Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men attire

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
By the look of the fabric wrinkling at the forearms they seam to be light weight and current 8 to 10 ounce fabric. The sleeves are too long to my eye for the day, I think it's a modern tailors perspective at work.

drapersterlinglightgreysuits.jpg

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I completely agree.

Sorry I've been missing in action for a while, just been rearranging my life a bit.

Yeah, I had heard as such; hope you're doing all right.

Regarding the ties used on the show, they do seem pretty accurate, although not all neckwear of that time contained just variations of grey and black. What do you think of the pocket squares in the photo? That's the way I wore my white ones for years.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I imagine wearing a heavy weight cloth would be pretty hot under the lights of a flim studio. I know that Bob Crane wore a thin A-2 on Hogan's Heros because of the heat generated by lighting so I wonder if this may be the reasoning behind the suits on Mad Men?

gegarrenton

New in Town
I imagine wearing a heavy weight cloth would be pretty hot under the lights of a flim studio. I know that Bob Crane wore a thin A-2 on Hogan's Heros because of the heat generated by lighting so I wonder if this may be the reasoning behind the suits on Mad Men?
I think this has a lot to do with it. I was speaking with my tailor the other day about cloth weight, and generally these days it's tending toward light as possible while still laying up nicely for anything other than a winter weight suit.

In general with Mad Men, I think it's a theme they go for, and not necessarily exact accuracy. They do get a lot of details right though to give the show it's proper feel.

Love the show btw.

Feraud

Bartender
I hope this lightweight cloth madness will end one day...

At the very least I would appreciate seeing heavier weight otr garments available in the wintertime. While browsing some of the winter garments available in stores I notice little difference in weight from summer options..

Lokar

A-List Customer
At the very least I would appreciate seeing heavier weight otr garments available in the wintertime. While browsing some of the winter garments available in stores I notice little difference in weight from summer options..

It's pretty mad here. The weather is so bad that my wife may have to stay at work overnight today (she works until 11 PM), as the snow is such a problem, yet people are wearing horribly lightweight clothing. Even overcoats - they're maybe 12oz and are the same length as a normal jacket because that's what is fashionable - even though it's entirely impratical.

carldelo

One Too Many
I agree with the conclusions re: the look of the Madmen suits - still nice though, I'd definitely wear one nowadays.

Re: cloth weight, I'm always too warm, so light weight suits are beneficial. I understand the period argument, however. For winter, I make up for light suits with a long heavy overcoat (and hat gloves and scarf, of course). I have a couple of heavy flannel suits that I can barely abide indoors - good for outdoor activities, but brutal in a warm office or restaurant. The 3-piece H-F suit would be a fine walking suit for the Scottish Highlands, in fact, but I can't work in it. It's true that most of the knuckleheads out there haven't enough sense to wear a proper winter coat. I get called 'Godfather' in my overcoat, even without wearing a hat....

That seems to be the trend these days. Now, I am like an oven, always warm. I do wear heavy flannels, and a Carhartt jacket this time of year. When I go to break at work, I watch other people walk out of the plant in just our short-sleeved uniform shirts. Or after work, one of my friends leaves in a wife-beater. Come on, it's Wisconsin, and it's December. I believe winter clothes are proper attire.

It's pretty mad here. The weather is so bad that my wife may have to stay at work overnight today (she works until 11 PM), as the snow is such a problem, yet people are wearing horribly lightweight clothing. Even overcoats - they're maybe 12oz and are the same length as a normal jacket because that's what is fashionable - even though it's entirely impratical.

Hal

Practically Family
I hope this lightweight cloth madness will end one day...
So do I; but I don't think it will unless and until the overheating of interiors also ends.
carldelo said:
I have a couple of heavy flannel suits that I can barely abide indoors - good for outdoor activities, but brutal in a warm office or restaurant.
This, again, is because interiors are grossly overheated. It is undesirable on both economic and environmental grounds. When will they ever learn?

Feraud's comment (and Lokar's second comment) should be noted - fashion is the enemy of practicality.

Torpedo

One Too Many
5255885574_c3bc971dbf.jpg

Any thoughts on Jared Harris's (Lane Pryce) choice of a contrasting waistcoat?

I do like it too (In fact I actually do it often). There was another character, "Duck Phillips", who sported that look too, although not so habitually I would think; he was mostly discontinued after the first season IIRC.

PhantomKnight

New in Town
I guess they share a wardrobe... :p

madmen2x13meditationsin.jpg

I love how all of the material of each piece of clothing seems to be made out of some sort of raised and lowered squares. Seems like it would feel AMAZING!!!

madmen2x13meditationsin.jpg

Last edited:

PhantomKnight

New in Town
Imagine the combination of hot Hollywood sets with those suits. Then imagine air conditioning with the hair. I am not surprised that in some scenes the actors look like they have just gone for a summers run in their suits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran