Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mafia Don?

The Captain

One of the Regulars
Here is a photo that I just found of my Mother, Father and my paternal Grandmother taken sometime in the early '30s. He looks like a Mafioso!
Taken in Omaha, Nebraska.
MomDadinthe30s.jpg

shamus

Suspended
Nice pic!

I'm pretty sure that Omaha, Nebraska in the 30's wasn't exactly the Mob capitial.. but ya' never know. Maybe your ..."connected"

captain spectre

New in Town
Andykev,
Yep, it is all mine......from the idea, to the story to the art, even the html....
hey and thanks for looking at it.....hope you downloaded your FREE membership card.......it's a bit of that secret squadron nostalgia the site has going.... I try to update it once a week, on Monday evenings...... so visit often.......

The Captain

One of the Regulars
Mycroft, many thanks for the "Mafia in Omaha" link. I was (sort of) surprised
at how many names I recognized! Not only that, but I frequented many of the establishments run by the alledged bookies. The Rocket Pool Hall was a second home to many of my friends - the pool shooters. If I listen real hard I can still hear the click of the balls. Thanks again!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Humm, tough call. I would say right off the bat he has the look of doing rather well in such hard times. There were rather questionable means of business back in those days in most of the country. So, if you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re not up to snuff on your family history, you may want to start to dig and find out what you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re roots are and what some of your family did for work. It can be hard, but if he did live a life of crime, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m sure there is a written history some where about him.

Any way, most of our humble ancestors do look like mob bosses to the average Joe today for the reason of wearing a hat and a suit. Go fig.

Root.

The Captain

One of the Regulars
Root, the caption I put on the photo was really in jest. It was the look that made me do it! He just looks so much like our image of "a man of questionable means". Actually, he served in the Army Airforce during WWII and then stayed in the service until he retired. I have some cool photos of him in uniform. "Connected?" Not really.

The Captain

One of the Regulars
Mycroft said:
No prob, do you got any good stories on the mob in Omaha or the people in the article?

Mycroft, as the old saying goes, "If I told you, I'd have to kill you!" Just kidding, the names were in the press a lot and some of the "establishments" I frequented were owned and run by those same people, but the link you sent was pretty thorough. I learned things I didn't know and I lived there until I was 22 (1957).

Mycroft

One Too Many
The Captain said:
Mycroft, as the old saying goes, "If I told you, I'd have to kill you!" Just kidding, the names were in the press a lot and some of the "establishments" I frequented were owned and run by those same people, but the link you sent was pretty thorough. I learned things I didn't know and I lived there until I was 22 (1957).

I always had a death wish ;). Very cool anyhow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran