Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making mens clothing: where are the vintage mens clothing patterns?

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Eva Dress

:bump2:

What's the difference between the '34 trouser pattern, and the 40's trouser pattern?

I'd be giving the pattern and the fabric to my tailor as I have no experience in sewing. Would the patterns work with striped fabric, and could the tailor potentially alter the trouser fronts to include 2 inverted British pleats? Or would this sort of change require extensive alterations to the nature of the pattern?

Thanks,

dakotanorth

Practically Family
:bump2:
What's the difference between the '34 trouser pattern, and the 40's trouser pattern?
I'd be giving the pattern and the fabric to my tailor as I have no experience in sewing. Would the patterns work with striped fabric, and could the tailor potentially alter the trouser fronts to include 2 inverted British pleats? Or would this sort of change require extensive alterations to the nature of the pattern?
Thanks,

I have not actually used either of these patterns, but I own the multi-size 1934 pattern, and then I have other patterns from the 40's.
The 1934 pattern is PLAIN front- no pleats. Also the waistband is pretty tall- this is easy to change mind you, but that's what you start with.
The 40's patterns in general tend to have shorter waistbands. Plus, post war clothing in general had a more relaxed style- fuller cuts, looser lines, etc.

If you're looking to do British pleats, use a 40's pattern- EvaDress's 40's pattern could be a good start. Adding pleats the plain-front pants means widening the leg patterns, namely.
The pieces are arranged correctly for patterned fabrics, so that's never a problem. Patterns always run straight down each leg- notice in the seat how the stripes make a chevron- they are merging together.

The 1934 pattern was resized from a BOY'S pattern too- I would assume it was "corrected" for the differences in the adult male body (compared to teenage male) but I've never heard a confirmation on that.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
I have used the 40s pattern and altered it to make Hollywood Waist trousers, and I think the inverted pleats would not be a problem at all. You can see mine under the Hollywood Waist thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic