Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making Soda-Water the Old-Fashioned Way?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hey folks.

I wasn't sure where to post this. If there's a more suitable location, a moderator can move it there.

I've been experimenting with making soda-water the old-fashioned way, but I only have a basic understanding of how this works, and I can't really find any instructions about how to do it online. So hopefully someone with more knowledge than me, can help.

I'm going by what I saw in a historical TV documentary series. It seems to work, but not as well as I'd like.

So if anyone has any tips, that'd be nice.

I'm using citric acid and baking soda, mixed in water, to try and make carbon dioxide gas. Sealed in a bottle of water, this is supposed to create soda-water (the basis of all modern soft-drinks).

The problem is, I don't know what ratios of water, soda and acid to use. And I can't find any reliable information online.

Once the water is treated with soda and acid, the bottle is sealed, and then thoroughly shaken to mix the ingredients and get the gaseous reaction going. But I can never get enough gas.

I figure I just need to add greater and greater quantities of soda and acid until I generate enough gas in the water. Is that about right?

stevew443

One of the Regulars
I have been using a soda siphon to create my own soda water. It is not as basic as your idea, but uses CO2 cartridges to make soda water. We have been using this for a couple of years now and it has been great.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I have a soda-siphon as well, but it's out of gas at the moment.

While I wait for a replacement gas-cylinder, I thought I'd try a little oldschool experimenting.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
This is a photograph of a proper Seltzogene (sometimes called a Gasogene):

Bicarbonate of Soda and Tartaric Acid were mixed in the upper chamber. A chemical reaction produced Carbonic Acid (CO2) which was then forced into solution in the water held in the lower chamber.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I've figured out the ratios now. Two teaspoons baking soda, to two teaspoons acid-powder in one bottle of water. Seal. Shake. Drink.

But I think I'll try using tartaric acid instead. See if it affects the taste. I think using citric acid is producing more of a sour taste than I'm used to.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've figured out the ratios now. Two teaspoons baking soda, to two teaspoons acid-powder in one bottle of water. Seal. Shake. Drink.

But I think I'll try using tartaric acid instead. See if it affects the taste. I think using citric acid is producing more of a sour taste than I'm used to.

Tartaric acid and baking soda is, basically, baking powder. Might try that.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I think to make baking powder is a different ratio, so it may not work. I'm gonna nip out and get some tartaric acid at the store and see if it makes any difference. It might be fun. See if it affects the taste.

Bicarbonate of Soda and Tartaric Acid were mixed in the upper chamber. A chemical reaction produced Carbonic Acid (CO2) which was then forced into solution in the water held in the lower chamber.

And if you weren't careful, the pressure got so high, your seltzogene turned into a frag-grenade and blew up on you. Hence the pretty wire-mesh all around it, to hold in the broken glass.

Last edited:

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
I think to make baking powder is a different ratio, so it may not work. I'm gonna nip out and get some tartaric acid at the store and see if it makes any difference. It might be fun. See if it affects the taste.

And if you weren't careful, the pressure got so high, your seltzogene turned into a frag-grenade and blew up on you. Hence the pretty wire-mesh all around it, to hold in the broken glass.

I think baking powder has conflour in it as well. If you're drinking the liquid with the dissolved powder in it then you don't want that. If you are using a separate liquid to create the gas and then bubbling it through to clean water then it shouldn't matter. I assume that you're using the former method as you say that citric acid affected the flavour.

Biopro

Familiar Face

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner