Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Make Do and Mend

Flivver

Practically Family
Good Luck at the Dump

My 20 year old CD player gave up the ghost last week. I was considering replacing it with a new one but now I don't have to.

While at the dump yesterday, I found a late model Sony DVD player. It even had a bit of snow on it! But it looked clean so I took it home.

It works perfectly! So I'm using it to replace the failed CD player in my audio system.

When I was a kid, going to the dump with my Dad was always one of my favorite things to do.

And it's *still* fun!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I am currently trying to figure out how to make an above ground garden pound type deal out of a kiddie pool. If any one has any ideas, I would love to hear them. (I believe this fits in with the making do and mend theme, as I am not looking to spend a zillion dollars on buying all new items, etc)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd probably start by washing it down, inside and out, with a brush & soapy water to get all the dirt & oil out of it, and then once it was completely dry, spray it with the spray paint for plastic (the name escapes me at the moment) in a dark brown, dark olive green - something more "pond-y" looking than the little bright-colored fish & birds & such most kiddie pools have. Black's great if you want something more modern looking and it'll make the reflections on the surface more visible. Friends had a reflecting pool and then did a light flecking / splattering of gold to sparkle a little in the sunlight and then stenciled around the edge of a few leaves with a charcoal gray that was just ever so slighty lighter than the black - sort of a ghostly image of leaf shadows of leaves that weren't on the surface.

The big thing is to get it absolutely level. Once you fill it up, it becomes really apparent that the water level looks higher or lower on one side. In-ground, you could put rocks or plants overhanging the edge to camoflauge it better. It really depends if you're thinking of it as more formal & fancy, or natural & casual.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I still keep thinking of this thread when I am about to spend money.

I havent bought anything but groceries in over a six weeks. No side splurge, no convenient store spend, nothing. No extra cash to spare. When I do see something online, or those slew of catalogs I get (I really need to put my self on one of those no lists) I look at the stuff and say,

"I dont need that."
"I can make that."
"Oh, I can change what I have to work..."

Problem solving a way to not spend money is now more fun than spending it (to a degree ;) ).

Its becoming habit now. Anyone else experiencing these thrift tips turning out feeling 'right' to them?

LD

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I was thinking about getting a stand for my free weights. But I have a maple desk I don't use--I can put them on that. I've thought about making something to set on top of the weights that will look nice and that I can easily remove.

I'll put my new treadmill where the desk is now. I found a good small one on Craigslist; new ones I looked at were huge and started at over $300.

Josephine

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Its becoming habit now. Anyone else experiencing these thrift tips turning out feeling 'right' to them?

LD

Well, I was a pinch penny to begin with, but with the sekrit vacation, I don't buy *anything but groceries. I'm afraid though it might be getting into the realm of not getting my kids things that they need. I have to get out of that mentality.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Living on the cheap is actually one of the more liberating things you can do, I think -- once you've freed yourself of the idea that you "need" things you really don't, and realize it's entirely possible to live without them, it takes a lot of the day to day pressure off. As one who's lived cheap all her life, I welcome you all to the Sister-and-Brotherhood of the Squeezed Nickel!

D

DeaconKC

There's an old Scot's proverb "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without."
Lot's of truth in that.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
I have to agree with lady day. It is becoming a habit for me, and thats good right now b/c I am moving next month and would normally want 5 million things before I REALLY know what I want! I am trying to find anything that needs to be bought new on sale and anything that can be bought used at the thrift store or asking friends(I mean who does'nt like getting rid of useless stuff sitting around?:D ).

Samantha

Flivver

Practically Family
My dad, a classic depression-era New Englander, taught me the virtues of thrift when I was a child.

I'm certainly glad he did...particularly these days. I'm still using things he saved/repaired forty years ago!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
When I saw these posters,

I thought of this thread. These were at the Cincinnati Museum Center. More photos from the Center in the Steamer Trunk.

DSC_0315.jpg

DSC_0310.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
*bump*

One thing I find, dressing vintage, is that you tend to participate in appropriate time clothing. Work, play, and formal, I mean. As soon as I come home from what ever I am doing, I throw on my beater clothes, saving wear and tare, and less washing!

What a money saver :)

LD

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Sunny said:
Silly, you'd soak it in a basin or a bowl. :p

You might try Oxy-Clean, as well. I have a white muslin nightgown that gradually turned rather yellow and (frankly) greasy-feeling, and even felt like that right out of the washer. Yuck! But if I soak it in an Oxy-Clean solution for maybe five hours, and then wash it with some more, it comes out all white again. Just don't forget the detergent, as I did once when I was trying to get mud out of petticoats. That didn't work! lol
You mean RetroClean? ;) Yes silly me I admit I bought it on ebay when I was still new to the whole game :eek: and was very pleased with the repackaged oxyclean. Love the stuff :D

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I just wanted to bump this thread and discuss a bit about what I am doing.

And granted, this means I -had- all this crud around...but everyone can reform right?

Right now, I am channelling all my resources (which are sorta meagre to begin with) into QM expenses.

I like my evening baths, its my one treat thing daily. So in both the guise of making do and simplifying, I am using up what I have in terms of salts, bubble bath etc. Means the scents might not always be what I am in the mood for...

Same goes for conditioner, using up all the random ones I only -sort of - liked.

And I am eating from the kitchen cabinets, too. To the point where I have probably reduced my food expenses by 3/4. And when I am done with it, things will also be neater, better organized, etc.

I have not bought anything on ebay since very early October. Am using up, and re-finding things I have already.

And while sure, I could buy stuff...so its not quite the dire necessity thing, it is still good enough motivation to help -clear- my life of some of the random stuff. After all, seeing friends is a great motivator to save up.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Similar to bath salts - I am going thru all the remnant shampoos. Yuck I hate it but it has to be done. Once I am thru I am allowed to get a nice bottle of the expensive stuff.

I have 8 billion purses that I only use a few of. I have decided to repair some of my out of service ones with bamboo handles and a good cleaning. Also some ones that have no particular value I am going to spruce up with some pinstriping. I've been teaching myself and figure this is a good project that isn't nearly as intimidating as a painting the BF's car.

I went thru my mothers basement and am restoring a few bikes so that I have a fun project to work on this winter.

Oh and that pile of shoes that I no longer wear because the heel tips are gone - well off they went for repair. That is the first time I have ever done that. Proud that I choose this direction rather than sashaying into my local DSW for some new ones.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I had 4 pairs of shoes repaired/cleaned. It was cheaper than a new pair and I get to wear some of my favorite shoes again.

I Also went through my closet and took out all the stuff I didint wear that I made them into different things (skirts into blouses, etc.).

I did the shampoo use up on my last move.

But now that Im broke, I try and treat myself to a $10 treat every few weeks. I cant always d it, but sometimes a treat can help you feel better.

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This evening, I just put on the stove the first pot of dry beans to soak of the season.

While Im sure many dont associate dry beans with economic hardship, I certainly do, because they are cheap, plentiful and filling.

These are last years over stock, and once they have simmered all day tomorrow, Im gonna raid my spice cabinet and us e up all my old spices.

Mmmmmmm beans! :D

LD

shortbow

Practically Family
LD, a hint: You can save a lot of time and trouble with beans this way;

Boil for five minutes. Set aside for one hour. Cook for another hour. Done.

I used to use the soak overnight and cook all day thing, but the above method works just a well and saves lots of time and energy.

Have really enjoyed this thread. The simplicity advocated by folks like HD Thoreau flows from and around this type of thinking, and as the economy continues to tank and more folks are forced into it, the spiritually and emotionally liberating benefits of opting out of the "more is better" mentality that is at the root of our debt-laden system will be appreciated by increasing numbers of people.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks for the tip :)

On my next batch, Ill have to try it.
A lot of the bean soak goes back to childhood, when my Granny would set them on the stove while making stuff for winter.

Speaking of which, Im starting to make my own bread. Im tired of paying so much for bread.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn