Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marilyn Monroe/1950s hair help - what do I tell my stylist?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, ladies! I'm very happy with it.

Here's today - no wash this morning, just touch-up with the curling iron.

1z2mv4o.jpg

katiesparkles

One of the Regulars
I mentioned it in another thread before already, but I love how it came out!

I'm planning to get my hair chopped on Saturday, I found this website called patch and they list a few salons in the area.. some including the founding date. I have three leads so far! Two full service salons, both look rather "old lady" (good!), one of them even has hair dryer hoods that look like they could be originally 50s or 60s. Of course, the image is so small that I could be wrong.. plus I'm not an expert.

The third one is a men's only barber shop which was founded in 1972, there's a picture of the owner (and I think only employee).

Doesn't he look like he could totally refer me to someone?? :D

d6444151ac6d8ee0344018b178ebc83c

3114f48f05f38cf1fc288c8fe9e7c07f

bb66e38f8fbceb0fd0bbef6fa1004a38

8776767ae5123e75b17d7018432db28

If the two other salons turn out to be a flop, I'll just beg him for a hair cut... hahaha.

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ Yay!!! Make sure you take pictures, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

When I was looking for someone, I called around and asked the salons if they typically worked on older clientele and did a lot of wet sets. I also asked if they knew how to do fingerwaves. Those things seemed to be the key, rather than asking for a specific type of cut. Once I found a salon I felt comfortable with, I asked for someone that typically works on older clientele and knew how to do those things. Avoid anything that advertises Brazilian blowout. :lol:

On a side note, that barber shop looks amazing! I had to send those pictures to my husband.

katiesparkles

One of the Regulars
I GOT MY HAIR CUT! :D It's a tad bit shorter than I wanted, but that was my mistake.. I brought middy instructions and forgot to tell the stylist to make it "a bit longer than what he thought would be good". Oh well, at least now all my frizzy ends are gone :) I will post a picture in a few hours, my hair is currently still in rollers... and that's not a pretty sight.

Forthworthgal, if you and the hubby are ever around here I'll be more than happy to bring you to the shop. :D
I'm trying to get my husband to go there, but he currently looks like he's on the way to Woodstock.. and likes it. :( I blame it on his laziness... he claims it's because in a few years he won't be able to grow his hair out. Hahaha.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I GOT MY HAIR CUT! :D It's a tad bit shorter than I wanted, but that was my mistake.. I brought middy instructions and forgot to tell the stylist to make it "a bit longer than what he thought would be good". Oh well, at least now all my frizzy ends are gone :) I will post a picture in a few hours, my hair is currently still in rollers... and that's not a pretty sight.

Forthworthgal, if you and the hubby are ever around here I'll be more than happy to bring you to the shop. :D
I'm trying to get my husband to go there, but he currently looks like he's on the way to Woodstock.. and likes it. :( I blame it on his laziness... he claims it's because in a few years he won't be able to grow his hair out. Hahaha.

I can't wait to see it! I'm sure it looks lovely. And if we ever make it up to your neck of the woods, we'll take you up on that offer!

Fortworthgal, may I just say that you have the loveliest peaches and cream complexion! Your hair looks great, too. :)

Oh, thank you!

Miss Sabrina Fairchild

Familiar Face

Flicka

One Too Many
She also told me (my hairdresser, I mean) that if I wanted a Marilyn do, I should just do rows of ordinary pincurls, but have standing pincurls for the front, because that would give me the signature curls and 'flipped' bangs Marilyn had.

Last edited:

lframe

One of the Regulars
Your hair looks fantastic! I got a haircut almost identical to that when I was on honeymoon in 1999. Except I was on a cruise ship in the middle of
the Atlantic and the girl that cut it was French. If I only knew then what I know now...

dimarie

New in Town
My mom did Marilyn's style. I remember watching her cut her own hair. crwitt is right about the uniform layers. My mom would hold her hair out from her head and cut sections and all were equal length from her head . Imagine a pompom... I guess.. You have very similar hair to my mom's so it will turn out gorgeous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ