Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mafia Don?

Mycroft

One Too Many
The Captain said:
Vladimir, the "jaunty angle" seems to be the rule of the day for hat wearers back then, but I agree, it's cool!
Mycroft, the photo was hand-colored (as were most all of them back then) and has stood the test of time for over 60 years!

Very cool, I have colored Black and Whites, but know that I think will last for that long.

riccardo

Practically Family
mmm Mafia?

Hi to all.
I'm from Sicilia...don't be afraid...i'm not a mafioso :p .
Here, until today,Mafia is a reality.
Not like the movies we see at the cinema. Mafia is more "intelligent" than in the past time.
Mafia and political come toghether,sometimes, business and Mafia...
Mafia is a reality in all the country, a lot of honest men fight every day against this corrupt life's custom. Some of them dead in this fight.
Two nearest important names are Giovanni Falcone and Paolo Borsellino...they are only two their bodyguard dead with them...and a lot of others honest men...
I think, also, how many italian came in USA during the 30' 40'. A lot of them were very very poor, others were desperate a few of them were fugitives.
They arrived in USA, a lot of them help USA in his work, they were bricklayers, carpenters, bakery...some of them became "mafioso".
It was't a beautiful story, for the italian nor for the americans.
Today we can see these pics, and laugh about these times and about these pics.
We can enjoy these memories,but never we shoud forget this story.

Best regards.
Riccardo.

The Captain

One of the Regulars
Thank you, Riccardo, for the "real" story. It seems that the Mafia, like every other corrupt group, has re-invented itself for the 21st century. Your linking of politics and Mafia doesn't surprise me. The true faces of politicians never show during speeches and fund raising, it's while engaging in back room deals with people that want to buy their support that they revert back to their real selves. I don't know if you have read it, but my Grandparents came from Corleone. My Grandfather was a cooper (barrel maker) in the old country and when bootleggers here in the US asked him to make barrels for them, he said no, it was against the law.

riccardo

Practically Family
Great history.

Hi Captain,
this is a great story, i would like to know anything about it.
Here there are very few barrel makers, i have heard about one (a fabric) near Marsala, at west from Palerno Marsala is in the district of Trapani.
...what a wonderful story, to be continued...

Sincerely.
Riccardo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran