Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
MrBern said:
Chevalier, FYI:

"And this year actually, I've designed almost all of the suits for the principal male cast and Brooks Brothers produced them for us. But all of their suits were designed by me."

Interesting and good to know. In the show's 2nd season, my friend Ben McGinty --a vintage clothing dealer-- was approached by their wardrobe people. They were looking far and wide for early 1960s suits with their original vests. Not so easy to find ... and a 'signature' part of Roger Sterling's wardrobe.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Interesting and good to know. In the show's 2nd season, my friend Ben McGinty --a vintage clothing dealer-- was approached by their wardrobe people. They were looking far and wide for early 1960s suits with their original vests. Not so easy to find ... and a 'signature' part of Roger Sterling's wardrobe.

There was another thread somewhere ..I cant find it now, where we briefly discussed this. I'd been hearing from the Madison Ave Brooks Bros that the Mad Men costumers were making extensive use of the archives. I didnt know they were using their tailors to produce garments as well.

It makes sense geographically. Tho Im not sure how many of the younger guys in the office wouldve afforded BB suits back then. More likely they'd be at Gimbels looking for a sale.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Just an observation............

Janie Bryant is attempting to take credit for the 50's style.....blatantly angling for a label. I've been watching the runways and street, there's been a negligible MM effect; certainly not for girls and the boy's stuff has been around for a decade. Janie is spinnin' some stuff.............

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Well, the skinny ties were appearing before Mad Men. I think our thread on thin ties appearing on Red Carpet events was in 2005.
But she does allow that high end labels were doing skinny suits before the show came out so she's not taking all the credit.

Anyway, Mad Men has done a lot more for the `60s style popularity that say...DOWN WITH LOVE.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
Is MM in the 60's now? Before we know it there'll be hippies smokin' pot. :eusa_doh: I sorta liked it.....:eek:

When was MM not in the `60s?

On this weekend's the anniversary of Woodstock its undeniable that most people think of the later 60s as defining that era. Moptops to Hippies.

Mad Men has done a great job of reviving interest in those pre-Beatle days of a Breakfast At Tiffanys NYC.

Down With Love...a fine little movie. I appreciate it as one of the last films with Tony Randall. But it sure didnt start any trends.

Feraud

Bartender
Tomasso said:
Is MM in the 60's now? Before we know it there'll be hippies smokin' pot. :eusa_doh: I sorta liked it.....:eek:
If the show goes another few seasons we may yet see Don tokin' on a spliff for inspiration instead of an old fashioned.
Imagine those pitch meetings..

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Feraud said:
If the show goes another few seasons we may yet see Don tokin' on a spliff for inspiration instead of an old fashioned.
lol lol

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Actually, I suspect that Don is going to be passed by. He is, after all, an embodiment of the Establishment. His story arc will move from his being prince of the city when the series began in 1960 to being a confused has-been in 1970, trying to fit into a world that has changed around him enormously.

And Betty is ripe for the burgeoning Women's Lib movement.

That's my guess, anyway - if the show goes long enough.

jackfromdfw

New in Town
RE:

Feraud said:

Actually, Don Draper got high in the first season with one of his lovers who is also dating a beatnik.

Season 1 - takes place in 1960
Season 2 - 1962
Season 3 - 1963/64 - Kennedy still in office at the Premiere.

I finally broke down and watched all 26 episodes in 5 days. Funny to see parts of my apartment as the furnishings and props. A lot of glassware and lamps I have and had turns up and I have the same clock that hangs in Sal's office. I had bid on those wall hangings in the Campbell's apartment on e-bay a few years back but lost. I wonder if it was to the prop department for the show.

Regards,

Jack

MrBern said:
the plane crash that killed Pete Cambell's father seems to have been an actual event. A real life casualty was Louise Linder Eastman, mother of Linda Eastman- PaulMcCartney's ex wife.
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/04/reliving-a-1962-crash-on-mad-men/
and
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,939941,00.html

For a reason I forget, my uncle was involved with the clean up of this disaster. I do remember him telling me he would never give to the Red Cross again because they were on the site charging 5 cents for coffee while the Salvation Army was giving it to the workers for free.

Feraud

Bartender
Between the humidity, being referred to as a "costumed fan", and interview questions about which Mad Men gal would you sleep with, I am glad I spent the evening home in the air conditioning. :)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Between the humidity, being referred to as a "costumed fan", and interview questions about which Mad Men gal would you sleep with, I am glad I spent the evening home in the air conditioning. :)

Oh the Mad Men party at the Roosevelt Hotel bar was far better, with refreshing AC, free 12 yr old Dewars , and prizes for the best outfits.
I won a Dewars flask & a Tshirt.

I'd go there every sunday for a friendly MadMen nite. It was a very different experience to watch the show with enthusiastic fans.

BTW, I love this MadMen-esque pants advert:
http://lolblips.dailyradar.com/story/this_is_how_they_used_to_sell_pants_and_mount_women/
2487451715_c2951aa58f.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I hate to say it, but I thought the production values seemed lower for this season. The suits looked thin and odd, and the sets felt more clausterphobic. Did they have their budget dramatically reduced or something?

The acting was superb as ever, though.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy