Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Makeup Ad from the 40's! Check out the eyebrows!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Kimberly said:
BTW: I was watching Fashion Police a few weeks ago and they had a beauty expert who said no only should you tweeze eyebrows, but you should trim them too. I can't even imagine trimming my eybrows. I would think you would need a real steady hand or you would wind up chopping them off completely. :eek:

I trim off what little eyebrow hairs I have with scissors. My drawn-on brows look MUCH better than the barely-there, scattered-about natural brow hair that I have. I think drawn-on brows look neat!!

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
RetroModelSari said:
?ç used to be unhappy with my eyebrows cause they are rather straight. I used to sit infront of my mirror pulling the skin above my brows up trying how it would look with a higher arch. But now I¬¥m actually happy with them. Same with my mouth. I hated my small mouth. But I learned to do my best with lipstick :)

It's so silly, I have dark eyebrows with high arches, but my boyfriend really likes the straight, slightly sad Louise Brooks-kind! In the past, when he's been going "look what pretty eyebrows she has" over some actress I've tried to pluck mine straight, but it's just impossible because of the shape of my brow bones. I have to remind myself that I actually like my "evil" eyebrows the way they are. It's so stupid! lol

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
ShrinkingViolet said:
It's so silly, I have dark eyebrows with high arches, but my boyfriend really likes the straight, slightly sad Louise Brooks-kind! In the past, when he's been going "look what pretty eyebrows she has" over some actress I've tried to pluck mine straight, but it's just impossible because of the shape of my brow bones. I have to remind myself that I actually like my "evil" eyebrows the way they are. It's so stupid! lol

The gras is allways greener on the other side lol

Kim_B

Practically Family
The easiest way to trim your brows is to use a small brow brush to brush them up (up as in, toward your hair line). Then, using small scissors, trim the hairs that stick up above the highest part of your brow. It's quite simple to do, really, and it helps keep them tidy looking. At least, this is how I was shown to do it by a make-up artist.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
This may sound totally strange, but to get a bit of an arch when you brows are straight, raise one eyebrow. You know, that quizzical look with just one eyebrow up.

I wasn’t able to raise my eyebrows individually, so I decided I would just teach myself. After about 3 months of practice, I was able to raise my left eyebrow on its own. I was satisfied with my accomplishments and the new range of facial expressions that were available to me, so I never bothered to try with my right.

I have estheticians comment often on the arch in my left eyebrow and the lack of an arch in my right. I strengthened the muscles in my left brow so much over the past several years that my brow arches now! I am in the process of trying to teach myself to raise just the right one now. Slow progress, that’s for sure! The muscles are getting stronger, and I hope to have even eyebrows any month now, lol

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KittyT said:
one can always shave/wax their eyebrows and then use temporary tattoo eyebrows or adhesive human hair ones :)

http://www.headcovers.com/item.php?next=0&cat=Eyebrows
Oh my goodness, who would of thought they make eyebrow toupee's!! I think that would be easier than using the Topik stuff I was talking about earlier. Although I still might give it a try, I think it will just wash right off with warm water if I don't like the look.

My older sister has been obsessed with her eyebrows since she was a teen. (she's also obsessed with pedicures, but that's a entirely different part of her OCD) Anyway, she has these beautiful, full, just the right thickness brows. If she wanted to do the pictured high arched brows, it wouldn't take much. But, she likes them thin and straight. I could strangle her sometimes, she doesn't know how good she's got it. I guess some kids called her "bushy brows" when she was in middle school, and ever since then she insisted on getting them thinned. She had electrolosis done when she was 15 to thin them, and she carries a tweezer with her at all times, just in case she out and happens to look in the mirror and see a stray. Ugh. She seems to have gotten the better genes in my family:(

Goodie2Shoes

New in Town
I LOVE those eyebrows. I printed out the pic because I have an appt. to get mine waxed tomorrow. We'll see how it turns out. I don't have a good arch but I settle for any arch because like someone else mentioned it makes me look younger I think! :eusa_clap

Goodie2Shoes

New in Town
Good News, I looked up some info on eyebrow threading and I found a place where I live that does it. It's an indian owned day spa. Since this is a custom in India I am hoping they will do a good job. So I think I might try it....if anyone has anything to throw in about it before I take the plunge please do!

Kimberly

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
*those eyebrows scare me* :eek:

LD

:eek: ;) :D

I love them but can understand why some people would be put off by them. They are a little extreme but very well groomed. They would be a pain to maintain though. I can't tweeze my eyebrows anymore or I won't have any. I may try and fool around w/ a pencil and see if I can at least get a little curve on the part that is near my inner eye.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Here is a color photo of Betty Grable--she has similarly shaped brows in this photo, and is also wearing an interesting shade of blue-grey eye shadow:

betty2.jpg

Sunny

One Too Many
jitterbugdoll said:
Here is a color photo of Betty Grable--she has similarly shaped brows in this photo, and is also wearing an interesting shade of blue-grey eye shadow:

And she's definitely not wearing stockings! I'm glad I'm not the only one whose skin has that uneven color ever-so-slightly-freckled effect without the freckles. :eek:

Is the blue-gray unusual? I've been using nothing but brown for a while, and I'm starting to get bored with it.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Sunny said:
And she's definitely not wearing stockings! I'm glad I'm not the only one whose skin has that uneven color ever-so-slightly-freckled effect without the freckles. :eek:

Is the blue-gray unusual? I've been using nothing but brown for a while, and I'm starting to get bored with it.

Actually, it was a popular color in the late 30s-early 40s (worn in the 1950s as well.) I have a magazine from 1939 that remarks upon the color combo of the moment--blue shadow worn with bright pink lipstick.

Sunny

One Too Many
Oh, good! It's definitely a good color for me, and I think I've finally found my niche in the late 1930s and very early 1940s anyway.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ok, I tried doing my blush different today and I think it really helped! I've been so used to brushing it all along the cheekbone, really counturing. But that pic is just so youthful and I'm feeling SO old! SO, I did just the apples of my cheeks today and I felt much younger, lol!
Nikki

Goodie2Shoes

New in Town
So I went and did the eyebrow threading thing...my eyebrows have never looked so good! I love it! They are absolutely perfectly shaped and both of them are exactly the same (trivial but rare for me--lol) I'm a believer now. I have sensitive skin when it comes to eyebrow waxing and I used to have 2 days of red itchy eyebrows. My husband says it looks like a red raccoon mask (men are so sweet aren't they?) but with the threading I had no reaction. Now I don't have to plan 2 or 3 days ahead of time to get my brows fixed up to go out. YEA!! thanks to the girlie who mentioned it....when I get a chance I'll have a pic taken to show everyone. :eusa_clap

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn