Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I may be having a senior moment but I can't for the life of me remeber who Beth was! She looked familiar but... I swear I have seen all the episodes but I think I may subconciously 'forget' anything to do with Pete as she has such a smackable face!
Can anyone please remind me? I think I may have just had shock treatment!

Lily Powers

Practically Family
I didn't like Megan either this season, but I can't figure out why. Does anyone here know why they didn't take to her, apart from her being force-fed to us (which I agree with)? It may help me figure it out.

I'm going to step over to the minority opinion side and admit that I really liked Megan (brrrr, it's cold and lonely here! :)). She so captured the youth and possibilities of the era. She loved her husband, and dealt with him in a pretty straightforward way yet still showing him he's sexy to her. Do you think you would have liked her more if she wasn't married to Don? Lots of people seem to want him to go back to his wild ways, so maybe the dislike of Megan was because their marriage seemed to tame Don a bit (sort of a shock treatment, marital-style).

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I don't think my personal dislike of Megan's character had anything to do with her being married to Don and keeping him from being a cad. I thought she seemed petulant and immature. I also didn't care for the way the writers made it obvious she was supposed to be desired by evvvvvvvvveryone (especially after the Zou Bisou incident), but I didn't find her appealing at all. Jessica Pare is very pretty; I just didn't care for the way they shoved her character on us.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I may be having a senior moment but I can't for the life of me remeber who Beth was! She looked familiar but... I swear I have seen all the episodes but I think I may subconciously 'forget' anything to do with Pete as she has such a smackable face!
Can anyone please remind me? I think I may have just had shock treatment!

Beth was the wife of Pete's fellow train commuter - the guy that sold life insurance and kept telling Pete about his hot new girlfriend in the city. Beth and Pete slept together a few episodes back; Pete found her at the train station waiting for her husband, but she had locked her keys in her car. Her husband was out catting around and Pete covered for him, and drove Beth home.

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
I don't think my personal dislike of Megan's character had anything to do with her being married to Don and keeping him from being a cad. I thought she seemed petulant and immature. I also didn't care for the way the writers made it obvious she was supposed to be desired by evvvvvvvvveryone (especially after the Zou Bisou incident), but I didn't find her appealing at all. Jessica Pare is very pretty; I just didn't care for the way they shoved her character on us.

That's exactly how I felt. It's like she was being forced onto us, we were all suppose to love her, because she was the 'Next Big Thing'

I would rather have seen Don try a new life with a mature behaving woman, one who is more secure in life, a better match. Then it would have been more disappointing when/if things didn't work out between them. With the pouting and immature Megan you know that it's just a matter of time before it goes bad, and I feel like the sooner it happens the better.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
That's exactly how I felt. It's like she was being forced onto us, we were all suppose to love her, because she was the 'Next Big Thing'

I would rather have seen Don try a new life with a mature behaving woman, one who is more secure in life, a better match. Then it would have been more disappointing when/if things didn't work out between them. With the pouting and immature Megan you know that it's just a matter of time before it goes bad, and I feel like the sooner it happens the better.

I didn't see her as being desired by everyone, more that she was amusing to the men in a awkwardly seductive sort of way - fun to watch, but not to have. If things don't work out between Don and Megan, it will be just another aspect of the show. I don't think they're a great love match, but I do like her character, but I think I'm a party of 1 on that. :D From what I read here and other places, the majority of viewers dislike Megan intensely.

I like Megan, personally. I think that Don really 'traded up.' I really had no opinion one way or the other, until I saw how she was with Don's kids. That's where she won me over.

I'm going to step over to the minority opinion side and admit that I really liked Megan (brrrr, it's cold and lonely here! :)). She so captured the youth and possibilities of the era. She loved her husband, and dealt with him in a pretty straightforward way yet still showing him he's sexy to her. Do you think you would have liked her more if she wasn't married to Don? Lots of people seem to want him to go back to his wild ways, so maybe the dislike of Megan was because their marriage seemed to tame Don a bit (sort of a shock treatment, marital-style).

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
As I've said, I liked Faye so I didn't like Megan last year, agreeing with most here that she was forced on us, but I do now. 1. 'Zou Bisou Bisou.' She's Laura Petrie sexy. 2. The marriage (Don's love and fidelity) shows Don's deeper than most around him.

Worf

I'll Lock Up

[HELLO Folks! She's 20 years his junior!!!! A kid of the 60's, never been to war, broke or down and out. Of course she going to seem petulant and immature next to the mountain that is Don. Crap she's more mature than Roger Sterling if you ask me. Rich and powerfull men get younger, trophy wives. It's what they do. It's called arm candy. Me personally, I hink Don did alright for himself, she's young AND tallented to boot as a singer. I don't think that the majority of female viewers would be happy with ANY woman DD married because... well it wasn't them....

Worf

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Well, no, not if you know his real character - which we all do. ;)

I think Megan handles Don pretty well - yes, she's immature in a way, but she does also show the emerging women's movement of rebelling against the "women know their place" mentality. Surprisingly, Don behaves around her, which is an interesting character development in itself. When she threw the food and told him to sit down and eat with her, that's exactly what he did - which surprised me.

I don't dislike Megan - I think she has had a lot of time on screen this season, but I see that changing next season as she is finally going to be moving on with her career. I anticipate she'll get a part in Hollywood and Don will be faced with moving to California. That will be interesting to watch...

C-dot

Call Me a Cab

Do you think you would have liked her more if she wasn't married to Don? Lots of people seem to want him to go back to his wild ways, so maybe the dislike of Megan was because their marriage seemed to tame Don a bit (sort of a shock treatment, marital-style).

That's the funny thing - I love the new Don. I hated seeing him cheat on Betty again and again, and I was happy that he committed to Megan completely. Weird!

I didn't mind her in small doses before, like others have said. It might be a combination of seeing too much of her and the fact that she is a bit on the petulant side. I don't care how much younger than Don she is, she's nearly 30 years old herself and nearly 30 year old married women don't jump to conclusions, run out on their husbands from hotels, lock their husbands out from their apartment, etc. That's probably why I didn't warm to her.

Gene

Practically Family
I was thinking Megan's "auditions" this whole time was her going out and cheating on Don. I could see the tables being turned and the player becoming the one who gets played, if the writers decided to go that route (although IMO it would be way too obvious).

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
Her age has nothing to do with how immature she behaves. Yes, her upbringing probably does. Her father probably spoiled her and her mother was jealous of it.

I doubt very few women watching this show would actually want to be married to Don, knowing everything that the viewers know about him. That's silly. I liked Faye and I also like Rachel Menken. I'd rather see Don be married and dealing with a women who is more on his level - like either one of them, rather than someone who has no personal identity yet.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
This is sooo funny... all you women say you wouldn't want to be married to Don "knowing what you know". Well I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts if he was fresh out of the pool and lighting two cigs you'd be whistling a very different tune. I'm a straight male and even I think he's sexy as hell. AND knowing how many "good" women I've seen fall for "bad" boys and men, I think you're all peddling a bunch of papers.

Worf

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
Marrying him and thinking that he's sexy are 2 different things. Just because a woman thinks that a man is sexy or that she wants to have sex with him doesn't mean that she wants to marry him and have his babies.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Beth was the wife of Pete's fellow train commuter - the guy that sold life insurance and kept telling Pete about his hot new girlfriend in the city. Beth and Pete slept together a few episodes back; Pete found her at the train station waiting for her husband, but she had locked her keys in her car. Her husband was out catting around and Pete covered for him, and drove Beth home.

Aha! That's why I couldn't place her. It's the one episode that failed when I set it record on my Sky+ box! Thanks fortworthgal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails