Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

make-up for a recovering tomboy

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
You're right, Tatum... I should have qualified my statement. I started out with cheap brushes to learn which ones I needed and used a lot, then went and bought good versions of those (God I hate finding shed brush hairs stuck to my face :p). No sense in spending $$ on brushes you won't use. Also, art supply stores are wonderful resources for smaller brushes, eye liner and the like, and have other useful supplies like brush drying racks. But that may be deeper into the girly bits than you wish to delve just yet, Smumo :)

BettieBombshellBeauty

New in Town
^ hehe... I have a $40 MAC foundation brush and I still prefer my cheapie ;)

eh, price sometimes doesn't mean anything lol.

i've bought the silk foundation from Armani that was 59 bucks. i went back to my 6 dollar foundation and gave the Armani foundation to a friend who is my skin tone and a high-end whore. (Automatically thinks higher prices equal better quality. yeah....no)

Tatum

Practically Family
Sometimes that's the way it is. I swear by my MAC foundation, but prefer Boots tinted moisturizer. ULTA also has great products, they carry their own line as well as the expensive stuff.

Gracie Lee turned me on to some lip stains this weekend, that I purchased at Target but I forgot the brands and I don't feel like digging through my purse at the moment. I think it's relevant to mention, as when I first started wearing lippy, I would forget to touch it up. That would also be a great beginner item to have, lip stain, since you can pretty much forget it's on. :)

BettieBombshellBeauty

New in Town
Sometimes that's the way it is. I swear by my MAC foundation, but prefer Boots tinted moisturizer. ULTA also has great products, they carry their own line as well as the expensive stuff.

Gracie Lee turned me on to some lip stains this weekend, that I purchased at Target but I forgot the brands and I don't feel like digging through my purse at the moment. I think it's relevant to mention, as when I first started wearing lippy, I would forget to touch it up. That would also be a great beginner item to have, lip stain, since you can pretty much forget it's on. :)

I still do that :whistling

I need to go buy a few lipstains from revlon. i've spent probably just under a hundred dollars on more expensive lip tints and stains that really were not worth the packaging they came in.

Last edited:

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
I'm glad to see I'm not the only "vintage" gal that doesn't wear a lot of makeup. I noticed that after I turned 28 my face couldn't handle foundation -- I breakout something terrible. Now 5 years later foundation seems to enhance fine wrinkles so I don't even waste my precious dollars. I haven't tried tinted moisturizer.....I might look into that one. All I use is a light powder to cover the shininess, blush & mascara (eyelash curler is a girls best friend <3). Concealer under my eyes & a light eyeshadow if I look a little tired. I don't leave the house without my Burt's Bees lip shimmer & medicated lip balm. I also carry in my handbag a jumbo lip pencil which aids in both lining & all over color then I just smooth it out with lip balm.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer

We picked up Cover Girl, but I also use Maybelline, and have heard good reviews of the Revlon stains. They're so easy to wear, and if you toss your favorite lip balm on (I love the Chapsticks natural line) they last longer and feel like you're not wearing anything. You have to make sure you let them dry all the way, as they're water based, but then you just go on with life :)

My big splurge is my MAC foundation - it's the only stuff I've ever tried that doesn't cake in the fine lines around my eyes. Most days, I blend it with my moisturizer on the back of my hand b/c I prefer a more sheer natural look.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Aww, all you gals who didn't get into makeup 'til later in life are making me feel like a right trollop lol! I started wearing embarrassingly large quantities of liquid cat-eye liner and red lipstick when I was 16.

Anyway, Smumo, those YouTube makeup tutorials never fail to make me feel all anxious about not having the right products. The truth is, liquid eyeliner, lengthening mascara, foundation, lip liner, and lipstick are all you'll ever need. I use my lipstick as blush most days; I just dab some on my finger and rub it along my cheekbones. For years I struggled with a brush liquid liner (L'Oreal Lineur Intense), but Almay's brush-tip liner is my new favorite: it's so so easy to get even lines with it. Also, since you said you want a quick routine, look into a lipstain! The ol' lip liner/lipstick routine doesn't really take that long, but with a lipstain you don't have to worry about reapplying it. I myself like Revlon's Just Bitten in Gothic.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Aww, all you gals who didn't get into makeup 'til later in life are making me feel like a right trollop lol! I started wearing embarrassingly large quantities of liquid cat-eye liner and red lipstick when I was 16.

Oh dear lol If you're a trollop then I wonder what I am, having started at age 11!

I haven't read the entire thread so I don't know if its been mentioned, but are you ladies using your primer? Especially speaking of eyes, a good primer will last you for months and make the cheapest eyeliners and shadows go on and stay on! When I worked at Sephora, I would always recommend Too Faced's Shadow Insurance. I have very deep set eyes so creases with shadow was a problem for me, but I'll never worry about that again. I don't even retouch my liner. Anyone who tries it will be converted :)

Tatum

Practically Family
C-dot, good mention about the primer. For eyeshadow I like MAC's Painterly Paint Pot. Smashbox makes a green primer that I use to help with redness.

I just started using Bare Minerals... After our FoF outing I felt all cakey and gross, and I noticed my foundation wasn't holding up in the heat. Gracie Lee and I ended up at Ulta, hunting for lippy, and I tried it out and really liked it. It's great for everyday, as it hides the rosacea imperfections but I don't look like I have on foundation. Even after a day in the garden I look good!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot