Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The men are played as yuppies. Yuppies didn't exist in 1960. Of course there were young, urban professionals, but they weren't this callow and blasé. They were a lot more like our dads. Even the strong silent types weren't quite this silent.

Some of the women have it down. Only some. Peggy's convincing (altho if you came from Bay Ridge then you had an accent big enough to drive a RR train thru.) I like Midge best, altho she's more 2-dimensional.

Of course, to appeal to the target audience, everybody has to be somewhat sexy and have young ideas, which means the men - especially - have to be somewhat callow and not too much like our dads.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
scotrace said:
But she hopped into bed with the first co-worker who knocked on her door - on the eve of his wedding... with her roommate at home and awake.
AND, she hit on Don the next day. :eek:

$ally

One Too Many
scotrace said:
But she hopped into bed with the first co-worker who knocked on her door - on the eve of his wedding... with her roommate at home and awake.
Tomasso said:
AND, she hit on Don the next day.
Yeah, that's true, good point. Joan had adviced her to behave as Joan does. Peggy blindly did as told and got on the pill (wasn't that doctor AWFUL?). However, she did regret it and didn't do that again with following coworkers who tried to have their wicked way with her. I loved her in the lipstick scenes! I'm still putting my money on Peggy and Rachel as the ones who will come out on top. They have the usual soap opera formula.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
RedHotRidinHood said:
I like Don, because even though he is a heel in some ways, he truly loves his children and his wife, and I think he is limited in how he can show it, mostly because of (I think) the way he was raised and things he experienced. He's a complicated person to be sure. I think he is trying to strike a balance between what society expects of him and what he thinks he wants to do, even though he believes in nothing around him./QUOTE]

I've been watching the show from the start, I thought it started a little slow, but I agree with redhotridinhood, especially after last weeks episode, Don's little brother finding him with a new identity and all...... I think the show is beginning to develop.... it's got me hooked for the moment.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
They really should get Draper a decent hat - and show him how to wear it.

Oddly, he is one of only a couple of characters on the show who seem to be clumsy with some of the props and costumes. I think Cosgrove has never actually held a cigarette before.

ShortClara

One Too Many
After last night's show... **SPOILER ALERT!!**

I officially dislike the actress playing the wife Betty. I didn't believe that lame slap one little bit and I think the reason the character is so flat and limited is because of the poor performance. There. I said it. I tried to think that maybe she was introverted and deep, but I think there's just nothing much there.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
AMC is airing all of the previous MM episodes this Sunday.

All previous episodes are also free On Demand. I don't get AMC, so this has worked out for me. I've caught up on all the past episodes and will now be able to follow the series weekly, just a week or so behind everyone else :)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I continue to enjoy this show, but this week's episode had a very surprising lapse in the mostly accurate period dialog: "The elevators are down." Nobody would have used the term "down" in 1960 - this big-computer-system lingo usage didn't enter the vernacular until the 80s!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Doctor Strange said:
Nobody would have used the term "down" in 1960 - this big-computer-system lingo usage didn't enter the vernacular until the 80s!
I believe that the term "down" has been used in connection with industry (assembly lines, power plants, engines, etc..) all the way back to the Golden Era. She's down vs. She's up and running.

Nick Charles

Practically Family
I'm really liking it and the vomit looked totally authentic;) Nice to see Drapper is sadistic.(take that for hitting on my child like wife)

How do you sleep at night?

Drapper: "on a bed of money"

that was the best line I've heard in a long time.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Nick Charles said:
I'm really liking it and the vomit looked totally authentic;) Nice to see Drapper is sadistic.(take that for hitting on my child like wife)

How do you sleep at night?

Drapper: "on a bed of money"

that was the best line I've heard in a long time.

Draper took that dirty beatnik to town, I loved it!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I'm so anxiously awaiting the next episode, but won't get to see it til Friday, since I have to watch it on On Demand. BOO! While I was catching up on the past episodes, we were watching a couple a night and now I have to wait a whole week between episodes? lol

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Vladimir Berkov said:
Draper took that dirty beatnik to town, I loved it!
Unfortunately, in tonight's episode, it seemed like they got to him. :rolleyes: I'm sorry, but to me, the beatnik/hippy thing got very old, very quick.

I'm conflicted about my thoughts in general with this show. I like the glimpse into how the advertising companies work, and the costumes, and attention to detail. But I feel, like I think other people had said, that it almost makes a mockery of the time, generalizing EVERYONE as either cold, hard, materialistic,immoral, and insensitive...or hippies/beatniks. I didn't live back then, but I know that this wasn't the case, and the constant tone of "Ugh, look how depraved and lost everyone was back then", tends to grate on the nerves. Maybe my perception is skewed, but that's my take so far. We'll see what happens.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Since you guys are on the subject....I thought I would share this:

CS4_Cover_sm.jpg

LadyStardust

Practically Family
MK said:
Since you guys are on the subject....I thought I would share this:

CS4_Cover_sm.jpg

Well gosh, hike up the anticipation even more! :) Now I definitely can't wait to receive the issue! I actually like Don(and Jon!), I don't agree with all of his actions, but I think in the end he is redeemable.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
LadyStardust said:
detail. But I feel, like I think other people had said, that it almost makes a mockery of the time, generalizing EVERYONE as either cold, hard, materialistic,immoral, and insensitive...or hippies/beatniks. I didn't live back then, but I know that this wasn't the case, and the constant tone of "Ugh, look how depraved and lost everyone was back then", tends to grate on the nerves. Maybe my perception is skewed, but that's my take so far. We'll see what happens.

I don't think they generalize everyone - just everyone within a certain place and time :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR