed) available. Up till now my daily working outfit is Dockers K-1, a chambray shirt and an A-2 leather jacket, but the company now wants to introduce a dress-code (suit and tie) and the modern stuff doesn't appeal to me.

And Baggers that's a very cool outfit you have.

Baggers

Practically Family
Well, BT, you and I are of the same mind on this subject. As soon as you have something to show, and if it comes out as well as you're hinting at, I'm sure that as soon as you post it here I'll be waving my money at you along with several others from the Lounge. And I hope that one of your first items is decently tailored bush jacket.

Speaking of which, I took a few shots of my closest contender for personal favorite, but the images came out slightly overexposed like the other time. I think I've figured it out, so I'll try again a little later today when it cools off a bit.

Cheers!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Rest assured Baggers-

Bush jackets and other types of Tropical apparel are near the top of my agenda.

I have thought long and hard about making suits but the market, the others like us expect more than can be supplied in a distance clothing business.

Seperates are the way to go but no S,M and L.

There will of course, be, nicely proportioned pockets, features such as 4 pleated, invert pleat and belted, yoked backs- super high waisted trousers- tailored waistlines. Maybe, just maybe, I have a source for white Aertex for making some great shirts.

But one must remember that the items would be made to order, not made to measure and as such, the fitting of jackets cannot be as perfect as the individual may hope for- but for a person of 'normal' proportions, all should be well.

Various belts and other accoutrements are in the pipeline- I have even investigated hat manufacture but the costs, volume and limitations of suppliers are prohibitive for my purposes and scale.

There is much, much more, probably enough to just about fill everyone's widh lists.

Maybe YOU guys should be dropping ME hints re: your requirements...

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy